UEFA European U21 Championships 2017

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Germany too.

Werner, Sane and a host of talent currently playing in the Confederations Cup all eligible for U21s.

Says it all when Spains u21 right back has more Prem experience than alot of the English u21 players.
Yeah I was going to say them, but to be honest I seemed to have missed all their games lately and haven't been keeping up. I know they have played an experimental side in the Confed Cup but haven't seen them. Is that a young team old sniffy has been playing then?

Yeah I was going to say them, but to be honest I seemed to have missed all their games lately and haven't been keeping up. I know they have played an experimental side in the Confed Cup but haven't seen them. Is that a young team old sniffy has been playing then?

The average age of their line up at the Confederations Cup is 23.

Werner, Can, Goretzka, Brandt, Kimmich, Sule, Henrichs, Ginter are all eligible for the U21 team at this particular tournament. That's not even including the likes of Weigl and Sane who didn't even travel.

Neuer, Hummels, Howedes, Boateng, Sane, Weigl, Ozil, Kroos, Khedira, Gundogan, Mueller, Schurle and Gomez all left at home.

Think I'm giving up on our international team ever doing well.

As kids we just don't learn to keep the ball and that leads to our 100mph fast paced game the English press and fans love.

As a nation we actively encourage the move it forward quickly and that goes for every level I watch. Get rid of it...... it's a cliche but so true.

It's going to take a lot to get our younger players anywhere near the standard of Spain and Germany etc

Think I'm giving up on our international team ever doing well.

As kids we just don't learn to keep the ball and that leads to our 100mph fast paced game the English press and fans love.

As a nation we actively encourage the move it forward quickly and that goes for every level I watch. Get rid of it...... it's a cliche but so true.

It's going to take a lot to get our younger players anywhere near the standard of Spain and Germany etc

England u17 - European finalists.
England u18 - Toulon winners
England u20 - World Cup winners.
England u21 - European semi finalists

And we have the England u19s competing in the European Championships soon too with our very own Marcus Edwards looking to shine.

Id say the future was in pretty good hands. Especially if they can all push on and get some top flight experience and move up the ranks TOGETHER.

And we have the England u19s competing in the European Championships soon too with our very own Marcus Edwards looking to shine.

Id say the future was in pretty good hands. Especially if they can all push on and get some top flight experience and move up the ranks TOGETHER.

being pedantic, I'd say we've got some very good players at all levels, but if we let the likes of Aidy Hoofroyd take charge then we're holding them back.

The average age of their line up at the Confederations Cup is 23.

Werner, Can, Goretzka, Brandt, Kimmich, Sule, Henrichs, Ginter are all eligible for the U21 team at this particular tournament. That's not even including the likes of Weigl and Sane who didn't even travel.

Neuer, Hummels, Howedes, Boateng, Sane, Weigl, Ozil, Kroos, Khedira, Gundogan, Mueller, Schurle and Gomez all left at home.

The Germans really are a machine.

being pedantic, I'd say we've got some very good players at all levels, but if we let the likes of Aidy Hoofroyd take charge then we're holding them back.

I agree with the coaching. That's the big fundamental step that the FA and England need to take.

You think having a group of players the same age beat a group of other players the same age is a reality of competitive football?

It's not.

Those tournaments really don't mean a great deal. The best English players weren't even playing!

Going forward things may get better as the FA DNA project takes hold but I don't see anything majorly different right now in terms of how we retain the ball and create.

Having "stars of today, superstars of tomorrow" emblazoned across the U21 team bus basically tells them they've all made it.

With the exception of Redman and Mawson I'd be surprised if any of those will become premier league regulars. The Chav lads will be sold off to Championship sides and not play more than a handful of sub appearances for the Chavs.

It's damning when you consider the eligible players that didn't go. There are your superstars of tomorrow...

With the exception of Redman and Mawson I'd be surprised if any of those will become premier league regulars. The Chav lads will be sold off to Championship sides and not play more than a handful of sub appearances for the Chavs.

It's damning when you consider the eligible players that didn't go. There are your superstars of tomorrow...

It would help if all the age groups were on one page with England.
It's no use having them play different styles.
Once one manager comes in for the senior team they should all train to play the same way so as it's seamless to the top.

It seems to be the same with the Spanish (especially) talians and Germans. They have an identity.
Then again it could be that our players are not technically as good at adapting to new ways.

Back
Top Bottom