UEFA European U21 Championships 2017

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We haven't been really good in tournament in this age group since the 80's under Dave Sexton and I think this is the most successful youth age group too.
The only time we did well recently was under Taylor and then Pearce wasn't it. That was some time ago now
Fuck knows what happened since then

We haven't been really good in tournament in this age group since the 80's under Dave Sexton and I think this is the most successful youth age group too.
The only time we did well recently was under Taylor and then Pearce wasn't it. That was some time ago now
Fuck knows what happened since then

Yeah, got to the final in 2009.

Look at the line ups.

Germany:

Neuer
Beck - Howedes - Boateng - Boenisch
Hummels
Ozil - Castro - Khedira - Johnson
Sandro Wagner
England:

Loach
Cranie - Richards - Onuoha - Gibbs
Muamba
Cattermole - Noble
Milner - Walcott - Johnson

Amazing really. Boenisch and Johnson ended up playing for different countries (Poland and USA), but every other player in that line up got capped by the senior team and 6 of them won the World Cup with Germany in 2014 and 5 of them started in the World Cup final. Khedira would have done if he didn't get injured in the warm up.

Where as England with the exception of Walcott and Milner have a grand total of 35 England caps between them and since that tournament only Walcott and Milner have ever gone to a World Cup or European Championship.

Champions League winner Asensio gets a hattrick for Spain.

It's such a shame that England don't take their best eligible team to these tournaments like Spain and Germany tend to do. Who were the last two teams to win the World Cup by chance?

Pickford, Dier, Shaw, Stones, Barkley, Alli, Sterling and Rashford all eligible for this tournament and only one of those players is even there. Instead we get a load of players who are barely lower half of the Premier League quality.
I get the point but playing devils advocate for a second would you have rather had Kane, Eriksen, Dier, Dele, Onomah, Winks etc play in U21's FA Cup to win that, or see them trott out for the first team?

I get the point but playing devils advocate for a second would you have rather had Kane, Eriksen, Dier, Dele, Onomah, Winks etc play in U21's FA Cup to win that, or see them trott out for the first team?

I don't think that's even remotely the same to be honest.

heh

DCoDQmaXsAApz5F.jpg

Regarding England's selection for U tournaments i fully agree that it's moronic to leave out the best youngsters.

Germany, Italy and Spain seems to always bring most of their best eligible players, which leads them to do well. This provides a positive international tournament experience for the players, which they can build on when they play tournaments for the national teams at a senior level. In turn, their national teams then goes on to do very well in the WCs and ECs.

England, instead, choses to give tournament experience to players who are mostly not likely to ever feature for the main team, in a team that will struggle to get far, that won't see a positive outcome.

With the kind of youth players England does produce regularly, they should be among the favourites every tournament. The kids should be encouraged to dominate against players their own age in international tournaments, instead of throwing them out to be harassed and ridiculed playing for the main team.

The FA are guilty of feeding into the young players minds that they are the absolute dogs bollocks as soon as they're playing in the Premier League by putting them in the full England squad and letting them play in meaningless friendlies.
As soon as that happens there's no way they're going back to the U21's.

I agree with previous posters, they should all be playing at this tournament together. As stated, there's a reason Germany and Spain have done well. The players are not that much better (exceptions apart) but they've all played together in meaningful tournaments.

Far too much dicking about and "trying to find the combinations" just before a tournament and then wondering why it doesn't work. Rinse and repeat every 2 years.

England u21s losing to fucking Slovakia. Incredible.

They're so boring. So similar to the first team. It's amazing the clear difference between those in the England U19s that won the World Cup and those in the U21s.

Last edited:
Poland score an injury time pen to equalise 2-2 against Sweden. Best result possible for England. Qualification is in our own hands at this point.

Back
Top Bottom