Unpopular football opinions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

World class means you'd make a 25-man squad for a supposed interplanetary Earth-Mars match. Otherwise the expression is meaningless. In other words you have to one of the best four in the world in your position.

Not sure how you think Skippy will make that cut when he hasn't even been called up for England
Mars are shit....

Man city have a great fanbase. They were averaging nearly 30k in division 2.
I think people are more critical of their more recent "Johnny-come-latelys", who have jumped on the Qataris' bandwagon. The older generation probably welcomed the success at first, having been starved of it for so many years.

Which is controversial in that successive elite managers think he has potential to be ‘the best in the world’.

What am I missing, he doesn’t display elite anything as far as I can see. Decent leader, decent in the air, aggressive which I like but technical skills….? Average to below average speed, average passing ability and ball skills, rarely chips in with goals…

Suarez is the best PL player of all time, and should have won at least one Ballon d’ Or. His final season with Liverpool was the best individual season I’ve seen in England & the closest anyone has come to single handedly dragging a side to a title.

Which is controversial in that successive elite managers think he has potential to be ‘the best in the world’.

What am I missing, he doesn’t display elite anything as far as I can see. Decent leader, decent in the air, aggressive which I like but technical skills….? Average to below average speed, average passing ability and ball skills, rarely chips in with goals…

They like his leadership & general ability to organise so talk him up, possibly to give him even more credibility with the rest of the squad. Dier has limited ability but we have few players with his traits so unsurprisingly managers like him a lot.

They like his leadership & general ability to organise so talk him up, possibly to give him even more credibility with the rest of the squad. Dier has limited ability but we have few players with his traits so unsurprisingly managers like him a lot.
I get that. But other than his speed, the rest can be worked on, yet doesn't seem to have improved much over time which is frustrating. He was talked about as England captain and DM at one point - what happened to that guy? Primarily, if he could develop a pass like Toby that opens up so many more options for us. Toby would kickstart about 10 goals a season with his long diagonals (made that up).

One pipeline dream I did have the other day, was Cannavaro. One of the greatest of all time but interestingly with similar traits to Dier.

He wants to manage in England......surely come to Spurs and work under Don Conte for 2-3 years and pick up the baton once Conte moves on. Could mould Dier and our backline into a formidable force

Suarez is the best PL player of all time, and should have won at least one Ballon d’ Or. His final season with Liverpool was the best individual season I’ve seen in England & the closest anyone has come to single handedly dragging a side to a title.

Then again...... Payet singlehandedly dragged WH all the way up to 7th!!!

Now THAT'S some feat!

Last edited:
While the bribery and sportswashing is abhorrent, parts of having the World Cup in Qatar are overplayed. The main one I'm thinking about is disrupting of the seasons, every part of the world should get the opportunity to host a World Cup at some point and if that means moving around the Euro seasons by a couple weeks so that it's played in the right conditions once every four years so be it. I also hate when Europeans say 'having a world cup in winter sucks', erm the other half of the world has it in winter every time. The Middle East should have gotten a World Cup eventually, just in the right manner and once their blatant human rights issues are eradicated, (I think that will happen eventually). I also think they should go back to switching each World Cup to a new continent every time, it's the world game every place should get the chance to host it equally.

While the bribery and sportswashing is abhorrent, parts of having the World Cup in Qatar are overplayed. The main one I'm thinking about is disrupting of the seasons, every part of the world should get the opportunity to host a World Cup at some point and if that means moving around the Euro seasons by a couple weeks so that it's played in the right conditions once every four years so be it. I also hate when Europeans say 'having a world cup in winter sucks', erm the other half of the world has it in winter every time. The Middle East should have gotten a World Cup eventually, just in the right manner and once their blatant human rights issues are eradicated, (I think that will happen eventually). I also think they should go back to switching each World Cup to a new continent every time, it's the world game every place should get the chance to host it equally.
Next up, Pyongyang 2030.

Lots of flag waving. Or else...

Giggs is the most overrated player in PL history. I see so many people say hes the greatest PL player of all time. He was never the best player when he was at man utd at any point. He was a good player surrounded by world class talent his whole career.

You still ain't having it. ;)

Neither are we. :(

Then again...... Payet singlehandedly dragged WH all the way up to 7th!!!

Now THAT'S some feat!

That Payet season was unreal, tbf. Bale’s season before he left also ridiculous. De Bruyne had one season where he was next level brilliant too, can’t quite remember which it was.

Honourable mentions to Van Djik’s first full season + Alisson last season, keepers/defenders tend to go unmentioned in these discussions.

Missed the first 5 games of that season as well. Unreal player, surely the greatest striker of his generation.

Back
Top Bottom