USMNT Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

the lack of quality in the MLS might actually be hurting the national team. I mean it's fun to watch audacious goals but the defending and organizing is atrocious
We don't have very many MLS players in the A team squad anymore. In fact, if McKinnie. Steffen, and Reyna could have played Sunday, I think we would have had only one MLS player

the lack of quality in the MLS might actually be hurting the national team. I mean it's fun to watch audacious goals but the defending and organizing is atrocious
A ton of these guys are playing in Europe now though. If anything the rising “quality” of MLS are making the other CONCACAF nations better. Quite a fucked up conundrum.

Exactly. And why do they have things like POTUS and FLOTUS, just fucking say president and his wife.
POTUS, et. al are really just modern media constructs perpetuated thanks to social media because people want to sound informed. Using the "insider lingo". Its pretty stupid, in reality - particularly as its almost always used within the confines of a purely domestic discussion where the -OTUS is clearly to be assumed.

It’s better than it was, but the defending is very bad.

Still, playing El Salvador is more like an MLS game than anything Sergino Dest is used to playing his whole career at Ajax and Barcelona.

I think there’s something to the fact that the fly-by-night MLS era guys were more effective in those settings than their much more talented successors.

Also, I wonder how much jet lag plays into it?

The quality has actually improved pretty considerably, I think, over the past few years. I'm not disagreeing with you, but more of a comment on how poor of a league it really was for a number of years. It was unwatchable before, but now it's just ugly albeit a little entertaining.

It's the unfortunate byproduct of the rest of CONCACAF. LigaMX has the same problem. It's really fast, highly physical, dodgy referees, and lack of a cohesive strategy.

My hope is that it gets better but the negative aspect of CONCACAF have permeated through the league.

The quality has actually improved pretty considerably, I think, over the past few years. I'm not disagreeing with you, but more of a comment on how poor of a league it really was for a number of years. It was unwatchable before, but now it's just ugly albeit a little entertaining.

It's the unfortunate byproduct of the rest of CONCACAF. LigaMX has the same problem. It's really fast, highly physical, dodgy referees, and lack of a cohesive strategy.

My hope is that it gets better but the negative aspect of CONCACAF have permeated through the league.
I haven’t lived in the US in a few years but the year my hometown club Atlanta United won the league I went to a few games and was wincing and hiding my eyes behind my hands at some of the defending.

I think the standard would improve dramatically if clubs developed their own youth systems rather than getting players through colleges. This might have changed. I could be wrong

I dunno, the playing style such as it is of MLS definitely emerges from the strengths and weaknesses of the circa-Aughts American-developed player. “Orange slices guys” I sometimes derisively call them.

Anyway, CONCACAF also-rans being stronger, and in turn providing stronger players to MLS is a positive feedback loop. It’s just that the US missing the World Cup is a damaging and unacceptable side effect.

I haven’t lived in the US in a few years but the year my hometown club Atlanta United won the league I went to a few games and was wincing and hiding my eyes behind my hands at some of the defending.

I think the standard would improve dramatically if clubs developed their own youth systems rather than getting players through colleges. This might have changed. I could be wrong
The big difference between MLS and any other league in the world is the top-heaviness of the salary structure which naturally leads to top-heavy talent on squads, and those DP and other large contract slots overwhelmingly go to attacking players. So leaguewide the attackers are way, way better than the defenders.

It’s a league of Championship promotion contender attacks and non-league backlines.

I don’t follow the league closely enough to know if anyone has tried focusing their resources in defense to counter that, but certainly no one has done so successfully.

Academy system is now in place for MLS. In a few years college players will be rare in the league

I was at the game Sunday night... crowd was absolutely pumped for the game and squarely behind the team. Too bad we looked like absolute shit. Possession for possession's sake. Never tried to attack. Berhalter waited too late to bring on Sergeant and why the hell he started Siebatcheu over him in the first place is beyond me. If we don't win against Honduras, we need to think about replacing Berhalter. Don't give me the Nations League/Gold Cup shit because qualifying for the WC is all that matters. We were promised a new era and this looks like the same old shit.

I disagree. I think that you guys did everything you could and were just overpowered by the stronger, better Canadian team!

:sonpoint:

I disagree. I think that you guys did everything you could and were just overpowered by the stronger, better Canadian team!

:sonpoint:
What’s your take on why Canada seems to be producing far more NBA, MLB, and high level soccer players than they ever did in decades past?

Canadian hockey is as loaded as it ever was, that doesn’t seem to be the reason.

Deep breaths gents, it's early.

Given, when I saw the lineup for the El Salvador match I wanted to slap the shit out of Berhalter. FFS, open strong on the road in a winnable game, get the morale up and then if you draw to Canadia you still feel good about having gotten 4 points from the first 2 matches.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the leadership is going to come from with this group.

El Salvador just adopted bitcoin I read.

Back
Top Bottom