VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
I think what all this shows is what kind of personality referees have.
They're narcissistic and want to impose strict rules. They want o be seen to be in charge.
Any fan. Any player. Any coach. Anyone other than referee's will say that we DON'T want goals ruled out for limbs. Or for inches.
The player is not getting any advantage.
The only thing that is happening is games getting slowed down, fans joy being taken away, players being left irritated and demotivated.
Take offside out of VAR or use a simple "if I need to draw a line to see if some one is offside, give the goal, move in" tactic.
If it doesn't immediately look offside, it's onside. I would bet the vast majority of football fans would agree that is best. For or against. Just to let us celebrate a goal again. Quite often, we, even at the back of the south east upper can tell when there "might" be an offside. Let's not wait 5 minutes for a few mm to check.

Of course, we the paying fans who make football a world wide money making business have no fucking say!
Now when you sign you have to wait minutes to be sure and you have to bring a lawyer. You have to cheer moderately 😂😂

I think if we went back to no VAR, we'd clearly see a lot more errors and there'd be a ton of attention brought to it.

VAR is ok in some ways. Red cards/non red cards, you don't get completely BS red cards anymore and the blatant ones are now never missed. Before VAR, there were some red cards for what looked like foul play but was really nothing. These are game changing plays, so I think this has improved.

Offsides is hit or miss. The blatant ones being corrected is great. No one wants to concede when a player is 4 yards off. The offsides lines being drawn manually and being offsides by a fucking toenail is absolutely ridiculous. That Leicester goal was not offsides and it was complete bullshit it was disallowed. Luckily, we sucked enough that it didn't affect the result.

I think if we went back to no VAR, we'd clearly see a lot more errors and there'd be a ton of attention brought to it.

VAR is ok in some ways. Red cards/non red cards, you don't get completely BS red cards anymore and the blatant ones are now never missed. Before VAR, there were some red cards for what looked like foul play but was really nothing. These are game changing plays, so I think this has improved.

Offsides is hit or miss. The blatant ones being corrected is great. No one wants to concede when a player is 4 yards off. The offsides lines being drawn manually and being offsides by a fucking toenail is absolutely ridiculous. That Leicester goal was not offsides and it was complete bullshit it was disallowed. Luckily, we sucked enough that it didn't affect the result.

This is the conundrum.
Take VAR away and we'll see on field errors. But then the game will be less annoying live for fans in the ground.
Keep it and it carries on getting on peoples nerves.
So really, the only option is fix it. And to fix it, they need to listen to people who aren't referees. And they won't. Because they can't understand what fans want.

This is the conundrum.
Take VAR away and we'll see on field errors. But then the game will be less annoying live for fans in the ground.
Keep it and it carries on getting on peoples nerves.
So really, the only option is fix it. And to fix it, they need to listen to people who aren't referees. And they won't. Because they can't understand what fans want.
VAR will always cost more than it will benefit imo. If they can get offsides like goal line decisions (immediate and error free) then bring it in then, we set a high bar for GLD.

VAR will always cost more than it will benefit imo. If they can get offsides like goal line decisions (immediate and error free) then bring it in then, we set a high bar for GLD.
The problem with the offside, is that even if they are "error free" and even if it was done in a 10 seconds, I don't agree with their interpretation of the rule. No sane fan should. Limbs poking out, the direction each player is leaning, the players shadow etc shouldn't decide offside. A player stood further forwards the nearest player able to play him onside is the only time anyone should be offside.

This is offside. This is what offside is for

This is a fucking crime against football that it even got looked at

The problem with the offside, is that even if they are "error free" and even if it was done in a 10 seconds, I don't agree with their interpretation of the rule. No sane fan should. Limbs poking out, the direction each player is leaning, the players shadow etc shouldn't decide offside. A player stood further forwards the nearest player able to play him onside is the only time anyone should be offside.

This is offside. This is what offside is for

This is a fucking crime against football that it even got looked at
People always say that they want consistency (until they say they want common sense), if you decide var should be subjective you're back to arguing over why it's an offside for you but not man u/Liverpool.

Get rid and realise mistakes happen imo

Last edited:
I’m all for goal line technology but this VAR on offside is just plain stupid.
Here’s a suggestion: how about changing the offside rule so that it states that a player is offside if there is clear light between the attacking player and an opposition player. That would be entirely within the spirit of the offside rule and would stop this business of toenails being offside, something that would never have been judged in the old days before the technology of VAR was misused to screw up the game. It would be easy to spot by VAR and would take just seconds to adjudicate whilst, as I said, being totally within the spirit and intention of the offside rule.
Something along those lines is desperately needed. I don't think any football fan wanted this long, drawn out, mircro analysis of every bloody frame and body part.

For me, it should be judged by the naked eye. VAR should simply freeze the footage, have a quick look, if the player looks in line just give the bloody goal, and the whole process should take 30 secs. Think we can all live with that, surely?

The way it is now is fucking killing the game and sucking all the joy out of goalscoring.

VAR are trying to apply the letter of the law to everything which is impossible. They are human and judging things with a bit more info than the ref and assistant which just leads to inconsistency.
Also they don’t listen to what fans wanted.
We have goaline technology which works just fine and everyone is happy with.
All we wanted was to eliminate obvious errors in the offside. Ones where a lad was a foot offside and the assistant didn’t see it.
Goals like Richie’s the other day should be given. If it takes longer than ten seconds to judge then it should be given.
Keep it simple and keep the game going.

Goal line technology can be stupid as fuck though, all it does is show an image.

Let's not forget this farce.

For the fraction of a mm on the line, I'd want that line measured to make sure it is exactly, to the thousandth of an inch, exactly regulation thickness.

I still maintain that the best solution, and 'protest' at VAR would be for EVERY football fan inside the ground to greet EVERY goal with absolute silence.... UNTIL VAR DEEM IT OK FOR US TO CELEBRATE!

A bit petulant, I know, and it would take every ounce of restraint, and go against every instinctive gutteral passion... But IMAGINE them trying to sell THAT silent, non reaction product to the world!?
Or, if I were a player, I'd protest by not celebrating my goal, stand still and draw a screen in the air then wait with arms folded.

I think that would have a big impact and would translate to the fans.

This is my biggest issue with it. They are trying to measure down to the millimeter when the freeze frame can be blurred across inches. You are taking a subjective guess and making it an objective data point. There's no benefit in that over using your eye to judge in a situation such as Richy's one. It's farcical and creates ill feeling among fans watching on the TV as well as in the staium.
Yep. No way on earth should they be convicting a player of being a fraction offside when there's absolutely no conclusive way of knowing the exact moment the ball was kicked.

Honestly the officiating in general is a joke

I won't be convinced that this league ain't rigged now. VAR has made is so obvious now everything is checked when they simply don't want to give a decision

The PL is fast becoming like the WWE imo "mistake" after "mistake" every week goals ruled out for no reason and goals and decisions obviously incorrect allowed to stand.

The pen decision today is perhaps the worst I've ever seen multiple camera positions showed no contact don't even send the ref over

Fucking corrupt load of shit and I'm seriously considering turning away from the PL. Every week it's just ref controversy
Strange that it always works in the favour of Liverpool, ManU, Woolwich, and the moneybrothers City, Chelski, and Newcastle these VAR decisions, isn´t it??

Or are we being harsh?? Maybe it´s just EXTREMELY biased fan-boys sitting in those VAR-rooms. That would be as bad really, fuckin cunts!!

I was naive enough to believe that VAR would finally take away injustice, and suspicions of some teams getting favours, but it has just enhanced it, at least in England.

We all remember the Fergie years, where the expression Fergie-time was born, and ManUre got 10 extra points a season through dodgy decisions. I really believed that VAR would put an end to that, but boy was i wrong.

Nothing will change with VAR until they have to document the reasons why some of these questionable decisions are made.

Whether it is incompetence or corruption, they just hide behind silence. Media such as MOTD and SKY just seem to let is slide and I don't get why, any managers that speak out are slapped with fines. It is becoming worse and worse, lack of consistency and I really do believe the tech is not there yet. Low res footage which in no way can pick up the point a ball is struck, when looking for a offside. If the video shows the ball as moving, it is too late. That could be 20,30 or 40 frames, you just cant make calls on such tight decisions with those levels of error.

After each game, there should be a review written of each VAR decision and how they came to the result they did. Explaining the penalty against us and the non-check (may be they did) of the handball that lead up to their 2nd goal, would be interesting. I guess the problem for them then is that it will be easier to pick up on inconstancies from game to game, maybe even within the same game.

I know being at a game and having to endure these decisions is not entertainment at all. Richys disallowed goal last week is an example. It took far too long and the margins were so tight it was ridiculous. It seemed there only agenda was to check and check and check until they could disallow it..
These refs are actually professional so their performance should be analysed and questioned but no. You cant say anything because they have it so tough

T
Said it before, say it again, there would be a riot in the stands. If the on field refs mic picks up bad language then the broadcasters would be in the shit with broadcasting regulators too
Then they have to grow up!

You're seriously saying that grown men can't control themselves?!

Make swearing on the mic a yellow card offence that can be applied retrospectively. It'll soon stop happening.

It isn't an issue in rugby. Shouldn't be an issue to stop it happening in football.

VAR has not ruined football.

Football, like society in general, is corrupt and run by a cartel of greedy criminals.

VAR should help referees get more decisions right more often.

In my opinion it has been deliberately mismanaged to create the frustration that will inevitably lead to calls for VAR to be removed.

The bookies and those involved in cheating will be thrilled.

Normal service can be resumed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom