UEFA Europa League - 2024/2025

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We won't get in the top 8 with the attitude of using the matches to play youngsters. It will still bite us in the arse like taking a lackadaisical attitude in the group stage has before.

There will still be tougher league draws and easier league draws. Some clubs will draw the weakest teams in pot 1 and 2 and cake walk the league with near perfect records. The top 8 clubs will probably have only a scant few dropped points between them.

If we don't take league matches seriously, we're liable to be faced with a serious home/away playoff thrown in the middle of the busy holiday fixture season when you know the PL will throw us Chelsea and Liverpool and it'll all go tits up.

Play kids in the LC. We need to be putting a marker down early in the EL.

Exactly

We won't get in the top 8 with the attitude of using the matches to play youngsters. It will still bite us in the arse like taking a lackadaisical attitude in the group stage has before.

There will still be tougher league draws and easier league draws. Some clubs will draw the weakest teams in pot 1 and 2 and cake walk the league with near perfect records. The top 8 clubs will probably have only a scant few dropped points between them.

If we don't take league matches seriously, we're liable to be faced with a serious home/away playoff thrown in the middle of the busy holiday fixture season when you know the PL will throw us Chelsea and Liverpool and it'll all go tits up.

Play kids in the LC. We need to be putting a marker down early in the EL.
The League Cup is the easiest one to win. If Ange fucks about with that again it will be a big black mark against him. He didn't really know where he had the players vs Fulham so he gets a pass ... once.

The League Cup is the easiest one to win. If Ange fucks about with that again it will be a big black mark against him. He didn't really know where he had the players vs Fulham so he gets a pass ... once.
Already have 2 Europa lge games in jan - plus the Fa cup and prem games so 2 carabo semi finals would stretch the best of squads so i understand if we rotate for the carabo

I bet they don’t struggle past pacos de Ferreira like we did, or whoever they get.
I saw something about Chelsea trying to opt out of the Conference League because UEFA's FFP is stricter than the leagues. Unless they manage to offload Chalobah and Gallagher for straight profit.

Trying to opt out of a European competition should lead to like a 3 year ban from being in Europe all together.

I saw something about Chelsea trying to opt out of the Conference League because UEFA's FFP is stricter than the leagues. Unless they manage to offload Chalobah and Gallagher for straight profit.

Trying to opt out of a European competition should lead to like a 3 year ban from being in Europe all together.

I’d go even further and say a decade. Ridiculous club if true.

The LC is entirely fucking pointless. It pays fuck all. England having 2 domestic cups is literally the stupidest fucking thing in football, I say this 5 times every year. It should never be taken seriously.

Yes it’s easy!!! You might get drawn against…City, Liverpool, Woolwich , Utd, Chelsea, and the rest.
The top 5 German and Italian clubs won’t be in the Europa , poss 6 Italian . Both teams in the Europa final won’t be in it next season. Time we won something

Rather than being terrified of playing hungry and hard working kids, we need to shine a light on the fucking cunts involved in the first team squad that absolutely kill us year after year when involved

Royal
Sess
Davies
PEH
GLC
Gill

Not good enough for the PL, LC or EL

WANK WANK WANK

Much rather see Donley come in for a Europa game than hunchback Royal laughing at himself or GLC playing ten mins before picking up a strained cunt
Well Sess is already gone. I imagine Davies will be allowed to run his contract down because we can't swap put half the squad in the same window. Royal, Hojberg, and Lo Celso are probably sold this summer. Can see Gil sold or on loan.

My point is we won't progress in the EL if we don't take it seriously, and put forth serious effort with serious lineups. Every time we're in it supporters act as if we can show up, thump the badge and walk through like it's a U21 competition or something. Every other club in it takes it serious, desperately wants to win it, and looks at Spurs as an opportunity to score a big victory on the European stage.

Well Sess is already gone. I imagine Davies will be allowed to run his contract down because we can't swap put half the squad in the same window. Royal, Hojberg, and Lo Celso are probably sold this summer. Can see Gil sold or on loan.

My point is we won't progress in the EL if we don't take it seriously, and put forth serious effort with serious lineups. Every time we're in it supporters act as if we can show up, thump the badge and walk through like it's a U21 competition or something. Every other club in it takes it serious, desperately wants to win it, and looks at Spurs as an opportunity to score a big victory on the European stage.
It’s not the U21’s that kill us, it’s the aforementioned first team players. Look at our 11 vs Fulham in the LC - it’s that lot

I would go as far to say a club like us needs to blood youth players to compete - we can’t afford two good first teamers for every position like City so have to build a squad with hungry, pushy yoots. Give them a chance in the PL IMO, one at a time and intro them to EL

Last edited:
Hope we go for this with some intent, had no real preference for who won yesterday but looking at a poor Utd team win the cup they just seem to be a club that can win things even when their league form is poor .I wish we could develop that winning mentality because I have little doubt we would have lost that final yesterday whichever team we faced .
If we want to win it we need to play our best team every round...just like West Ham do then finish 10th in the league!!

I'm sure they said they would opt out if they had won the Caribou cup?

It’s not the U21’s that kill us, it’s the aforementioned first team players. Look at our 11 vs Fulham in the LC - it’s that lot

I would go as far to say a club like us needs to blood youth players to compete - we can’t afford two good first teamers for every position like City so have to build a squad with hungry, pushy yoots. Give them a chance in the PL IMO, one at a time and intro them to EL

100%

Just because we could end up playing the likes of Bergvall, Donley or Hall in the EL doesn't mean it's not taking it seriously

It's using your squad as well as giving valuable experience and minutes to your best young talent.

I'd still expect to see the likes of Bissouma, Dragusin, one of Porro/Udogie, Vicario etc in the line up.

I would go as far to say a club like us needs to blood youth players to compete - we can’t afford two good first teamers for every position like City so have to build a squad with hungry, pushy yoots. Give them a chance in the PL IMO, one ata tile and then intro them to EL
Not disagreeing with that, a lot of those players will be gone. But still, we'll have 2nd choice players in the squad. If we do as we did in that match, and have time and again in the past in the EL/LC, and field a team full of 2nd choice and youths and expect to be able to trot a handful of first choice players on at the 70th minute and come away with a win - we'll be sorely mistaken again.

Our biggest problem in these comps has always been our weak mentality that we can win without taking it all that seriously.

100%

Just because we could end up playing the likes of Bergvall, Donley or Hall in the EL doesn't mean it's not taking it seriously

It's using your squad as well as giving valuable experience and minutes to your best young talent.

I'd still expect to see the likes of Bissouma, Dragusin, one of Porro/Udogie, Vicario etc in the line up.
Hopefully we don’t have any certified shite remaining in the squad - agree on the blend of first teamers. I can see Sess, Royal, Davies, PEH, Solomon, GLC all out the door. Even players like Richy will be moved on if the price is right.

I wouldn’t dump six young uns in either, three or so.

Not disagreeing with that, a lot of those players will be gone. But still, we'll have 2nd choice players in the squad. If we do as we did in that match, and have time and again in the past in the EL/LC, and field a team full of 2nd choice and youths and expect to be able to trot a handful of first choice players on at the 70th minute and come away with a win - we'll be sorely mistaken again.

Our biggest problem in these comps has always been our weak mentality that we can win without taking it all that seriously.
Hopefully there are no second choices remaining other than half decent players like Rad, BJ, Richy, Skipp, Biss etc

Hopefully there are no second choices remaining other than half decent players like Rad, BJ, Richy, Skipp, Biss etc
Well, there are always 2nd choices. City has 2nd choices.

I'm fine with playing some youth here and there, but they need to be properly integrated and supported. Wholesale 2nd choice/youth lineups like that Fulham match and previous EL lineups are what I mean by "not taking it seriously". If we run out 4 youths and 7 2nd choices, we're going to come away embarrassed like usual.

These two yoots!!

We should treat it the same as we would if we were in CL. Rotate but not much every match. If the kids are good enough, blood them in the PL. I would swap positions with MU this season. 8th but an FA Cup win. We need to win a trophy.

Back
Top Bottom