Tottingham Hotspur vs Stoke RUFC 29.12.13

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh what merit?

Bentaleb - One solid game and a decent cameo.

Fredericks - One decent cameo.

They look promising no doubt, but to say they deserve to start seems a little silly.

Got to disagree with you here Yorky.
If you compare it to another player. Lamela (The forums wonderboy). Who has been given chance after chance and has only really impressed against FC Sheriff, I would have to agree with Greavesy and say, yes, Bentaleb and Fredericks deserve a chance against Stoke. If we dont reward positive performances, then the motive won't be there.

*I've tried not to make this a dig against Lamela as I believe he will come good*

If you compare it to another player. Lamela (The forums wonderboy). Who has been given chance after chance and has only really impressed against FC Sheriff, I would have to agree with Greavesy and say, yes, Bentaleb and Fredericks deserve a chance against Stoke. If we dont reward positive performances, then the motive won't be there.

*I've tried not to make this a dig against Lamela as I believe he will come good*

Chance after chance? How many starts in all those chances and how many 90 minutes?

Right so Lamela hasn't had a start at home all season in the league (his only starts came against City AWAY and Fulham)

Let the kid play in front of his home fans

Well said BHS. If we're not going to give our younsters the chance Ithey deserve then that's a sad day for the future of this club. Bentaleb has looked more like a Prem player than Lamela. As you say, no need to have a dig at Lamela and I won't either, unlike all the people who think it's a good idea to have at our captain. But Bentaleb will give us more chance of winning v Stoke than Lamela. will, IMHO.

Though TBH, probably both can play along with Paulinho and Eriksen, if we drop one of our strikers or sacrifice a DM.

It's up to Tim to make the hard choices, but we should back the two youngsters. I'd also see a youngster play instead of Vlad as well, if one of them can head the ball decently. Otherwise I guess play Cap at the back, and maybe then go for two strikers.

Re Fredericks, it's him or Naughton. What I've seen of Fredericks suggest he will add more pace and attacking ability down the flanks, which is surely important against Stoke who will play defensively. I can't comment on his heading ability, but it's unlikely to be worse than Naughton's. IF it is significantly worse than Naughton's, then maybe Naughton should play.

Last edited:
Well if you think it's a little silly, that's up to you. No point in debating with me a silly person is there, so I'll save you the problem, and won't debate it with you.

Think you miss interpreted the use of the word silly. Wasn't suggesting you were silly for thinking that, just in my opinion we have players such as Capoue who have played well (when played in their correct position) who are perhaps more proven. No issue in Bentaleb playing, i am not sure he has done enough to earn a start. A few more solid cameos and perhaps.

We need to play a least 1 defensive midfielder to get the balance straight, if need to drop one striker.

I don't see why Vlad should be dropped, Dawson has made as many if not more blunders over the last games (although not all have cost goals) and he rarely attracts that negative attention.

I maintain a midfield of Lamela, Capoue, Holtby and Eriksen, from who we have fit.

The experiment of Eriksen in a 442 central midfield have now been tried and failed. Let us move on please, Tim.

Being the devils advocate a bit here, I don't think Bentaleb has done nearly enough to start, in particular not when we have so many other players in his position.

We are Tottenham, playing for top 4. This is not a time to play FM2013 experiments.

Is it right to even compare Bentaleb with Lamela? They're very different players fulfilling different roles in the line-up. The question I'd ask is if Bentaleb should start ahead of Capoue? He's done well in his appearances to date, for sure, but Capoue had also shown his worth, in the centre of the pitch, before he picked up his injury.

Townsend (yeah I know!) Daws, Vlad, Rose (4)
Capoue (1)
Paulinho, Eriksen, Lamela (free role)
Ade, Soldado

With from the wing-backs. Lamela a free role. Bentaleb on after 65mins (Looks, potentially to be top class)

COYS!!

Is it right to even compare Bentaleb with Lamela? They're very different players fulfilling different roles in the line-up. The question I'd ask is if Bentaleb should start ahead of Capoue? He's done well in his appearances to date, for sure, but Capoue had also shown his worth, in the centre of the pitch, before he picked up his injury.
Hi Docmo. Trouble is since his injury, Cap hasn't been good in the mid to say the least. He's also been poor as a CB due to his inability to head the ball. He may have to play CB today anyway,as Vlad should be rested. If Vlad does play, then I'd probably play both Cap and Bentaleb as Vlad will need a lot of defensive support. That might knock on to leaving out a creative mid if we go for two strikers as well. Good luck to Tim in his choices :thumbup::thumbup:

I didnt like what I saw against West Ham and SCBC, at all. Far to gungho and about as organised as a playground game.

I quite expected this style to be more than sufficient to see wins against WBA and Stoke, with us coming massively unstuck against Man U and Woolwich.

Then we were shite against WBA, and now, frankly, Im not thinking we are looking good for today.

Right so Lamela hasn't had a start at home all season in the league (his only starts came against City AWAY and Fulham)

Let the kid play in front of his home fans

Agreed, he needs to experience what it feels like to be called a useless cunt by the masses first hand lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom