Tottenham Hotspur v Wolves (01/03/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You make your own luck in sport Spanners - and ultimately it’s a cup competition. If we’d won it nobody would be mentioning luck - you know it.
Difficult to make luck with this bunch although I agree in principle. They've always said in Tennis that great players make their own luck.

Off topic, but those little Heineken export stubbies - ice cold - go wonderfully well with Walker’s smokey bacon crisps. Truly a powerful, nostalgic experience.
I suspect you're not nearly old enough to remember when there were no flavoured crisps and they came with little blue bags of salt in them. My primary school was in Vallance Rd E2
and there was a little shop opposite that would sell bags of broken crisps for tuppence. Those were the days! Bet Baz remembers....

He's an ENIC bot and a well trained propagandist.

Again, you find it necessary to talk childish this shit in response to a post of mine which doesn't even project a pro-ENIC stance.

Surely you have something better to do....?

Well hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think even Levy would have flinched at that move. He’d have been absolutely slaughtered.

Initially yes but the Club must come first
Similarly if we haven’t moved on by this time next year he’s got another decision to make
Hopefully it won’t come to that

No, we should have sorted his belated painful rebuild at the end of last season. But don't worry as we've got your guy now, a true winner, so it's sorted.

He’s not my guy and wasn’t my first choice so stop putting words in my mouth but he’s here now and is our manager so I will get behind him and our club and I suggest that you do the same
COYS

He’s not my guy and wasn’t my first choice so stop putting words in my mouth but he’s here now and is our manager so I will get behind him and our club and I suggest that you do the same
COYS
I sincerely thought he was. I truly did. Sorry if I did indeed put words in your mouth. I hate that as well.

But in my defense you say he's not your guy or your first choice but it does/did seem like you were happy with the appointment (him being a 'winner, etc). You have said we are lucky to have him. And considering how you doggedly you defend him I could be forgiven for thinking such. I think it could and would be considered a fair conclusion for a good faith actor to derive. But if I am wrong I hold my hands up my friend.

If you don't mind me asking Baz who was your first choice?

It’s time to face facts. We have a lot of average players and a couple of very good ones, and one guy who is world class. Those average guys are playing as hard as they can but they just aren’t good enough. Hopefully we will start a real rebuild this summer.

One rumour is that there is a clause in Mourinho's contract that he goes at the end of the season if we fail to qualify for the Champions League. Let's hope that is true because this team needs to be rebuilt and Jose is the last person in the world you would choose to do that.

So he's basically the new Interim Tim? :sherwoodwtf:

That should already be perfectly clear from my last comments. You're in denial of a very simple basic fact.

Think (or should I say make up) all you want.

....Your repeatedly spewed "they're taking money out of the club" rhetoric is fantasy.

ENIC are not. Our club accounts are made public... There's no secret.

LOL....... Jump on the wagon of the ill-informed? ....No thanks.

Talking about burning the owners.

You sound pathetic.

you will eventually realise that you are wrong. inevitably, you will join our side. as we have mentioned, over and over, highest paid chairman, most expensive tickets in the world, massive profits. zero reinvestment. comparably, anyway.

there's no point trying to convince you otherwise. enjoy life as is. mediocrity. that is clearly what you are all about. mediocrity. fucking loser.

I didn't mind that line up at all, I wished it had been a 433 though, mirroring Wolves kind of worked for us and against us, we got Aurier into some good positions, two resulted in goals, but Wolves also exploited the vulnerabilities of both Aurier and Davies - and the novelty of our system to us - to score three.

As I said, I'd have preferred that to be a 433 - as GDG said above and I have said previously several times - both Poch and Mourinho kept/keep playing CM2 midfields, when none of the CM's we have are rounded enough to play as double pivots - and this does none of them any favours. But if we are going to play the 343, then I actually don't have too many problems with the side picked and set up. I liked the front three (based on who was available) especially Alli as that flash 9 focal point - which some omni present bumbling aside - worked really well I thought, he's got through a shit load of ball (60 touches, 42 passes) was heavily involved in both goals, and was unlucky with a header.

