What is going wrong??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's gone wrong? We've replaced a decent nucleus with a couple of clowns not up to scratch when it comes to wearing our shirt.

We've become obsessed with signing the real deal instead of unearthing a gem. Lo Celso for nearly £60m when it shouldn't have been £20m a season before thus £40m we could have spent better.

We try and plan too long term with our signings, when it needs to be a mix of short and long term.

We are trying the same things we did before, only this time with no bite or desire. Take Jorginhos pass yesterday for Abrahams goal. Why doesn't Winks even attempt to do that sometimes? If that were a midfielder of ours I can guarantee that wouldn't have been attempted, it would have been a bail out ball backmto the defence and then across to the left, up the line a bit, back to defence and then across to the right. We waste possession.

No creative bite in our game. Today I saw Aurier intercept a ball and instead of pinging a first time ball down the line to tell his teammate where he wanted them to go and with zip and a desire to make something happen he took a touch, passed it to Sissoko who failed to control it and gave away a free kick. We don't create chances as we don't impulsively have a desire to win.

Our players aren't enjoying their football. We are too drilled on fitness (ironic with the amount of injuries we get) and we are too pre processed in our game. We don't press withndesire, just an effort to, we don't have players who want it, we don't have swagger, we have a balloon that's half deflated with our bodies, our artfulness and our minds.

Prime example is the Vardy goal earlier. Genuinely how many of our players would try and even attempt this let alone pull it off:

Look how bright and sprightly it is. Defenders don't think like attackers, hence why they defend. Our attackers don't exploit their natural attacking mindsets enough, they don't let anything flow it's always pass, control, head up look who's free and pass. We play right into other teams hands and due to this we seldom have the chance creations others deemed inferior to us have. Wolves had 25 shots away at Woolwich yesterday.....25 SHOTS! I'm tired of the clubs excuses it's time it gets its balls back. No more shit about tough preseasons, no more negative energy.

Poch talks all about the universal energy yet he constantly acts heavy and down. Bit hypocritical that and I'm sure it affects the players.

Too sluggish, too daft, too docile, too sad and emotional about itself, I want the players to come up with tricks and to use their imaginations. It's an art football and it's slowly become a cattle market, one pass after the other, same time again tomorrow. He needs to unshackle them, let the attackers be attackers and the defenders be defenders. The manager has got too smart and sometimes that makes you more foolish.

We are so afraid of losing that we don't allow ourselves the freedom required to win. We are an extremely disappointing team at the moment and we've allowed many teams to overtake us due to our stubbornness to run the clubs transfers as a way to regenerate funds that can get reinvested. It's a bit of a dead team ours now, we lack real verve and togetherness so don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Last edited:
Mate, come on. He’s been fantastic but he’s being shown up now. One-dimensional and tactically naive, and the players aren’t trying. Collectively.

So easy to concentrate on the form of the players but if you took a step back, can anyone honestly Poch has grown as a manager?

Southampton fans would say his biggest flaw was that he had no plan B. I don't really think that's changed since he came here.

His in-game management is awful. He waits too long to make subs and when he does, those subs are usually head-scratcher

if we're going to progress as a club, don't we want a manager who is more tactically advanced instead of just relying on having players run a lot?

When fully fit, we should probably go with:

Lloris, Foyth, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Sessegnon, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son, Kane.

Have a bench that looks like:

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Vertonghen, Davies, Winks or Dier, Lucas & Lamela.

Walker-Peters, Skipp, Wanyama, Eriksen & Parrott stepping up onto the bench as and when required & get Clarke back in January and get him integrated as well. No harm in it really. If possible move Wanyama and Eriksen on in January & if possible do a swap deal for Walker-Peters + ££ for Aarons in January if Norwich play ball. They'll lose the kid in the summer anyway so many a ready made KWP replacement for selling slightly earlier than they would wish would tempt them greately. Foyth gets game time to either prove himself as a RB or get stronger for a long term CB role and we blood a new era whilst drastically bringing the average starting XI age down.

We can afford one languid season which seems to be the case now but to not use this season to readjust to life without Eriksen and the CB pairing we've relied on for so long would be a farce. It may be a bit of a loser mentality but if we aren't going to get top 4 this season, why not use the campaign to fast track the bedding in period for many?
It’s far from a loser mentality sir, playing the same old fading fast half interested players is a loser mentality to be honest...
Plus all this crap talked about hanging tight until January and then we can rebuild come the window is just about the biggest pile of shite Poch has spouted to date, I mean what kind of message does that send?
It says the current players are shit and I will buy new ones, and you know all this youth at our disposal, well they are shit too, so in the mean time I’m going to stick with the troublesome out of form players over giving youth a chance....

I said it over a month ago that Poch has lost the dressing room, none of his actions since has changed my mind, people need to face facts that Poch and Tottenham are over and we need to stop hanging on to some kind of fantasy that it will all be unicorns and rainbows again....The team needs revamped and a new manager is required to do that.

Under Levy the 5 years cycle happens, it always has, and this one is now over.

Moving on, the infrastructure is now in place to support a winning manager, a proven guy who can take what quality we have within the squad and add his own pieces to go on and win a fucking league title.....let the new 5 year cycle begin!!

Hello, I've just joined this forum and this is my first post.

I don't know what the problem is at Tottenham right now but if it is partly because Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld don't want to play for the club and are seeing out their contracts so they can leave in the summer on a free transfer, then this is not a situation where Pochettino is powerless.

If I was Pochettino, I would bite the bullet, drop all three of them and say to them:

'If your don't sort out your attitude, then NO ONE is going to see you playing at club level between now and when your contract expires.

You want an elite European club to come in for you when no one has seen you for over seven months??

Yeah... Good luck with that.'

Hello, I've just joined this forum and this is my first post.

I don't know what the problem is at Tottenham right now but if it is partly because Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld don't want to play for the club and are seeing out their contracts so they can leave in the summer on a free transfer, then this is not a situation where Pochettino is powerless.

If I was Pochettino, I would bite the bullet, drop all three of them and say to them:

'If your don't sort out your attitude, then NO ONE is going to see you playing at club level between now and when your contract expires.

You want an elite European club to come in for you when no one has seen you for over seven months??

Yeah... Good luck with that.'
Joining the forum 15 minutes ago and having an opinion probably isn't the best strategy to open with!

Well, the tweet from Graham Roberts that you chose to post suggests that you agree with him, which would be an expression of your opinion.
That is absolutely fine with me and I don't see why it would be an issue for anyone else, including 1882.

Mate, I give 4/5ths of a single fuck about 99% of the shit posted in here.

Enjoy.

Mate
A few tips.
Have a read of the forum.
Get what it's about and the sarcastic nature of most of the threads
Read the forum toilet
Read the Tommy Robinson thread
Read the summer transfer thread
Read various match threads.
Then if you are still not suicidal or out and about where you live with your uncles shot gun killing people,come back and read the "Tottenham boys we are here" thread and the old spurs photos thread.
And then you should be alright posting.

Welcome to the forum :)

At the start of the season I thought, yeah we should get top 4 again. That soon went to, hmmm we might not ya know. Then to, jeez, maybe not even top 6. Now to, wow we may not get top half.

I for one definitely did not seem this coming, not this depressingly bad anyway. We have fallen off a cliff. The problems are obvious, we need fresh faces both on the pitch and on the staff. Whether that happens and how long that might take is anyone's guess, but it hasn't been enjoyable to watch Spurs for over a year now imo, bar the obvious few games.

I personally don't give a f about all this who's right and who's wrong about what's going on and who's a proper supporter or a "happy clapper" and all that petty bulls***, I just want to enjoy watching us again. Hopefully it turns around but, without change, it doesn't look promising.

So if I see a message I want to reply to, I should respond with:

'Thank you for posting that, I would like to add to the discussion but unfortunately I have no opinion.'

Would that be better?

You need to grow a thicker skin mate if you want to enjoy your time on TFC.

This place is legendary for its 'cunt offs' what you and 1882 1882 have been engaging in is a little bit of foreplay. 'Upstairs outside' if you prefer.

What's gone wrong? We've replaced a decent nucleus with a couple of clowns not up to scratch when it comes to wearing our shirt.

We've become obsessed with signing the real deal instead of unearthing a gem. Lo Celso for nearly £60m when it shouldn't have been £20m a season before thus £40m we could have spent better.

We try and plan too long term with our signings, when it needs to be a mix of short and long term.

