Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United | Sunday 2 May | 19.15 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seeing some prior responses saying we didn't twat relegation fodder under Mourinho.

Palace 4-0
Burnley 4-0
WBA 4-0
Southampton 5-2

I think a big big big part of the Mourinho problem was his propensity to pick tripe. Mason has come, no fucking idea what he's doing but he has picked the same back 4, 3 games in a row. He's picked the best 4 we have, 3 times in a row. And suddenly we only concede 2 goals in 3 games including only 1 in the last 10 minutes during a mega onslaught Vs City.

So Mourinho clearly had an issue with picking the best players. Dier is a junior defender at best. He cannot ever be paired with Sanchez or Rodon.
Gareth Bale is (not was) one of the best players any of us have ever seen and should be involved in every game but at least every game against teams we can shoot freely at.

IMO Mason got the selection right against Southampton and Sheff U but not against City.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but had we won against City, we'd have had to play in the pathetic Conderence league. Not sure but even if we finished 5th?
Maybe someone decided that wasn't what was best. Because it really really isn't.
No one told Son though.

Winning the League Cup would only have put us in the ECL if we’d finished outside the top 6. As it stands, finishing 7th would put us in it anyway, so pretty much the same applies.

I know this is strange but I'm becoming convinced Serge Aurier, somehow, has a psychic like ability that translates to our team in the recent era.

If he plays well, Tottenham plays well. If he has a shit game, we have a shit game.

Hell, if the gaffer has a go at him, then it fucks everything up, and when the managers happy with him, the entire team seem happier in general.

Not always, could play a cup game one week and a league game the next..... But that's not the point. Sheffield is slightly different to City, United, Liverpool....or have you not noticed?
Well of course, but we didn't play Liverpool or Man Utd, we played Sheffield Utd, so I commented about our game against Sheffield Utd.

We play Leeds next, is there anything that should or shouldn't be said about this opponent, what's the context here then?

Interesting this scenario involved the same player on both sides.

Yesterday GLC gets stamped on. From the face on angle it looked as deliberate is it gets. No red. Checked in a few seconds. Not much debate after.

Last season, GLC stamps on a Chelsea player. VAR looked. No red. Lots of fuss for a long time after.

IMO, they both should have been red. Potentially both getting more than a 3 match ban.

I would also change the rules. Sky Sport "expert ref" says you don't know what he was thinking so don't know if it's intentional".
Change the rule to "hurt a player by stamping on them and it's a red no matter what".
Watch players try much harder not to stamp on the opposition.
Clearly they were both red. Lo Celso deserved it last season and I don't think many on here would disagree.

What's even clearer is that the EPL refs are inept cunts.

Interesting this scenario involved the same player on both sides.

Yesterday GLC gets stamped on. From the face on angle it looked as deliberate is it gets. No red. Checked in a few seconds. Not much debate after.

Last season, GLC stamps on a Chelsea player. VAR looked. No red. Lots of fuss for a long time after.

IMO, they both should have been red. Potentially both getting more than a 3 match ban.

I would also change the rules. Sky Sport "expert ref" says you don't know what he was thinking so don't know if it's intentional".
Change the rule to "hurt a player by stamping on them and it's a red no matter what".
Watch players try much harder not to stamp on the opposition.
I think they are two different situations.

Against Sheffield, GLC was stamped on by Fleck, while against Chelsea it was Azi's leg that hit against GLC's studs.

In my unbiased view, GLC was the victim on both occasions!

Seriously? Who are you kidding , we played like a bunch of cowards! It’s a fucking final, have a go! I would rather get spanked 4-2 trying to win then play the whole game camped in our own half scared shitless of the opposition!

What does 'have a go' even mean?

We were unable to string together more than 3 passes before City closed us down and either fouled us or won back the ball. Win were pinned back against the ropes for much of the game and actually did very well to keep it at 1 goal.

So would 'having a go' mean we camp 3 or 4 players in their box and keep lumping up long balls hoping one of their defenders makes a mistake?

What does 'have a go' even mean?

We were unable to string together more than 3 passes before City closed us down and either fouled us or won back the ball. Win were pinned back against the ropes for much of the game and actually did very well to keep it at 1 goal.

So would 'having a go' mean we camp 3 or 4 players in their box and keep lumping up long balls hoping one of their defenders makes a mistake?
Ndombele over winks might have been a good start, play through the midfield and then we wouldn’t need to rely on lumping it up to son or Kane ? This is the same Man City we have beat before , we gave them to much respect and it seems like we didn’t have the belief we could win!