I also liked the back 3, get the logic, Dier the ballast (pun intended) with the quick and aggressive Sanchez and Tanganga either side to help cover the WB areas.

Although I wish dearly we'd just play a fucking 433/CM3 system and I'd even tolerate Dier as the 6 if we could try it with Lo Celso and Ndombele either side, I think both Winks and Lo Celso did decent enough jobs today, they both got through an absolute fuck ton of ball, (Winks 81/86, GLC 66/76 passes) and both completed the most final third passes in the game ( Winks 21, GLC 22) and Winks was involved in the build up of both our goals with forward passes. But both struggled to wade through the quagmire once Wolves got their ultra well drilled shit together. Winks was particularly wasteful around the box a couple of times.

Every week we are changing shape, changing players, changing how we approach games, but regardless of what we do, we are still allowing teams to get into too many decent attacking situations, something I'd really hoped Mourinho would have got to grips with by now. Giving him the benefit of some doubt, I'm wondering if he's looked at this squad, seen it's not been assembled with "defending" in mind, and is just trying to get results the best way he can, and to be fair, until the last couple of weeks his PPG was kind of validating that.

Once again we've let in some really pathetic goals. Two of which could and should have been prevented way before they got to the box, and then when they got to the box more shambolic defending ensued. The first one Dier inexplicably just misses a simple clearance and air kicks, which throws Tanganga who just takes the sting off their cross for their guy to bury. The second one Tanganga needs to stop Traore with that challenge, fair or foul, and most players his challenge might of, but Traore bounces off him, then feeds Doherty while Dier is left flat footed. The third Moura first, then particularly Aurier have to fucking stop Jota, fair or foul, but both are just too fucking flimsy, mentally and physically. I think this is what Mourinho was, rightly referring to post match. But it's this kind of fucking wet naivety that I thought he'd have squared off by now if nothing else.

I'm so internally conflicted on Mourinho. I know we can't make a full and fair judgement until he's had a pre season and time to mould this team into what he wants it to be. My issue, even if we are prepared to buy him who he wants to succeed, and sell who he doesn't, and he turns us into some pragmatically efficient winning machine is, will I be able to love that team? what will that look like? Will it look like a deluxe Wolves? or his ManU team ? I'm not sure I can love that. Will it look more like his Real Madrid, Inter or even his Chelsea MK1 phase? Maybe I could....maybe...

There's still a bit of me that remembers that all to fleeting heyday of Poch, when we didn't just win, but we won with panache, that watched (Herr Flick's) Bayern Munich's proactive flowing football in midweek, Ajax's youthful exuberance, the vibrant press-tactic energy of the likes of RB Leipzig, BM(eh)Gladbach, Schalke, Getafe and the positive attacking brand of Dortmund and Leverkusen and just thinks no matter how close Mourinho gets to making us in his image, will he get it so right that I won't always be looking over my shoulder wishing and wondering what else we could be...?

Last edited:
I didn't mind that line up at all, I wished it had been a 433 though, mirroring Wolves kind of worked for us and against us, we got Aurier into some good positions, two resulted in goals, but Wolves also exploited the vulnerabilities of both Aurier and Davies - and the novelty of our system to us - to score three.

As I said, I'd have preferred that to be a 433 - as GDG said above and I have said previously several times - both Poch and Mourinho kept/keep playing CM2 midfields, when none of the CM's we have are rounded enough to play as double pivots - and this does none of them any favours. But if we are going to play the 343, then I actually don't have too many problems with the side picked and set up. I liked the front three (based on who was available) especially Alli as that flash 9 focal point - which some omni present bumbling aside - worked really well I thought, he's got through a shit load of ball (60 touches, 42 passes) was heavily involved in both goals, and was unlucky with a header.

I also liked the back 3, get the logic, Dier the ballast (pun intended) with the quick and aggressive Sanchez and Tanganga either side to help cover the WB areas.

