Tottenham v. Burnley - February 28 14:00 GMT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And it's not like Sergio's assist numbers are leaving the other fullbacks in the dust.

Sergio has 5 in all competitions. Davies has 4 and Doherty has 3. It's only really Aurier that is stuck at 1 assist for the season.

If we played more with crosses from the fullbacks I do expect that Sergio would pull ahead. But as you said we don't really do that.

What he does give us however is attacking with on the left flank far further up than Davies tends to travel. And a quicker way to transport the ball up field on the left. But when it comes to assists it really isn't that big a difference between either of our fullbacks except for Serge, who instead has shipped in with 2 goals.
Yeah, I don't think assists is the appropriate measure either.

The player that some people need to watch more closely in what they contribute in the final third is Davies. He's completly different to all of them, but his build-up play (once he gets past the first press, where his very poor) is actually very good. He remains in the build-up phase too if the move breaks down and recycles well, aesthetically he doesn't look good and it always looks like he's scuffed the ball when playing his signature pass inside but he's got a very good eye for finding a ball from wide to the edge of the box hit with pace (not a cross), the fact that he repeats this makes me think it's not scuffed/pulled it but what he dose (He follows these in sometimes as well).

I think the fact that he's assisted with a couple of lovely crosses people have a skewed bias towards him excelling at this. He's assisted 2 (?) goals from crosses in the PL this season, not necessarily his fault but he (Spurs) barely cross the ball. No team in the PL has fewer attempts than Spurs.

It's not really what we do.

Or, as I was highlighting, how shit the rest of our fullbacks are at it.

The only other defender I actually trust to produce a good attacking chance is Davies (he was better than Rose at it too).

Why are we comparing two different players on different sides of the pitch? Instead of being happy that they're both back and fit and we aren't having to play Doherty and Davies?

If anything, I'd say Aurier is better than Reguilon defensively but Reguilon is better in attack. I think they compliment eachother well and we look a lot better when both are in the team.

Aurier has a reputation though but this season with one or two exceptions he has become a lot better. He is now a good full back.

Or, as I was highlighting, how shit the rest of our fullbacks are at it.

The only other defender I actually trust to produce a good attacking chance is Davies (he was better than Rose at it too).
I would have probably gone along with you on the thought that Davies was good defensively a couple of years ago, but I think he's been really poor this season and last. I don't know what it is that's caused this, perhaps it's Jose's system? But this year and last he's been terrible at the back.

Your presentation on the matter is one of those most compelling pieces of analysis I've ever seen, thank you so much. You should write to Sky and replace Redknapp and Keane.

Unfortunately at Spurs, the only way certain players (who some have an agenda against) can be seen as good, if they had previous poor spells, is for the club itself to be succeeding.

Aurier can perform 9/10 every single week but if we're failing to win, getting knocked out of cups and sitting mid table, he'll never get the praise he deserves as Stan from North London will remember the foul throw he made 4 years ago.

But if we're winning every week. Competing at the top of the table. Play great football consistently for a few years, the comments of "He's really turned it around" and "He's one of the most consistent full backs in the league" would come out.

We saw it with Kyle Walker and we saw it with Danny Rose. Not only until we started competing did they both get considered, by our own fans, as really good wing backs. Even when Walker would still make a mistake every game, it didn't matter to us because we would win anyway. Even with other fans, it wasn't only until the likes of Euro 2016 when Walker and Rose started getting rated because of their performances with England too.

But that's football.

I mean ffs, over the last month I've seen our own fans say our squad is shit and we are where we belong. Despite the SAME squad being praised when the transfer window shut and the SAME squad that was top of the league back in December. Gareth Bale has gone from being passed it and a waste of wages to our best player and should be starting every week.

Hyperbolic, you're only as good as your last game, nonsense.

Last edited:
Unfortunately at Spurs, the only way certain players (who some have an agenda against) can be seen as good, if they had previous poor spells, is for the club itself to be succeeding.

