Tottenham v Burnley(Wembley). 15th 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder on MOTD tonight they'll praise Burnley's "resistance" even though they showed up today with no intention of trying to win the match.

29% Possession
0 Shots on Target

That's not something to be praised, especially if you eventually lose the match anyway.

And looking at their forums they're all proud of it.
I don't know if I can stay awake to watch that again, the only good thing is that it won't take long to show the highlights !

but we need to build on this.

Can I suggest bricks Joe? You'll need about 1500 to fully brick up the goal at Turf Moor. It's the only way you're staying up.

The PL won't miss you! Hopefully a couple of seasons playing Crawley and Forest Green are coming your way. Dyche off to manage FC Aluminium Arak in Iran where he's fired after six weeks.

Last edited:
At the game today, so my quick rundown:

Wembley. Oh my word. What a shitshow. Does anybody want to be here? I and the people I was with were the only people chanting in my section and it seems half the crowd are tourists taking advantage of the lack of demand for tickets. It is completely sterile.

As for Burnley, the negativity was obvious and irritating. Two bookings for time wasting and Hart should have been given one too.

But Tottenham didn't play that badly. We had a shedload of chances to score, even with Burnley attempting to destroy football. Son, Lamela, Moura and Alli all had chances as good as Eriksen's to score. Kane worked his butt off in midfield in an attempt to crack the defence and should be commended, even if he didn't score.

This team doesn't seem to fall apart when a game ticks on and they aren't winning. They seem to have developed a belief that even as time is running out, they will find a way somehow. It was apparent against PSV, Inter and Barcelona and now in the premier league too.

On the whole, not a bad performance. Painful to watch, but not because of us. Some good football and a lot of character. I don't ask for much more.

I wonder on MOTD tonight how they'll praise Burnley's "resistance" even though they showed up today with no intention of trying to win the match.

29% Possession
0 Shots on Target

That's not something to be praised, especially if you eventually lose the match anyway.

Not something I will find out as I have no intention of watching that again or listening to praise for Burnley for ruining a match.

it is true, fuck Burnley. I formerly had little animosity for you, but I now hope you get relegated and go into liquidation.

I wasn't that frustrated in the match though. I sort of always believed we would score.

I've had time to reflect and have changed my opinion somewhat. I had a full time rant prepared in my mind about Burnley and negative time wasting tactics, 10 men behind the ball etc if they had have held on for a point. In reality what were they supposed to do? I really love our attacking play but a strong park the bus tactic is one we would do well to learn and learn well especially for big European away games coming up. Burnley nearly got a point from the game they were massive underdogs for today. With a far inferior team they did what they thought gave them the best chance of a result. Had they decided to go for it we would have ripped them to shreds.

It was annoying and painful to watch though I just hope they can do it again against all our rivals (with a better result for them of course).

Just a huge sense of relief for me, having finally broken down their defence.
Nobody was outstanding for us
Davies was good, as was Sissoko.
Both full backs got into good positions only to waste possession through crosses getting blocked.
To try and break down a defence that has 8 or 9 players in the 18yd box at all times is very hard to do, but when the FBs got the ball they should have been playing it in first time, not having 2 or 3 touches, allowing themselves to be closed down and allowing the rest of the defence to get set.
I'm really struggling to think of a MOTM, maybe I'll give it Skipp as he did well in his first full debut.

To try and break down a defence that has 8 or 9 players in the 18yd box at all times is very hard to do, but when the FBs got the ball they should have been playing it in first time, not having 2 or 3 touches, allowing themselves to be closed down and allowing the rest of the defence to get set.

This. Shit crosses because we allowed their defensive player to set themselves to block it. Hope we sort that out. It was also true of our shots, not quick enough so allowed the defense to block it, that was their game plan so you gotta take it quicker.

I wonder on MOTD tonight how they'll praise Burnley's "resistance" even though they showed up today with no intention of trying to win the match.

29% Possession
0 Shots on Target

I can understand a smaller club defending mostly, and trying to attack on the counter, play for set plays, try and nick one goal. Up against a much bigger club you may have to play the margins a bit, and maybe as a fan I could be proud of that, but as you point out they didn't have a shot on target even. Absolutely no attempt to make the game a match on any level at all. 0% effort to get three points. 100% effort to get just one point in a negative way. Just the idea to put 11 men in their own box and hope to leave with one point...it's just so fucking soul destroying. Imagine how sad it would be supporting a team that chooses to play like that. There is absolutely nothing to be proud of in that. Hope they get relegated.

I know people don’t like negative play but from a coaching point of view if you know you can’t compete then sometimes that point is all you can play and set up for.

Every chance GD will play a part in their final part of the season.
So I understand why they chose this option. See it as a real honour teams feel that way about us now.

So glad we nicked a goal though.

Probably not be as generous with praise if we only got a point!!

I know people don’t like negative play but from a coaching point of view if you know you can’t compete then sometimes that point is all you can play and set up for.

Every chance GD will play a part in their final part of the season.
So I understand why they chose this option. See it as a real honour teams feel that way about us now.

So glad we nicked a goal though.

Probably not be as generous with praise if we only got a point!!

But what about the fans that spent a couple of hundred quid and travelled for miles to watch them, Don’t they deserve better?.

Back
Top Bottom