I know this is strange but I'm becoming convinced Serge Aurier, somehow, has a psychic like ability that translates to our team in the recent era.

If he plays well, Tottenham plays well. If he has a shit game, we have a shit game.

Hell, if the gaffer has a go at him, then it fucks everything up, and when the managers happy with him, the entire team seem happier in general.
Funny that. Human beings respond better to encouragement than criticism. Who'd have thought it?

Ndombele over winks might have been a good start, play through the midfield and then we wouldn’t need to rely on lumping it up to son or Kane ? This is the same Man City we have beat before , we gave them to much respect and it seems like we didn’t have the belief we could win!
The reason Mason, Tuchel, Poch and Bielsa set up similarly is telling: keep it narrow and force City out wide. If they can get through the middle of the park there is little point in playing the game. In a 2 in cm Ndombele is just too much of a liability against City.
Whether Winks should have started or not, I totally understand Ndombele not playing.

The reason Mason, Tuchel, Poch and Bielsa set up similarly is telling: keep it narrow and force City out wide. If they can get through the middle of the park there is little point in playing the game. In a 2 in cm Ndombele is just too much of a liability against City.
Whether Winks should have started or not, I totally understand Ndombele not playing.
The problem wasn't so much that we didn't play TND there, it's that all we had was Winks to play with PEH.
Neither are even close to being able to turn defence to attack quickly, especially under pressure.

This was a good win and credit to Sheff Utd they did not park the bus. Should keep same starting 11 for next match to see if the defence can stay firm under more pressure and Midfield can provide sufficient opportunities to strikers against a better team.
In retrospect I am glad Sheff U did not go down to 10 men as that would have detracted from victory.
Bale needs to show he can provide against better opposition but that means the midfield need to get the ball to him.
Bringing on Winks was not the signal we should be making that we are going to hold onto our lead rather than go for more goals against the bottom team and a more progressive player, Ndombele or Lamela should have come on.
Thought Dele did ok and should start again.
Is Kane really 100% fit or was it just an off day?
Good to see Son back to shooting again.

This was a good win and credit to Sheff Utd they did not park the bus. Should keep same starting 11 for next match to see if the defence can stay firm under more pressure and Midfield can provide sufficient opportunities to strikers against a better team.
In retrospect I am glad Sheff U did not go down to 10 men as that would have detracted from victory.
Bale needs to show he can provide against better opposition but that means the midfield need to get the ball to him.
Bringing on Winks was not the signal we should be making that we are going to hold onto our lead rather than go for more goals against the bottom team and a more progressive player, Ndombele or Lamela should have come on.
Thought Dele did ok and should start again.
Is Kane really 100% fit or was it just an off day?
Good to see Son back to shooting again.
Kane didn't look happy. Played well first half but spent the whole of the 2nd half looking fed up.
Reckon Bale deprived him of half his usual salary by scoring all the goals.

Dele had a good game. Should have scored when Kane failed to square the ball to him and took on the shot himself at a difficult angle.

Some clever touches in the build up to a couple of goals and his movement off the ball was excellent; pulling defenders our of position.

We shouldn't be selling him; we should be coaching him back to his best.
I was a bit dissappointed to get such a negative reaction, so felt I had to make a similar point, that something clearly is not right with him, and the club should be looking to fix it whether it be physical or mental issues. My opinion on Dele has been formed by sitting through game after game where he dithers in possession, slows down attacks, can't seem to go past people, does speculative flicks and looks for a free kick if in a dead end. The petulant throwing up of his arms if a pass didn't go to him, and berating his team mates wasn't great to see either. He was pretty much starting every game a few seasons ago, and not really making an impact. Dele looks better against weaker teams, but seems out of his depth against stiffer opposition. His movement is good off the ball, and did well when the likes of Christian Ericsson was supplying from the midfield. I still say that if the coaching staff, and Dele can't make it work after effort from both parties, then he should be moved on to refresh his career, and Spurs could get a few quid too.

Apart from his goals against Real Madrid, Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea, Woolwich....yeah terrible.
Come on man, I'm talking about the current Dele, who is a shadow compared to a few years back, and like I said, he needs nurturing, and to have the right pieces of the puzzle to fit around him to release his strengths as a player.

Back
Top Bottom