Aurier can perform 9/10 every single week but if we're failing to win, getting knocked out of cups and sitting mid table, he'll never get the praise he deserves as Stan from North London will remember the foul throw he made 4 years ago.

But if we're winning every week. Competing at the top of the table. Play great football consistently for a few years, the comments of "He's really turned it around" and "He's one of the most consistent full backs in the league" would come out.

We saw it with Kyle Walker and we saw it with Danny Rose. Not only until we started competing did they both get considered, by our own fans, as really good wing backs. Even when Walker would still make a mistake every game, it didn't matter to us because we would win anyway. Even with other fans, it wasn't only until the likes of Euro 2016 when Walker and Rose started getting rated because of their performances with England too.

But that's football.
Our friend Roy Keane on Kyle Walker after giving away a pen against Liverpool THIS SEASON: "He's an idiot. He’s a car crash, he keeps making these types of mistakes and rightly punished for it."

That was the FIRST and ONLY penalty he has conceded in his entire career as a professional footballer!!!! 17yrs, 479 games!

Our friend Roy Keane on Kyle Walker after giving away a pen against Liverpool THIS SEASON: "He's an idiot. He’s a car crash, he keeps making these types of mistakes and rightly punished for it."

That was the FIRST and ONLY penalty he has conceded in his entire career as a professional footballer!!!! 17yrs, 479 games!

I am confident Roy Keane right now is just playing a parody of online football fans.

His comments about Spurs yesterday were awfully familiar to some of those hyperbolic Spurs fans who criticise everyone but Kane and Son when we are in a bad patch. Everyone is shit or not good enough to get in the top clubs etc. etc.

Unless of course we're top of the league and then Roy Keane and said fans are praising us and the manager for getting us there.

Is there any wonder why false narratives exist in football?!!

What's fucking irritating is they don't get fact-checked.

Some football fans actually take these guys comments as gospel too. Which is the scary thing.

Even scarier is that you can get better analysis on a free YouTube channel than you can via a paid subscription to Sky Sports. I haven't paid a single penny to Sky Sports in years, what's the point? I'm a Spurs fan and they do their utmost to downgrade or belittle the club on top of providing shit analysis and punditry.

Some pundits are good. I actually like Carragher and Richards when they are on - but I can get see that on Twitter or via streaming sites if I need to listen.

The fact Souness, Keane and Redknapp are still around is ridiculous - I assume it's for controversy and the hyperbolic nature of the things they say as to why they're kept around. "Some of the lads" I guess.

There's plenty of hidden diamonds out there. Why do we have to buy a ready made player? Son is extremely inconsistent. Son without Kane is the invisible man.

It is slightly tongue in cheek however as a tactical sale, with his contract coming up, I do think selling him for mega bucks in the current climate is the right move, and I don't think it would damage our play. He isn't the one pulling the strings in the Tottenham side. I'd say eriksen was a far bigger loss than it wud be to sell son.

Laugh at me now but come back to me in 12 months time.

Son reminds me of mahrez.and Leicester have improved since selling him. Son is absolute peak. 28 and not getting younger.
What a pile of wank.

Son has played often with out kane and has never let us down. He is a magnificent player who played in two key assists for bale on Sunday.

Now go away.

Last edited:
It's just I never can trust him, watching him play

True but always had the same feelings for Walker. Issue is for a modern right back you need speed, power, control, good defensive awareness and good attacking skill. He has most other than brain farts.

I am not sure who would be available for us to buy at a good price, we could easily risk a downgrade.

Been looking for a replay of that mesmerising piece of skill toward the end of the first half when Serge burst through. Anyone found a clip? More smilies needed.

:auriergrin:

True but always had the same feelings for Walker. Issue is for a modern right back you need speed, power, control, good defensive awareness and good attacking skill. He has most other than brain farts.

I am not sure who would be available for us to buy at a good price, we could easily risk a downgrade.

Walkers far post defending was diabolical.

So was Rose,thinking of it.

However they had the important differences of being vastly superior overall players AND making a lot less individual mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom