Was your first match ever attended on TV?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

City at home in the 1989/90 season. I’m sure I’ve posted this before. East Upper. Quite a lot of City fans around us celebrating the equaliser. Remember thinking the ground looked tiny from up there. Can still remember the sounds from the terraces as we approached. Not the best match but God I’d love to relive that day for so many reasons

I also remember me constantly asking my Dad if our No. 6 that day was Gary Mabutt - my favourite player.

It was Chris Hughton.

:harrylol:

sport-football-english-league-division-one-london-england-1st-january-picture-id79663556

Away at Palace 1st Jan 1972, not on telly

1-1 Chivers free kick

decent game

Spurs vs Charlton. 18th April 1987.
1-0 (Clive Allen....obviously)
My uncle, a Gooner, took me. Sat in the West Lower and the tickets were £8 each. I remember he went to get us some food just before halftime and missed the only goal.

First game I attended was a midweek draw against West Brom in the driving rain. Hoddle scored a penalty and it finished 1-1.
They probably showed the goals on Sportsnight ... would have been either Harry Carpenter or Tony Gubba presenting in 1979?

First televised?

Spurs Vs Bristol Rovers.
22nd October 1977
9-0 (Lee 4, Moores 3, Taylor and Hoddle)
Attendance: 26571

I always remember the excitement as a kid if you turned up and the tv lorries were parked up.. " we're gonna be on the box". Crowds were a lot younger then. Me and mates were going on our own from the age of 10. Still going with some of them.

We beat Derby 3-0 and Gazza scored a hat trick, including 2 excellent free kicks. Got to briefly meet him afterwards as well as my mum worked for Holsten, the sponsor at the time.

Pretty sure it wasn't on TV.

Last edited:
Brilliant game, my first visit to Stamford Bridge. Scary atmosphere, took us over an hour to get back to the tube station after the game.
My first experience at Stamford Bridge wasn't to see us. The bloke running the Sunday league team i played for arranged a match going experience for us all.on the way, him and his mates stopped to buy a load of Bananas. Alex Williams was in goal for man City that day.......

Next morning, I told them I didnt wanna play for them any more.

I still struggle to understand why any black player signs for them. Arguably the most racist support in the country.

I always remember the excitement as a kid if you turned up and the tv lorries were parked up.. " we're gonna be on the box". Crowds were a lot younger then. Me and mates were going on our own from the age of 10. Still going with some of them.
Ha ha... we used to bang on the gate pretend to cry - claim some big boys had stole our tickets and the plod or stewards would let us in. Probably got away with it half a dozen times all told. :)

Ha ha... we used to bang on the gate pretend to cry - claim some big boys had stole our tickets and the plod or stewards would let us in. Probably got away with it half a dozen times all told. :)
IIRC, we played Everton mid week in 1982 ? (Roberts screamer) and when we got there, it was sold out.
The fella on the turnstile let us in for a fiver.

Mine was 90/1 home v Forest. Two weeks before the FA Cup final of same teams.

Gazza was meant to be injured but ended up playing and I can still remember the roar. When the tannoy was how you found out about the teams. Finished 1-1 Nayim goal.

I found some footage on YouTube years back it seems to have disappeared. Gutted. It was a Saturday 3pm game. Only got a minute on MOTD I think.

Spurs vs Charlton. 18th April 1987.
1-0 (Clive Allen....obviously)
My uncle, a Gooner, took me. Sat in the West Lower and the tickets were £8 each. I remember he went to get us some food just before halftime and missed the only goal.

Haha that was my 2nd ever game. I'm in the Paxton where the junior Spurs used to go. My first game was a couple of weeks earlier vs Norwich. Clive Allen hatrick and we won 3-0.

My first trip to the Lane though was actually a while before that for a reserve game. Back then they used to play those at WHL and you could get in for 50p or something stupid like that. As a kid it was great you had the run of whichever stands they opened. Think one of those games, they opened the shelf and we went up there which was a buzz for a kid as we would never be allowed up there for a league game. Happy days.

Since I'm American, I came by Spurs later in life. After the 2006 World Cup, I decided I wanted to starting watching the PL and adopted Spurs as my team, but I wasn't really interested. Then I made my first trip to London in October of 2007 and decided it was time to go to a match. Spurs vs Aston Villa. Went with my friends to a Tottenham pub a few hours before the match started and some local diehards adopted us Americans and made sure we had a great time leading up to the game, teaching us cheers, etc. Our seats were on the shelf side. Villa were up 1-4 at the 60 minute mark and everybody was very down. Then Chimbonda scored, Keane converted a penalty, and in stoppage time Kaboul blasted in the equalizer, took his shirt off and ran to hug Martin Jol who was about to get fired, while everybody in the stands waved the 125th year anniversary pennants they'd given out to all who attended. I'd never seen anything like the atmosphere in WHL in any sporting event I'd ever attended in America. I was well and truly hooked for life.

Spurs vs Man City 76/77 I think ?

2-0 up and drew 2-2.

IIRC there's another thread similar to this one, Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor was good enough to remind/inform me that Peter Taylor scored both our goals.
Always knew I liked him for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom