Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope Big Ange takes Parrott on preseason tour and can properly assess him if he has the right attributes to be a senior team squad player.

Parrott was injured last offseason so Ange hasn't seen him up close yet. I think I would rather have Parrott as a 3rd choice striker option over Dane Scarlett.

I hope Big Ange takes Parrott on preseason tour and can properly assess him if he has the right attributes to be a senior team squad player.

Parrott was injured last offseason so Ange hasn't seen him up close yet. I think I would rather have Parrott as a 3rd choice striker option over Dane Scarlett.
Dane and Alejo both could use loans to develop next season. Same for Lankshare.

I hope that Troy impresses in pre-season.

He has a lot of really good technical attributes, but I still feel he doesn’t, and possibly never will have the physical attributes to be a really top Premier League player. His lack of pace and strength is still a big issue.

I hope I’m wrong and that he goes on to have an absolute stormer of a pre season and becomes a part of the first team picture next season, but unfortunately I reckon the club have already made their mind up on him.

I've watched Parrott quite a lot over the years, probably more than any other of the loan players. His work-rate has always been really good and always felt he had that 'capable of something special' factor where he could produce a bit of magic from nothing.

When he was on loan of MK Dons, he started the season well numbers wise but didn't look particularly comfortable playing as a lone striker, got dropped and then worked his way back in to contention playing off the wing where he could use his technical ability and fitness without having to rely as much on things like his hold-up play. Earnt a move to Preston in the Championship but struggled. I watched a few games at the start of the season and he missed big 1-on-1 chances in I think 3 consecutive games that finished 0-0. Parrott had the 3rd worst conversion rate in the league among forwards over a certain number of shots in the first half of the season(Dwight Gayle and Liam Delap only ones worse). Parrott picked up a hamstring injury and Preston brought in another striker on loan in January. Once he recovered, he again managed to work his way back in to the team and formed a decent partnership with Tom Cannon although his own numbers weren't great and his conversion rate didn't improve much.

Felt the concern has always been his finishing, particularly under pressure and it was interesting that he acknowledged that in one of the post-game interviews recently. This season he's been very different in front of goal. I think I saw his conversion rate is pretty similar to Son's and Richy's have been for us this season, albeit in a much worse league. Probably a combination of confidence, working on his weaknesses in training but also the level he's playing at. Some of the teams at the bottom of the Eredivisie and the division below were really bad and he's a good enough player that he can take advantage of that extra half a second the keeper takes to come out or extra bit of space the defender give you.

Always tricky because I love seeing academy players come through but for me I think it's probably the right time to sell him if we get a decent offer, with stuff like sell-on clauses for if he continues to improve at a higher level. That doesn't mean Ange shouldn't get to have a look at him in preseason but I don't think it's worth keeping him as club-trained extra depth for the sake of it, even if that means putting out a smaller List A and ending up having to rely on one of the younger players as emergency cover. He has a year left and then an optional clause for another year like Sess and Japh had, so potentially the last year of his contract.

I've watched Parrott quite a lot over the years, probably more than any other of the loan players. His work-rate has always been really good and always felt he had that 'capable of something special' factor where he could produce a bit of magic from nothing.

When he was on loan of MK Dons, he started the season well numbers wise but didn't look particularly comfortable playing as a lone striker, got dropped and then worked his way back in to contention playing off the wing where he could use his technical ability and fitness without having to rely as much on things like his hold-up play. Earnt a move to Preston in the Championship but struggled. I watched a few games at the start of the season and he missed big 1-on-1 chances in I think 3 consecutive games that finished 0-0. Parrott had the 3rd worst conversion rate in the league among forwards over a certain number of shots in the first half of the season(Dwight Gayle and Liam Delap only ones worse). Parrott picked up a hamstring injury and Preston brought in another striker on loan in January. Once he recovered, he again managed to work his way back in to the team and formed a decent partnership with Tom Cannon although his own numbers weren't great and his conversion rate didn't improve much.

Felt the concern has always been his finishing, particularly under pressure and it was interesting that he acknowledged that in one of the post-game interviews recently. This season he's been very different in front of goal. I think I saw his conversion rate is pretty similar to Son's and Richy's have been for us this season, albeit in a much worse league. Probably a combination of confidence, working on his weaknesses in training but also the level he's playing at. Some of the teams at the bottom of the Eredivisie and the division below were really bad and he's a good enough player that he can take advantage of that extra half a second the keeper takes to come out or extra bit of space the defender give you.

Always tricky because I love seeing academy players come through but for me I think it's probably the right time to sell him if we get a decent offer, with stuff like sell-on clauses for if he continues to improve at a higher level. That doesn't mean Ange shouldn't get to have a look at him in preseason but I don't think it's worth keeping him as club-trained extra depth for the sake of it, even if that means putting out a smaller List A and ending up having to rely on one of the younger players as emergency cover. He has a year left and then an optional clause for another year like Sess and Japh had, so potentially the last year of his contract.
Excellent well thought out cogent post. I agree fully with your conclusions and how you come to them. In fact I'm not sure you belong on this forum.🤨

parrot should have passed instead of shooting vs Hungary in that last minute goal.

I didn’t see any quality that makes him a worthwhile punt to be the striker that we need.

Even the goal he scored yday was laborious. He was slow and selfish. His placement shot was directly at the GK and he was just plain lucky that it rebounded in.

What’s the value to Troy of being a 3rd choice CF at spurs instead of a starter at somewhere like AZ?
Where is he going to improve more as a player?

Will his own negotiating power with other clubs be higher if he sits on the sub bench for a season. Or scores more goals in a different league?

Personally I think we will buy a 2nd striker, keep richarlison and move Troy on.

parrot should have passed instead of shooting vs Hungary in that last minute goal.

I didn’t see any quality that makes him a worthwhile punt to be the striker that we need.

Even the goal he scored yday was laborious. He was slow and selfish. His placement shot was directly at the GK and he was just plain lucky that it rebounded in.
Nobody has said he is the striker that we need.

Having said that, I disagree with your assessment of the goal.

First, Szmodics was, stupidly, in an offside position.

Second, a striker in that position will always back himself.

Third, he was not slow. He is not the fastest player you will see but he ran from well inside his own box, having effectively broken up the Hungarian attack, and outran the entire Hungarian team.

Fourth, his placement wasn't brilliant but it was not directly at the keeper. He went for the keeper's left, hitting his outstretched left leg. If he'd gone much more to the left it may have gone wide. He probably should have chipped it. No matter, it went in.

Parrott did a great job in the Dutch Eredivisie with 10 goals for a team that relegated and 7 goals in 4 play-off matches. With a lot of pressure he showed his skills, but i think he is - unfortunately - not good enough as back-up striker. Maybe another loan ( AZ is linked to buy ) or in the PL.

Starts today up against Portugal

View: https://x.com/IrelandFootball/status/1800581262773739656

GPz5Q1RWQAAbApg

Clear pen on Ronaldo. Should've been 2-nil at HT. Ireland are gash. Our kid no worse than his teammates. That Idah is getting bossed by a 127yo Pepe...

Ireland are terrible. The only way they’ll score is from Portugal playing slack passes to them. I like the look of Portugal. They have a very strong squad.
As for Parrot I’d say he’s been non existent and can’t seem to get into the game. Hard to judge him in a game where all he’ll do is run about and press. Does not look like an off the right forward.

He's not gonna be the answer to our wishes for a home grown prolific striker just waiting in the wings all along.. Is he?

Back
Top Bottom