Tottenham v Barcelona (Next Gen) #1882TFC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

sammyspurs said:
Park Lane James said:
A fan normally sits in front of his/her TV and doesn't feel attached to the club.

A supporter goes out of their way to show/voice their love for the club, by attending matches. Of course in this day and age, less people are able to do so because of the price of match tickets and transport.

Hmm. Last week there was an extensive debate on why the atmosphere has gone shit, with most people going for the "real fans have been priced out" argument....which you also touch on.

Does this make them not supporters anymore?

I dont like these "most loyal" contests....spoils the essence of what 1882 is striving to achieve imo. We are a community, and people do what they can to support the club.

Not everyone can attend matches all the time, and its not just because of money. Doesnt mean they sit at home in front the tv feeling unattached to the club.
I wasn't implying that if you don't go to games you're not a supporter - some who used to be regular attendees simply can't afford to go. I would go so far as to say that someone from Australia who stays up till silly o clock on a work night to watch a Europa League game is as much of a supporter as a regular match goer.

I may have mis-communicated the first part - but I know plenty of people that sit in front of their TV watching Spurs that don't really have much passion. Not that everyone is like that, but there are a lot of fans that aren't very 'active'.

Park Lane James said:
I wasn't implying that if you don't go to games you're not a supporter - some who used to be regular attendees simply can't afford to go. I would go so far as to say that someone from Australia who stays up till silly o clock on a work night to watch a Europa League game is as much of a supporter as a regular match goer.

I may have mis-communicated the first part - but I know plenty of people that sit in front of their TV watching Spurs that don't really have much passion. Not that everyone is like that, but there are a lot of fans that aren't very 'active'.

Fair enough mate, cheers for explaining yourself....the point you make about the Aussies is what I meant by we are a whole community doing what we can.

I too know crappy fans, and unfortunately alot of them go week in week out!

I think the 1882 is gonna go a long way to re-addressing the balance. It feels like the tip of the ice berg.

Decent match report

Barcelona beat Tottenham in NextGen

Barcelona got their NextGen Group One campaign back on track by confidently dispatching Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 at White Hart Lane.

Eurosport – 11 hours ago

The fixture, Spurs' second of their NextGen 2012/13 campaign, was the first to be broadcast under a groundbreaking deal between NextGen and Eurosport which will see the channel show the under-19 tournament across Europe.

Spurs went into the game looking to build on a strong start to this season's tournament, coming from behind to record an impressive 3-2 away victory over Wolfsburg, whilst their storied opponents could only stutter to a score draw in their opening fixture at home to NextGen debutantes Anderlecht.

The hosts had the better of the early exchanges, their high tempo pressing disrupting Barcelona's attempts to establish any rhythm or fluency in their passing and could have taken the lead in the first minute, Souleymane Coulibaly chasing down a clearance from Ondoa which deflected narrowly over on to the roof of the net.

Tottenham continued to harry their illustrious opponents and forced numerous openings from which they failed to capitalise, livewire Alex Pritchard on the left of a Spurs front three twice failing to find the target when well placed, his two efforts punctuated by a Kenneth McEvoy effort that trickled narrowly wide.

Barcelona grew as the half progressed, establishing a foothold in the midfield as the half progressed with Sergi Samper, a veteran of the Barca NextGen squad, pulling the strings for the visitors.

Having wrestled control of the middle of the park, Barca made Spurs pay for their profligacy in the 18th minute, a magnificent raking crossfield pass finding Adama loitering near the right touchline, the forward's low cross found Sandro who whose first time finish flashed past Lawrence Vigouroux from six yards.

Once in the lead the Blaugrana were uncharacteristically content to let Spurs push on and play on the break and were fortunate to go into the break still in the ascendancy, with Spurs again guilty of missing various chances to level proceedings, Coulibaly, whose strength was causing problems for the Barca's centre-half pairing of Bagnack and Costa, was unable to match his industrious and at times inventive play with the required finesse in front of goal.

Spurs would again come close on the stroke of half-time with Pritchard again causing problems for Ekpolo, the 19-year-old cut inside his marker before curling an effort against the crossbar from 18 yards.

Tottenham, trying to emulate their early first-half dominance started the second period at a frenetic pace, but as the game stretched and energy levels dropped they began to be picked apart by their Spanish opponents.

Alex Inglethorpe, the Spurs NextGen coach, tried to stem the tide by introducing Shaquile Coulthirst for midfielder Giancarlo Gallifouco but the switch only further stretched the game, playing right into the hands of the young Catalans, with Alain Ebwelle in particular exploiting a now exposed full-back Alexander McQueen.

Inglethorpe further shuffled his pack, bringing on Joshua Onomah for a visibly tiring Coulibaly with 25 minutes remaining as the pace and tempo began to take its toll on Spurs' young charges with Barcelona now playing with a rediscovered confidence and swagger.

Having toyed with the hosts for most of the second half, Barcelona added to their tally in the 74th minute, Sandro bagging his second of the night firing emphatically past Vigoroux from just inside the Spurs area.

Substitute Joel Huertas should have added to Barcelona's tally, having been slid through on the inside right channel, but couldn't guide his shot past the imposing frame of Vigouroux.

The result sees Barcelona leapfrog Spurs and Wolfsburg into first place in NextGen Group One with four points from two games with Spurs dropping to third behind Wolfsburg on goal difference, Anderlecht are currently propping the group up with a solitary point.

Elsewhere, Manchester City were up against Fenerbahce at Hyde in Group Two and looking for their first points in the tournament.
It didn't start well for City who fell behind after eight minutes after Hakan Cinemre headed past Ian Lawlor to make it 1-0. City went into half-time a goal down but looked a different side after the break, with Denis Suarez pulling the strings in the City midfield.

It was Suarez who equalised for City from the penalty spot and minutes later Emyr Huws made it 2-1 to the hosts through a deflected strike. Jordy Hiwula made it a more comfortable scoreline from the penalty spot to give Manchester City their first points in the NextGen Series.

CSKA remained unbeaten in the NextGen Series after a 1-0 victory in Molde. Captain Gela Zaseev scored for the Russians on 54 minutes to ensure the Russians top Group Three with nine points from their opening three games.

Just watched the highlights and thought we displayed some very positive performances. Coulibally is going to be one who I suspect might fall between the cracks unless he improves his decision making and Pritchard is someone that many will have been aware of before, he was very good.

Sandro's finish for the second was excellent.

I assume we will be going to the rest of the games?

I think I may still be drunk, I've been walking around the office singing the Nicola Berti song all morning and getting some strange looks in the process.

But just to reinforce what everyone else has said: amazing atmosphere last night, best that I remember in a long time. We really need to get this to carry on into the senior games.

Dannyboy said:
I assume we will be going to the rest of the games?

Depends, last season they were all 5pm kickoffs and just played at the training ground...

Apparently last night was a record attendance for a NextGen game so you would think the club would see a benefit in playing at WHL

[centre]
36wwH.jpg
[/centre]

The lad on the far left in the grey shirt, who is he?

He was the one who called all the players who had gone down the tunnel to come back out and show some appreciation. I like him the bestest.

Awesome, my 3 mates appeared to be having just as fun a time as I was.

Would have been nice to have seen a goal, but both of the bicycle kicks by coubialy (who I thought was awesome when he encouraged the crowd a bit early on) and the shot by pritchard which hit the post during the first half were great to watch.

Favourite chants: 'your just a shit crystal palace' '1-0/2-0 and you still don't sing'

Loved it

Dannyboy said:
The lad on the far left in the grey shirt, who is he?

He was the one who called all the players who had gone down the tunnel to come back out and show some appreciation. I like him the bestest.

coulibaly, same, noticed him encouraging the crowd earlier on during the game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdCA1roPAQU[/youtube]

Sorry about the quality (it's from my iPhone) just a short clip of us singing!

Back
Top Bottom