We can be heroes (again) Ajax versus Tottenham Hotspur CL Semi Final Wed 8th May

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's all this bollicks I keep reading on here about this connection our club has with Ajax ? We've raided them a few times and both clubs have some Jewish heritage that seems to be about it , we barely ever play them there is no reason to like them anymore than any other European side , bored of this fan fiction.

After the first leg, I was absolutely terrified for this match. Ajax being the clear favourites for the first time this Champions League season (except qualifiers and AEK Athens) AND playing the second leg at home, which seems to a disadvantage to me. Now Tottenham can create the advantage of away goals in stead of Ajax, which has been the case against Real Madrid and Juventus. Having everything to lose in stead of everything to win.

But for now, my confidence is growing. I've seen them playing the cup final yesterday with such confidence, such teamspirit and such hunger for prizes. I know it was against Willem II, which are nowhere that good as Ajax, but still. And looking back at this season, they only kept getting better and better. As for Tottenham, not so much.

1-0 might not seem that much, but it's a huge advantage to Ajax that they only have to score as much as Tottenham. Given the fact that Ajax is having it's most productional season ever (already scored 165 goals), this will not be a big problem.

Our home record this knock-out campaign may look not that good, but in both games against Real and Juventus, Ajax were the better side en should've scored much more than they did. So don't get your hopes up too much because of that.

I'm really excited for this game. I hope Vertonghen will be able to play, because he is a legend over here and I would like to see him very much again in our stadium.

:dembelefingers:

Anyone still have a soft spot for Ajax?!

A touch arrogant aren't they!

Spurs last 6 matches: lost 5 won 1. All pressure situations.

That's the obscurity Spurs know all too well. Besides your behind Real, Barca Bayern, Juventus, PSG, Chelsea, City, Woolwich, Borussia Dortmund and Atletico for 4 CL semi final spots. Sort of on par with clubs like Lyon, Porto, Benfica and Napoli.

So chances Spurs making it into the semi's these comming years are pretty slim. Spurs were even very close to continue in the EL after the group stages, as we all know. Just as they were/are close not even making CL next year. It's a fine line.

A season like this doesn't happen all too often, certainly not for Spurs. The TV right money has given you the chance and it might happen again in the comming decade, who knows.

You can fuck off as well.

Can we please not have a falling out between Spurs and Ajax supporters in this thread? Lot of historical respect between our two teams and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I want the winner of this semi to go lift the cup - regardless of who it is.

2 days to go and we're already getting needless needle.

AggressiveFaintEgg-size_restricted.gif

What is all this historical respect ? Can honestly say I've never heard of it until very recently.

Lamela and possibly Aurier returns will be a massive boost, if only the 2 Harrys were available too for this match.

What a shame we have had the likes of Trippier, Wanyama and Llorente starting our biggest game in the last 50+ years.

It's going to be difficult, obviously there is the attacking threat of Ajax which is considerable, but there is the midfield guile, work ethic and then there's breaking down their defence.

However, try as he might, De Ligt can't be everywhere and Poch's plan should be to isolate him while letting Son go one on one with Blind. I'd play a front three of Moura, Son and Llorente with Llorente on De Ligt and Son and Moura flooding Blind and Tagliafico.

What's all this bollicks I keep reading on here about this connection our club has with Ajax ? We've raided them a few times and both clubs have some Jewish heritage that seems to be about it , we barely ever play them there is no reason to like them anymore than any other European side , bored of this fan fiction.

Any lingering love-in between the teams was put to bed at the first leg after the off-field shenanighans that night.

Winks and Aurier are out, Lamela has zero match fitness and Jan is a major doubt
I’m pretty sure there are articles flying about this morning with quotes from Poch that verts is fit and trained well.

There is also the matter of lamela’s Insta post which makes me think he will atleast make the bench.

On the other two tough your totally right.

Seems a pretty loose reason for any modern day Spurs fan or anyone directly involved with Spurs to have any more respect for Ajax than any other team if you ask me.
You didn’t say modern day, you said historical. And there clearly is a good relationship between the clubs (if not the fans). We’ve got 4 of their ex-players here.

Back
Top Bottom