Although I wish dearly we'd just play a fucking 433/CM3 system and I'd even tolerate Dier as the 6 if we could try it with Lo Celso and Ndombele either side, I think both Winks and Lo Celso did decent enough jobs today, they both got through an absolute fuck ton of ball, (Winks 81/86, GLC 66/76 passes) and both completed the most final third passes in the game ( Winks 21, GLC 22) and Winks was involved in the build up of both our goals with forward passes. But both struggled to wade through the quagmire once Wolves got their ultra well drilled shit together. Winks was particularly wasteful around the box a couple of times.

Every week we are changing shape, changing players, changing how we approach games, but regardless of what we do, we are still allowing teams to get into too many decent attacking situations, something I'd really hoped Mourinho would have got to grips with by now. Giving him the benefit of some doubt, I'm wondering if he's looked at this squad, seen it's not been assembled with "defending" in mind, and is just trying to get results the best way he can, and to be fair, until the last couple of weeks his PPG was kind of validating that.

Once again we've let in some really pathetic goals. Two of which could and should have been prevented way before they got to the box, and then when they got to the box more shambolic defending ensued. The first one Dier inexplicably just misses a simple clearance and air kicks, which throws Tanganga who just takes the sting off their cross for their guy to bury. The second one Tanganga needs to stop Traore with that challenge, fair or foul, and most players his challenge might of, but Traore bounces off him, then feeds Doherty while Dier is left flat footed. The third Moura first, then particularly Aurier have to fucking stop Jota, fair or foul, but both are just too fucking flimsy. I think this is what Mourinho was, rightly referring to post match. But it's this kind of fucking wet naivety that I thought he'd have squared off by now if nothing else.

I'm so internally conflicted on Mourinho. I know we can't make a full and fair judgement until he's had a pre season and time to mould this team into what he wants it to be. My issue, even if we are prepared to buy him who he wants to succeed, and sell who he doesn't, and he turns us into some pragmatically efficient winning machine, will I be able to love that team? what will that look like? Will it look like a deluxe Wolves? or his ManU team ? I'm not sure I can love that. Will it look more like his Real Madrid, Inter or even his Chelsea MK1 phase? Maybe I could....maybe...

There's still a bit of me that remembers that all to fleeting heyday of Poch, when we didn't just win, but we won with panache, that watched (Herr Flick's) Bayern Munich's proactive flowing football in midweek, Ajax's youthful exuberance, the vibrant press-tactic energy of the likes of RB Leipzig, BM(eh)Gladbach, Schalke, Getafe and the positive attacking brand of Dortmund and Leverkusen and just thinks no matter how close Mourinho gets to making us in his image, will he get it so right that I won't always be looking over my shoulder wishing and wondering what else we could be...?

I rather enjoyed that one Blakey, fair comments made.

One thing I suggested to my old man when having a moan to him about it earlier was how high we were when they scored their 2nd and 3rd. Did Mourinho let the media and negative comments about him get under his skin and throw his pragmatic and understandable defensive approach when 2-1 up to the dogs to prove that he can play with an attacking flow? Surely with no strikers and us scoring goals the half time team talk should have been about not conceding and being tight more than we saw the lads be when carved open. The 2nd half looked like a Mourinho rattled andntrying to prove a point rather than fuck off what's been said and do what was required to see a massive game out. I could be mistaken though.

Ultimately these shit players cost Poch his job, Levy (again!) didn’t sign the right players in Jan and now we’re a complete mess. Don’t feel Jose was the right appointment and furthermore nothing will change with these poisonous cunts owning our club. Sucking the life out the fans.

To think we were challenging for the title a few years ago supported by the fact we didn’t replace the likes of Dembele, Walker or signing a back-up to Kane. Enough is enough, the fans need to make a stand.

jose has built teams year after year that are hard to beat and are niggly. Poch has built this gutless team of shithouses that don't know how to win and bottle every chance we have of success
Is that the manager who go us league success not seen since the early 60s , made us into a team that ripped other teams apart and got us to the CL final?
You must have been supporting the club for about 5 years or have a selective memory problem

Back
Top Bottom