Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham; Sunday 18th October; 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is that 8 or 9 (i think) unbeaten under Jose?

If Bale had scored, then the mood across Spurs fans would be different.

If Hugo had saved that hit and hope shot, again the mood would be very different.

Small margins.

Some of you need to grow a set of bollocks or fuck off to mumsnet.

Embarrassing second half, you could see us wilt when they got one back.

Sanchez is a lost cause, gets bullied every week. Bergwein offered nothing the whole time he was on and moura was just as much at fault for the own goal as he stood still and allowed their player to go past.

Taking off Tanguy cost us

No place for Sissoko Aurier and Sanchez in a team trying to be fighting for cups, pathetic. Feel really embarrassed at how we assumed it would be a walk in the park. Keep quiet in future until we have won the game. We've a long way to go. We are going to be a laughing stock after this. Souness is having a right laugh
O course we are, and deserve to be if we are honest.....Bales return with a 3-0 lead and somehow don’t win the game, you couldn’t write this shit....

one minute this is a team that can win the league, the next it draws with a bottom 4 club.. it’s football.
Winning this would never have meant we were on for the league.

Defense would still not have been right.

Too many mistakes in it with Dier and Sanchez.

Toby on his last legs as a top CB.

It's just not right, yet.

Also Aurier was one of the better players on the pitch until Winks came in, that's cause Sissoko was guardin his flank while Ndombele played a central role. Sissoko had also to play more central cause Winks was struggling there and left Aurier unprotected.

Aurier was giving up tons of space all game long. West Ham just wasn't able to take advantage of it because we were controlling the ball and running the game.

Once we started to give up the ball and let them attack us the space was still wide open and they were able to use it.

Aurier also got exposed as instead of being able to float around he now needed to defend and he gave away needless free kicks like he always does.

Even if people want to argue that it wasn't a foul by Aurier (it was) there was zero reason for him to do anything but watch the WH player run out of bounds. The WH player had his back to the goal, was going nowhere and Aurier bailed him out for no reason. Terrible from him on that play and in the game overall.

What a disappointing result. Great first half, but we were a different team in the second. We should have scored at least 2 or 3 more.

The 3rd goal was a an unstoppable shot. Can't blame anybody for that.
But the shot came after a dopey FK was given away.

Daft foul from Serge. Bad defensive header from Kane. Failed clearance on second ball from Winks.

As a team we didn’t do enough today, three nice goals and more chances but when the crunch came the team wilted.

sudden realization wtf GIF

To be in the elite, you have to crush teams and dominate when you're ahead.

You never sit back on it, as that is an invitation.

We didn't at manure; not sure why we thought we could here.

Good for us as a new squad to learn this so early on in the season.

I DO NOT want to see this again.

Bale is stiff and will need time to spin up into shape.

He should have been introduced in the final minutes after we'd properly regained control.
Don't blame Bale

Us not addressing the issue had nothing to do with us getting Vinicius. I always said that we needed both and could get both, but for you addressing two needs was way too much.

And Bale and Son have not shown that they could cover for the striker position. Instead we had to overplay Kane and have him playing in Europa League games he never should have been in.

I know it is too much for you to handle but addressing the back-up striker position had nothing to do with addressing the CB position. The biggest problem with us at CB is the club thinks Dier and Sanchez are good enough not that we also needed a back-up striker.

No you said a striker was bigger one hence the numerous discussions on this. It wasn’t, it was quite clear that it wasn’t. Vinicius will only get league games if Kane gets injured. Sanchez will get games, Dier will get games and so will Toby because that is all we had. CB was one of the main priorities and we didn’t address this - it was a far bigger priority than a back up striker but absolutely everyone was still living in the first half of the year to extent the club even joked about it on social media. So well done you - you turned out to be right - it was a bigger priority, clearly.

Some calm thoughts...

We were never really in control of the game, not outside of patches. A telling stat is that West Ham had 4 shots to our 3 when we went 3-0 up. We were clinical as fuck. I don't think Davinson was as bad as people make out and if he doesn't make any kind of connection with the ball for his OG then it's falling to Bowen and getting scored. I'd actually point towards Lucas and Reguilón doing their best Keystone Cops impression on the edge of the box as the main fault for that second West Ham goal.

On our defence: well, good and bad. We handled Antonio excellently throughout but a running theme this season is poor defending of free kicks crossed into the box for headed goals. Aurier had a mixed bag and gave away stupid fucking fouls from that trouble spot time and again. I was livid when he did it at the end because I just fucking knew that one way or another it was gonna give them an equaliser.

The double sub was a mistake. Bale on, yes, but Winks for Ndombele? With hindsight that was a poor decision. I'm not about to join the vitriol towards Winks but plonking him in changed the midfield dynamic for the worse.

To go back to what I said about Lanzini never scoring like that again - another fine margin is Bale being one on one with the goalkeeper and putting it just wide. That would have killed the game right there.

Maybe Dier coming back into our central defence will help. I didn't think I'd be saying this but if we have any title hope then I think Rodon is going to have to turn out brilliant and fight his way into the first team. I just can't see currently how Dier-Sanchez-Toby can be good enough.

Finally, something José is going to have to manage is the mental fallout from this. We can't be taking 3 goal leads and get flashbacks to this game. One of the first things he did was sure up our defence so it continues to confuse me that we've seemingly gone backwards there.

Nothing has changed this season, still a squad thats no where near good enough and a bottle job mentality..we need more than just gareth bale to help this club move forward...we always do shit like this, winners don't...its that simple

Back
Top Bottom