Tottenham Vs Fulham - Scott Parker returns

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wonder if a 3-5-2 would have got Harry and Sony more involved last night. Just seen the stat about their touches on the ball.

That’s shocking.

I am not sure any tactic would have saved Son performance. He is brilliant finisher and I love him to pieces.

But yesterday he was shit in every possible aspect. His finishing, his decision making, his passing, his dribbles. Okay, his contribution of tracking back was okay, I'll give you that.

People talk about sons xg shite and all. Id rather he scored the goals he was meant to . The easy ones, the ones hes expected to score. Love him and his screamers but needs to do the simple things better

Oh, well wouldn’t you know.........

Im waiting now for someone to say they weren’t chances because the heat map said we didn’t cross the halfway line
The 4th attempt wasn't really much of a chance. That was the headed attempt from the edge of the box from a weak cross by Sergio.. even if Son placed that perfectly, it would be unlikely to go in. So not sure what constitutes that as a 'big chance' according to whoscored.

Having said that, he did have 3 big chances..and given the player he is and the form he is in, I would expect him to bury at least one of those. On the flip side he is the type of player that will more than make up for this in the future. I am more concerned about our lack of creativity and others barring Son and Kane not getting on the scoresheet.

Last edited:
I think all that ultimately matters to us is that we win games. The manner and the means are matters of person lpreference but if we win most of us go away quite happy.

It's a matter of who we are blaming for what has been a poor return since the second half against Palace? Up to then we had a swagger and confidence. Then wallop.

I don't know but it screams to me mentality as much as anything else. Suddenly the belief we had built up has evaporated.

If the fans feel it so must the players, despite the physical is k of attendance and because so many of the players have been here so long, the impact is clear.
It's always been a lack of mentality/belief thing with us...
THAT'S what Jose was brought in for.... that, and grinding out winning results!

We all knew that any notion of style went out of the window when he arrived... that wasn't his remit.
It was to bring success through whatever means necessary, give the players a bit of arrogance about them.... maybe having to bite the 'style bullet' for a few seasons, but watch the trophies start to appear!

However, the mentality issues still seem to be present... let's see what the Cup Final holds before we start chartering planes with 'Jose/Levy out' banners to fly overhead just yet....

Jose wins trophies.... :mourthumb:

Jose flirts with the media... :mourhandlaugh:

Jose winds up the opposition....:mourear:

...and occasionally throws a moody strop to keep everyone interested! :mourpoint:
That's it! :mourbringit:

I am not sure any tactic would have saved Son performance. He is brilliant finisher and I love him to pieces.

But yesterday he was shit in every possible aspect. His finishing, his decision making, his passing, his dribbles. Okay, his contribution of tracking back was okay, I'll give you that.

Will probably re-watch / watch the game at some point.
Was making dinner and dealing with work so didn’t pay full attention to it at all tbh.

Well another two points thrown away.

I can't understand why the coach plays Hojbjerg and Winks. They are two players who do roughly the same thing - rather like the Ndombele/Lo Celso situation. Play one or the other and use the freed up space to accommodate a different kind of player. Bergwign, Dele, Lucas, Lamela.

Additionally Sissoko (after a stellar few games earlier in this season) has fallen back into old habits. He was useless last night on the wing.

Son was totally anonymous and fluffed his only clear chance, as did Hojbjerg.

In the end we were fortunate that Fulham didn't pick up all 3 points - once again Lloris saved us.

We're in the middle of a very poor run and this is where the coach and support staff really earn their salary.

On to Sheffield U.

It's always been a lack of mentality/belief thing with us...
THAT'S what Jose was brought in for.... that, and grinding out winning results!

We all knew that any notion of style went out of the window when he arrived... that wasn't his remit.
It was to bring success through whatever means necessary, give the players a bit of arrogance about them.... maybe having to bite the 'style bullet' for a few seasons, but watch the trophies start to appear!

However, the mentality issues still seem to be present... let's see what the Cup Final holds before we start chartering planes with 'Jose/Levy out' banners to fly overhead just yet....

Jose wins trophies.... :mourthumb:

Jose flirts with the media... :mourhandlaugh:

Jose winds up the opposition....:mourear:

...and occasionally throws a moody strop to keep everyone interested! :mourpoint:
That's it! :mourbringit:

Excellent post.

I think all that ultimately matters to us is that we win games. The manner and the means are matters of person lpreference but if we win most of us go away quite happy.

It's a matter of who we are blaming for what has been a poor return since the second half against Palace? Up to then we had a swagger and confidence. Then wallop.

I don't know but it screams to me mentality as much as anything else. Suddenly the belief we had built up has evaporated.

If the fans feel it so must the players, despite the physical is k of attendance and because so many of the players have been here so long, the impact is clear.

The late defeat at Liverpool messed up the players, we aren't playing with the same intensity anymore. We played similar style of reactive football in the run of big matches before Anfield and our intensity to defend was much better, more aggressive and more solid.

Now the players have lost that edge as the title challenge has fizzled out. I think PEH said after the game that we need to be braver but also more compact. He's right, because even though we were "sitting back" against Fulham we were letting them run through us. We never let City or Woolwich play with that kind of freedom, yes we let them have the ball but we closed off all the spaces. We let Fulham into dangerous areas and it was inevitable they would score, whereas in the second halves against City, Liverpool and Woolwich I never felt like we were going to concede a goal from open play.

The second half yesterday was a team that is just half-asleep.

Oh, well wouldn’t you know.........

Im waiting now for someone to say they weren’t chances because the heat map said we didn’t cross the halfway line
But we are the ones with two world class forwards

My logic says they should do better than Fulhams second string up top
Fulham were without Mitrovich and are in the bottom 3. We started with Sissoko , Winks and PEH
against a relegation candidate without their only genuine goal threat.

Not taking easy chances is costing us not the manager or set up. Son missed 2 sitters players on a sunday would score pissed up. Add in his 1 on 1 aswell and kanes header. We missed sitters at Anfield. Our defensive record is outstanding. Without checking prob top 2 in the league? First half there was alot of fast slick incivise play. If you come in 3 nil up like we should of been takes pressure off back 4 instantly. At any level one goal is not enough. If you looked at clear cut chances created and missed this season I bet we would top the table. To win leagues you need to be ruthless in both boxes. Also can anyone tell me why sanchez didnt play at marine instead of toby so toby could play last night. Asking for a friend

The late defeat at Liverpool messed up the players, we aren't playing with the same intensity anymore. We played similar style of reactive football in the run of big matches before Anfield and our intensity to defend was much better, more aggressive and more solid.

Now the players have lost that edge as the title challenge has fizzled out. I think PEH said after the game that we need to be braver but also more compact. He's right, because even though we were "sitting back" against Fulham we were letting them run through us. We never let City or Woolwich play with that kind of freedom, yes we let them have the ball but we closed off all the spaces. We let Fulham into dangerous areas and it was inevitable they would score, whereas in the second halves against City, Liverpool and Woolwich I never felt like we were going to concede a goal from open play.

The second half yesterday was a team that is just half-asleep.

Good points. We need freshness on the one hand and also for Mourinho to accept attack is a form of defence.

Okay we know Bale of now is not the Bale who left us and that Alli is not the Baba of yesteryear but allowing Fulham to come onto us - well it's asking too much of players who are wilting.

I have genuinely given up on expectation (put it on ebay) and agree with your points but defensive intensity against the team who are 18th. F cuking hell.

Back
Top Bottom