We are trying the same things we did before, only this time with no bite or desire. Take Jorginhos pass yesterday for Abrahams goal. Why doesn't Winks even attempt to do that sometimes? If that were a midfielder of ours I can guarantee that wouldn't have been attempted, it would have been a bail out ball backmto the defence and then across to the left, up the line a bit, back to defence and then across to the right. We waste possession.

No creative bite in our game. Today I saw Aurier intercept a ball and instead of pinging a first time ball down the line to tell his teammate where he wanted them to go and with zip and a desire to make something happen he took a touch, passed it to Sissoko who failed to control it and gave away a free kick. We don't create chances as we don't impulsively have a desire to win.

Our players aren't enjoying their football. We are too drilled on fitness (ironic with the amount of injuries we get) and we are too pre processed in our game. We don't press withndesire, just an effort to, we don't have players who want it, we don't have swagger, we have a balloon that's half deflated with our bodies, our artfulness and our minds.

Prime example is the Vardy goal earlier. Genuinely how many of our players would try and even attempt this let alone pull it off:

Look how bright and sprightly it is. Defenders don't think like attackers, hence why they defend. Our attackers don't exploit their natural attacking mindsets enough, they don't let anything flow it's always pass, control, head up look who's free and pass. We play right into other teams hands and due to this we seldom have the chance creations others deemed inferior to us have. Wolves had 25 shots away at Woolwich yesterday.....25 SHOTS! I'm tired of the clubs excuses it's time it gets its balls back. No more shit about tough preseasons, no more negative energy.

Poch talks all about the universal energy yet he constantly acts heavy and down. Bit hypocritical that and I'm sure it affects the players.

Too sluggish, too daft, too docile, too sad and emotional about itself, I want the players to come up with tricks and to use their imaginations. It's an art football and it's slowly become a cattle market, one pass after the over, same time again tomorrow. He needs to unshackle them, let the attackers be attackers and the defenders be defenders. The manger has got too smart and sometimes that makes you more foolish.

Excellent post. :thumbup:

This pandering to a select group of players regarding selection will ultimately be Poch's downfall. Unless he is stopped then it may also be what takes us down to the lower depths of the league.
We have young and eager talent available who will still be with us next season. Use them now, baptism of fire maybe...but they can't do much worse than what's happening at the moment.

When fully fit, we should probably go with:

Lloris, Foyth, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Sessegnon, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son, Kane.

Have a bench that looks like:

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Vertonghen, Davies, Winks or Dier, Lucas & Lamela.

Walker-Peters, Skipp, Wanyama, Eriksen & Parrott stepping up onto the bench as and when required & get Clarke back in January and get him integrated as well. No harm in it really. If possible move Wanyama and Eriksen on in January & if possible do a swap deal for Walker-Peters + ££ for Aarons in January if Norwich play ball. They'll lose the kid in the summer anyway so a ready made KWP replacement for selling slightly earlier than they would wish would tempt them greately. Foyth gets game time to either prove himself as a RB or get stronger for a long term CB role and we blood a new era whilst drastically bringing the average starting XI age down.

We can afford one languid season which seems to be the case now but to not use this season to readjust to life without Eriksen and the CB pairing we've relied on for so long would be a farce. It may be a bit of a loser mentality but if we aren't going to get top 4 this season, why not use the campaign to fast track the bedding in period for many?

Last edited:
Not sure it does unless the manager them-self is able to morph into different versions. Guardiola has know this for a while. Klopp learnt the lesson after 7 years. Modern, high profile managers have a shelf life which is why Ferguson is perceived as amazing because he would swap out key players when he thought they were getting complacent.

That is not just magic sauce. You need to have a big budget and an infrastructure to attract the right players to do that. We don't have that. Not the failure of Poch or Levy to implement in the same way.

But absolutely the fault of both not to recognise the inevitable. Poch more than Levy in my view but there's no clear lines here.

We did too well too soon. Victims of our own success.

I believe the infrastructure ENIC/Levy are building will benefit Spurs in the long run.
State of the art Stadium - check
State of the art facilities - check
Stadium used for NFL gives another source of income - check
Efforts to expand the brand globally - in progress
Gradually raising player wages - check
Spending more in the transfer market - signs of progress

Unless the team is bough by some Saudi prince, you have to gradually become a super club. it doesn't happen overnight and it doesn't happen without set backs.

Back
Top Bottom