Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City. May 1st, Sunday – 2 PM.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is what I find a little baffling about Bergwijn.

We wanted Traore to convert into a RWB, but whilst Bergwijn isn’t as tall or anywhere as large, he’s pretty stocky, fast, good dribbler and a better finisher so I really want to know what is making Conte not even consider it.

Perhaps he’s not good at defending but we’ve seen Royal get bailed out by Romero so surely he can’t be any worse in that aspect but actually is a threat going forward.

If he goes LWB with Davies covering, perhaps I’d be more concerned.
There's another precedent for this. Iirc, it was Conte who converted Victor Moses from an attacker to a WB at the Chavs. Emerson is hopeless as a WB whereas Bergy at least runs in behind and can finish (especially when Leicester is the oppo!)

Crossing and uncrosssing your legs is the more up to date distraction tactic.
xea0h.jpg

There's another precedent for this. Iirc, it was Conte who converted Victor Moses from an attacker to a WB at the Chavs. Emerson is hopeless as a WB whereas Bergy at least runs in behind and can finish (especially when Leicester is the oppo!)
That’s what I mean, Conte isn’t a stranger to converting players into a different role.

Perhaps stamina is the reason but even if that was the case, could he not have Bergwijn on for 60-70 mins and then sub in Royal/Lucas to close out the game providing we’ve got a lead? Which seems more likely if he plays.

I think the last 2 performances have been deliberately “laboured” or cautious patient football to prevent player burn out because of the distinct lack of depth to the squad and we have been trying to ease the workload - well we have truly reached the must win stage so full steam ahead boys let’s get after them and play some football

Just don't want Emerson to be in a spurs shirt again

Sounds mental but Doc missing has been huge for us. Teams know he's not a threat down the right so just give him space and focus the left

Kulu also constantly being 3v1 with no help has really affected him also

Absolutely CANNOT start a game with Sessegnon and Royal in it.
The wing backs are so important in this team that we cannot be playing with two utter fucking duds.
Reguillon is a must and I would even try an out of position player on the right at this stage. I'd go for Bergwjin.

Just don't want Emerson to be in a spurs shirt again

Sounds mental but Doc missing has been huge for us. Teams know he's not a threat down the right so just give him space and focus the left

Kulu also constantly being 3v1 with no help has really affected him also

Doc wasn't in the team that beat Villa 4-0 (it was 1-0 and we were being played off the pitch when he went off)

That said, Royal is fucking useless as an attacker.

Doc wasn't in the team that beat Villa 4-0 (it was 1-0 and we were being played off the pitch when he went off)

Eye but Villas high press ment we just played long can't do that against teams that sit back in shape

It's a big reason we didn't break Brighton and Brentford down just no threat down the right with him

I think the last 2 performances have been deliberately “laboured” or cautious patient football to prevent player burn out because of the distinct lack of depth to the squad and we have been trying to ease the workload - well we have truly reached the must win stage so full steam ahead boys let’s get after them and play some football

Nah..... If you're worried about burn-out you a) use ALL your subs and b) don't leave them so damn late.....

What you're suggesting is completely counter-logical.... Especially as you're talking about 2 'winnable' games.

Eye but Villas high press ment we just played long can't do that against teams that sit back in shape

It's a big reason we didn't break Brighton and Brentford down just no threat down the right with him
Brighton pressed us high and I'd argue Brentford did for 70+ minutes
Those teams just defended much better when we went long and were prepared for those passes.

Lloris
Romero - Dier - Davies
Lucas - Hojbjerg - Bentancur - Bergwijn
Kulusevski - Kane - Son
I would love to see that team on the pitch
Really??
Lucas AND Bergwijn at WBs would be anhilated!
There's a difference between being a defender who can't defend very well (Royal), to not even being a defender in the first place!!

There has to be an instinct that comes with defending that attackers might not have...

Be like asking Davies to play up top!!

Really??
There's a difference between being a defender who can't defend very well (Royal), to not even being a defender in the first place!!

There has to be an instinct that comes with defending that attackers might not have...

for the simple reason that with all that pace and attack on the pitch, they would have to out score us

and they wont

I doubt they would be annihilated, mistakes and a few missed tackles, but Romero and Davies are in form.

Really??

Actually, normally Royal isn't a bad defender.
The wing back role though is more like 70/30 in favour of being a winger and he's absolutely fucking useless at being a winger. He has no idea how to get forward or what to do when he gets there.
The defence get the ball and in most situations, they have the choice to pass to 2 WB's who won't do anything useful with the ball whatsoever or 2 CM's who are barely better at being creative.
Brighton and Brentford succeeded by blocking the CM's from taking a pass and turning it towards Kane. Most of the out balls went out wide and were screwed up by the WB's or long to Kane who had 3 players around him.
It was pitiful watching us fail to play from the back to the front short or long as a result.

Nah..... If you're worried about burn-out you a) use ALL your subs and b) don't leave them so damn late.....

What you're suggesting is completely counter-logical.... Especially as you're talking about 2 'winnable' games.
That’s the problem the subs are that shite we have to manage the workload of our starting 11 and could only use subs when a game is won or lost - Doherty and skipp have proved massive massive losses we are really at the minimum now - and precisely Brighton and Brentford were winnable games hence we were going at less than full throttle ! Just an opinion mind probably wishful thinking and the truth is the squad is shite and conte is not genius many make out and merely a one trick pony whose team is fucked without half decent wing backs!

That’s the problem the subs are that shite we have to manage the workload of our starting 11 and could only use subs when a game is won or lost - Doherty and skipp have proved massive massive losses we are really at the minimum now - and precisely Brighton and Brentford were winnable games hence we were going at less than full throttle ! Just an opinion mind probably wishful thinking and the truth is the squad is shite and conte is not genius many make out and merely a one trick pony whose team is fucked without half decent wing backs!

I think he's just been a bit too wedded to his system (hense the like-for-like subs) in the last couple of games and is used to having a MUCH deeper squad.

We could have forced matters in both games by going 4231 or 433 and he didn't.

Leicester play in ECL versus Roma on Thursday - so a number of their players with a 3 day break before they play us will not be fully rested.

And they play Roma again middle of next week

So on Sunday we should play at a high tempo from the start - they won't be able to live with us.
Except that we'll probably play at the same tempi of the last 2 games....

Doherty is only "good" when considering the alternative. In real terms, he's a mid table player at best. Certainly not top 4 material.....

Back
Top Bottom