Tottenham v Burnley(Wembley). 15th 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because playing through them was any easier?

He could have done better with some of his crossing, some was just good blocking, but what is Trippier supposed to do in those positions?

It was much harder to play those inside balls as the game wore on and they sat deeper and deeper with 5 across the back.

Every time he played the ball back inside Alli, Lamela, Sissoko or Moura just bumbled about with it. Bit harsh to single out Trippier when others were equally inept at doing what they should. Sissoko (who you credit) wasted a great chance to shoot or play someone in, instead whacking it at Lamela, and wasted two other great situations (one after Trippier had played him in behind). Alli and Moura fucked about all day. Son should have hit the target with another great chance. Trippier was no guiltier of struggling to break them down as any other of our players, he was just doing what he was supposed to do though, offer width and another angle of attack.

And didn't our goal eventually come via him putting one in?
Read the post again and I mention Sissoko should have taken a shot.
:pochfacepalm:
They were deep from the first whilst. Trippier was doing just fine for the first 20mins(??) or so. He didn't lump it in once, played in some nice balls, just by doing this we drew out their defence out, one player towards him and then another towards whoever Tripps played it to. It's not harsh at all, he was shite, playing shite low % football. He offered NO width (when people use this phrase it shouldn't mean he's just wide), it should mean that he's affecting the play, that he is getting past or behind his man, or turning his man, committing his man, this is what wide players should do, they stretch the opp. The only time this type of football makes sense is when you have a target man in the box (Andy Carroll type), dare I say, Llorente, play him and pump it into the 6yrd box between the width of the posts.

(Rose wasn't great today but he does commit the oppo, there is variety to his play as he will cross, take on his man, cut inside, go out wide), with Tripps you know exactly what's going to happen before you kick off, so fucking easy to defend against.

Worst player on the pitch.

Highlight for me was Hart's Keystone Kops run up, to take a goal kick after we scored.
Fucking Karma you rejected cunt. I really hope your charabanqe journey home is not fucked up by rain, wind and pop up road works.
Used to like Dyche but looking forward to him getting fired now.
I love it when we do this.

Never seen that cunt run so fast to take a kick. And was good to stick it to dyche too the complaining cunt.

Crikey. On a personal level the last two games have redefined the phrase ‘Dr Tottenham’ for me. Worst week of my life, and Spurs deliver a dramatic result away to Barca, then a dramatic injury time winner (always love those, as we all know how highly annoying they are when it happens for one of our rivals).

Still deeply sad, but Spurs have certainly given me reasons to smile in the middle of all of this. COYS.

Well 3 points is the most important thing I guess but what an absolute bag of shit game. That is one of the most negative performances I have ever seen against us, shocking disgusting football. Never really had anything against Burnley but I really hope they go down after that shit show. They were time wasting pretty much from kick off.
Joe Hart was as bad as that showing from Ben Foster a couple of years ago but after we scored he was rushing around like a demented Ostrich, it was hilarious how he was trying to make himself look dedicated to the cause.

I was really looking forward to a sat 3pm kick off but it really was a dull dud of a day. The weather was shit, the game was shit and Wembley is shit. I really have had enough of that place and can't wait till we go home

giphy.gif

I’m enjoying sissoko a lot this season but he needs to try his luck more with his shots. He gets in the chance but is afraid.
100 percent..... He needs to unleash once in a while..... He had 1 or 2 great opportunities today to have a crack yet he always unselfishly looks for the pass to a team mate.

Probably doesn't fancy hearing the groans if it's off target..... But I think the days of fans groaning and sighing if he makes a mistake are well and truly gone after this season ...... He is now Lord Sissoko!!!
:pochhail:​

Because playing through them was any easier?

He could have done better with some of his crossing, some was just good blocking, but what is Trippier supposed to do in those positions?

It was much harder to play those inside balls as the game wore on and they sat deeper and deeper with 5 across the back.

Every time he played the ball back inside Alli, Lamela, Sissoko or Moura just bumbled about with it. Bit harsh to single out Trippier when others were equally inept at doing what they should. Sissoko (who you credit) wasted a great chance to shoot or play someone in, instead whacking it at Lamela, and wasted two other great situations (one after Trippier had played him in behind). Alli and Moura fucked about all day. Son should have hit the target with another great chance. Trippier was no guiltier of struggling to break them down as any other of our players, he was just doing what he was supposed to do though, offer width and another angle of attack.

And didn't our goal eventually come via him putting one in?

Whacking it at Lamela?

You are full of shit.

Only Hull ( in their 0-1 win ) were more negative than today’s Burnley team.

A disgrace to football.

Well done Spurs.

What i can never understand is how a side like Burnley can play like this one week, and then expect to change tactics a few days later against a lower placed team hoping to play with any consistency.

I think they have conceded something like twenty eight more goals this season than at the same period last season. Long may that fucking continue, i truly hope that they are relegated and as mathematically as soon as possible.

They are fucking awful to watch, and i hope that once relegated they stay the fuck away from the Premier League.

Well 3 points is the most important thing I guess but what an absolute bag of shit game. That is one of the most negative performances I have ever seen against us, shocking disgusting football. Never really had anything against Burnley but I really hope they go down after that shit show. They were time wasting pretty much from kick off.
Joe Hart was as bad as that showing from Ben Foster a couple of years ago but after we scored he was rushing around like a demented Ostrich, it was hilarious how he was trying to make himself look dedicated to the cause.

I was really looking forward to a sat 3pm kick off but it really was a dull dud of a day. The weather was shit, the game was shit and Wembley is shit. I really have had enough of that place and can't wait till we go home

giphy.gif
I would have probably posted exactly this, so thanks I don't have to :).
The only thing I would add is that as the game was coming to an end, I was fully expecting for them to hit us with a sucker punch, especially after such a great performance on Tuesday. After all, that's what usually happens to us.
To sum up, the three points is the most important thing and I am just relieved that we captured them.

I wonder on MOTD tonight how they'll praise Burnley's "resistance" even though they showed up today with no intention of trying to win the match.

29% Possession
0 Shots on Target

That's not something to be praised, especially if you eventually lose the match anyway.

And looking at their forums they're all proud of it.

I would have probably posted exactly this, so thanks I don't have to :).
The only thing I would add is that as the game was coming to an end, I was fully expecting for them to hit us with a sucker punch, especially after such a great performance on Tuesday. After all, that's what usually happens to us.
To sum up, the three points is the most important thing and I am just relieved that we captured them.

Agree but no Mrs P, that’s what used to usually happen to us - it doesn’t anymore and we, as a fan base, need to change our mentality.

Lovely result. These late victories are great for team morale and belief. Fucking heart destroying for me though. Wembley ain’t bad you know. OK it’s fucking freezing. But seriously, what the fuck to Burnley bring to the PL? Boring, tedious wankers. It was funny back in the day when Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed etc went down... but at least they’re clubs with something interesting about them.

It was left very late, I thought it was going to be one of those days and feeling the worse specially when you are in the cold wind and wet, rain never stopped. It made the journey home much easier.
Again Wembley was on the quiet side unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom