VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
Said it before, still saying it...

Get them mic'd up. Constant feed on the red button, cut to that feed when waiting for decisions, feed it into stadium announcement systems so everyone knows what is happening.

Would be nice to hear the views of some ref´s on this forum, we should have some!

I don´t know the rules, but can you actually get a penalty for intention??? Because there were no touch at all in that situation!

I´m fucking fuming, aren´t these people fucking ashamed of themselves? Because it must be know to the F.A., PGMOL, and SKY by now that we fans now know they are corrupt. Will anyone do ANYTHING about it???
It's not the first time a Spurs player has conceded a pen for trying to kick the ball but ended up kicking an opposition player in the back of the leg cos they came charging in from behind to take the ball. Aurier suffered that fate more than once.

This is however the most eggregious instance of that style of penalty.

Last week at wolves forest podence spat at Johnson. I seen and said he’s going to get a red. It went to var and they said no harm done. Now he is getting done by fa. How does that make sense!

There was another thread, think it was called video assistant referee. Var is shite. I've said it's good for red cards/off the ball incidents. Not much else, should only be used for offside if the linesman has a Stevie wonder moment for an offside, but that never happened in the past either
It's almost as if the fundamental attraction of football has been lost on the VAR team.
We want MORE goals, not less. We don't want them ruling everything out.

We absolutely DON'T want to have the enjoyment of scoring a goal sucked out of us because we know it'll be checked. And this can't just affect the fans. The players look less overjoyed when they score these days.

Bin it off for offside, sort the linos out. Have 4, 1 on each quarter of the pitch. Both flag - offside. Any less, onside. And live with the outcome.

It's poison. There is no reforming it, as it springs from a fundamentally false notion of what the game is.
I don't agree, but I do believe that they have proved that they have zero appetite for reform, or even introspection on any fucking level whatsoever. I've said before that when VAR was first introduced I seriously thought that the rules were so bad that they were honestly self-sabotaging VAR so they could be justified in retracting it. Then it just kept going and they never learned anything or tried to improve anything.

The league has more or less adopted the position that they invent the rules for VAR on the fly, and to suit the attitude of the on-field referee.

VAR in this league is run by a pack of clowns.

Some players are just getting clever with it. But even on a second viewing you could see Vardy instigate "contact" by grabbing Sanchez's arm before throwing himself. Disgrace.

Goal line technology, yes VAR no. It’s killing the game. Better to let the occasional fine line decision go against you than ruin each and every game.
Used to be that when a goal went in I would take a quick look at the linesman and if his flag was down that was it. The game flowed, as it is meant to do and the crowds went wild at a goal, as they are meant to do.
Now, the excitement is just being taken out of the game, so, VAR is killing the game.
Exactly. If you can't celebrate a goal is there even any point in football?

VAR only works if it is transparent.

Unfortunately it has done the opposite as we now have decisions being made selectively in a room somewhere with zero accountability.

They choose when to check and whether or not to show the video information to the audience.

It's actually made things worse as there is no consistency
I think people would be a lot more patient with VAR if this weren't the case. If VAR were actually trying to make correct decisions rather than acting as cover for the refs I think people would begrudgingly accept it.

Instead we've got the worst of both worlds.

Well yes, ideally VAR would be buried deep in outer space, but 'my' idea isn't the worst of all worlds - the current VAR implementation is that.
I see the general idea but VAR was originally to stop huge errors, this would not*

*in some cases compared to our VAR

VAR stops huge errors, most of the old fashioned ones... It creates others by micro reffing.

I like football, adding this brings in a new tactic that's unnecessary and would be worse imo.
Sorry, but you're wrong. It might bring a much needed and long-overdue discipline and sense of reponsibility to the players of the game, at elite level.

I genuinely believe we have the worst referees in European football right now and VAR is just making things worse. It’s a disgrace and needs to be scrapped.
I think VAR is a good thing. It's just football does it very, very badly.

One step would make it a million times better straight away... broadcast the ref microphones.

There is absolutely no reason for them not to be heard. Put the live feed on the red button or whatever for the whole match, with the broadcast cutting to it when they're making a call.

Let everyone hear their thought process and make them accountable.

Doesn't need that.
Have a look at the replay - if you need to draw a line on the screen to see if some one is offside - don't -give the goal immediately.
That's how the linesmen did it for decades.

Also - they have started advising lino's to leave their flags down until the play has finished. At that point they check VAR if a goal was scored.
Against Burnley (and many other times) we have been through on goal only to get flagged immediately and incorrectly. Our chance was stopped because of a bad lino flagging an onside player offside too soon.
IMO, they should check those and, if a team was in on goal and the chance was stopped, bring it back and give a direct free kick. It's not as good (especially for us) as a one on one, but you can't have good chances being blocked by bad refs.
The “don’t flag it if it’s close” thing is such an insidious cancer on the game.

Every attacking move exists in a Schroedinger’s quantum state where it both exists and doesn’t

10 secs max but yeah, bin

Also bin English refs. Also a massive mess
I said to my dad and brother at the weekend that refs shouldn't work in their own country. Too much scope for bias. Currently you can only not referee the club you support.
But an Woolwich fan could referee a Spurs match.

I said to my dad and brother at the weekend that refs shouldn't work in their own country. Too much scope for bias. Currently you can only not referee the club you support.
But an Woolwich fan could referee a Spurs match.
Possibly but these are professionals and sit outside the partisan fan vibe as they progress through the leagues as neutrals

I just think they are shit. The standard is noticeably far higher in the CL. Not helped by poor leadership from Dean etc

It is the lack of transparency the FA use to make VAR another obstacle especially for Spurs. The refs and linos are against Tottenham, and VAR has become another arm to chalk Spurs goals off. Today the lino who was constantly giving Tottenham offside and fake news BBC never looked at them even when Harry Kane was fouled before he scored onside.

Don't think Tottenham will ever win a trophy while they have to battle all the refs, linos and VAR in every game!
I agree the officials were shit tonight and some decisions went against us, but there wasn't any VAR at the ground.

Back
Top Bottom