Which cheap striker would you go for?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which cheap striker would you go for?

• Troy Deeney

• Josh King

• Olivier Giroud

• Habib Diallo

• Chris Wood

• Ollie Watkins

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why are people saying whoever comes in will automatically sit on the bench? Isn't it possible that a striker (if we buy one) could actually rival Kane for a starting spot?

Eg - "Can't see Cavani, Costa, etc, etc coming to play second fiddle/sit on the bench...." perhaps they might come to compete?

Diego Costa has had season of 7-5-5 goals in all competitions you think he is coming in to compete with Kane?

Cavani is 33 and went from seasons of 49 and 40 goals to 23 and then 7. You think he is going to come in and compete with Kane for a starting spot?

Sure bring someone in to challenge Kane but the reality is for the money we have and the players available there isn't anyone out there that can fill that spot.

The risk in bringing in Cavani and saying compete for the 1st team striker is how does he react when he doesn't come close to beating out Kane and is left playing Europa League games? Is he fine doing that? Because bringing Cavani for some pie in the sky notion that he will compete with Kane only for him to refuse or sulk when told he is playing against Plodiv and Leyton Orient does us no good at all.

Milik couldn't beat out the average guys at Napoli for a striker position doubt he will do it here. Piatek couldn't take the starting role at Milan and is now at Hertha can't see him coming into to dethrone Kane.

Who is this mythical guy that we can afford, is available and is going to be able to come close to competing with Kane for the 1st team spot?

Diego Costa has had season of 7-5-5 goals in all competitions you think he is coming in to compete with Kane?

Cavani is 33 and went from seasons of 49 and 40 goals to 23 and then 7. You think he is going to come in and compete with Kane for a starting spot?

Sure bring someone in to challenge Kane but the reality is for the money we have and the players available there isn't anyone out there that can fill that spot.

The risk in bringing in Cavani and saying compete for the 1st team striker is how does he react when he doesn't come close to beating out Kane and is left playing Europa League games? Is he fine doing that? Because bringing Cavani for some pie in the sky notion that he will compete with Kane only for him to refuse or sulk when told he is playing against Plodiv and Leyton Orient does us no good at all.

Milik couldn't beat out the average guys at Napoli for a striker position doubt he will do it here. Piatek couldn't take the starting role at Milan and is now at Hertha can't see him coming into to dethrone Kane.

Who is this mythical guy that we can afford, is available and is going to be able to come close to competing with Kane for the 1st team spot?

I have already answered that question.

Take your 'pie in the sky' and general anti-spurs bullshit and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I have already answered that question.

Take your 'pie in the sky' and general anti-spurs bullshit and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Where did you answer it and how is anything I typed anti-Spurs?

If your answer is Cavani or Costa that is no answer. There is zero realistic expectation that either would be close to competing for the top striker position with Kane.

So again what do you do with the EL and Cup games? Are either of them fine playing those games when the don't come close to challenging Kane?

Where did you answer it and how is anything I typed anti-Spurs?

If your answer is Cavani or Costa that is no answer. There is zero realistic expectation that either would be close to competing for the top striker position with Kane.

So again what do you do with the EL and Cup games? Are either of them fine playing those games when the don't come close to challenging Kane?
Or let's bring in deeney or Wilson who will do more pointing then score goals. Or buy this Diallo guy who could flop like Janssen. At the end of the day you get the guys with experience in cups and who you know will score goals. Cavani at 33 is fitter then most strikers in their 20's his work rate is top notch. I have no doubt he would score here. If he scores a lot then of course that's great for us. Too many punts. Let's get a ready made striker who we know has done it in all comps. 20 mill over 2 years or that for an unproven talent like Diallo. I'm talking if we have aspirations of a top four finish too. I believe kane will be better for it too having decent comp up top.

Or let's bring in deeney or Wilson who will do more pointing then score goals. Or buy this Diallo guy who could flop like Janssen. At the end of the day you get the guys with experience in cups and who you know will score goals. Cavani at 33 is fitter then most strikers in their 20's his work rate is top notch. I have no doubt he would score here. If he scores a lot then of course that's great for us. Too many punts. Let's get a ready made striker who we know has done it in all comps. 20 mill over 2 years or that for an unproven talent like Diallo. I'm talking if we have aspirations of a top four finish too. I believe kane will be better for it too having decent comp up top.

I'm fine bringing in Cavani but expecting him to compete with Kane is ridiculous.

All I have ever asked when he comes up is there any indication that he is interested in coming in to be the 2nd striker and play mainly in Europe and Cup games? Because at his current level he is not going to come in to replace Kane in PL games.

Its great saying go sign X but if they have no interest in signing here or no interest in playing the role we need then it does us no good.

I think it would be awesome if we brought in Mbappe but not sure there is much value in discussing that move all that much since it isn't happening. Probably makes more sense to discuss realistic moves.

I'm fine bringing in Cavani but expecting him to compete with Kane is ridiculous.

All I have ever asked when he comes up is there any indication that he is interested in coming in to be the 2nd striker and play mainly in Europe and Cup games? Because at his current level he is not going to come in to replace Kane in PL games.

Its great saying go sign X but if they have no interest in signing here or no interest in playing the role we need then it does us no good.

I think it would be awesome if we brought in Mbappe but not sure there is much value in discussing that move all that much since it isn't happening. Probably makes more sense to discuss realistic moves.
Loads of el games and cup games. If he isn't happy with that no club will buy him. I think if he's motivated we could have a good combination of options up front. It will take some doing to compete with kane but kane needs it. For me it's perfect. Cavani brings the winning mentality and experience of winning which the others don't.

Loads of el games and cup games. If he isn't happy with that no club will buy him. I think if he's motivated we could have a good combination of options up front. It will take some doing to compete with kane but kane needs it. For me it's perfect. Cavani brings the winning mentality and experience of winning which the others don't.

I think he can sign for a number of clubs in Italy, Spain or Portugal and be the primary striker or in a better partnership where he gets to play a significant amount of league (or CL games if they have it) for them.

If he is happy to come and play that role then sure buy him, I think it is likely not what he is looking for at all or he would have signed with someone to fill that role already.

Look at his numbers the past two years and his age, it would be a shock, and likely a concern for us because it would likely mean a drop in Kanes performance, for him to legitimately compete with Kane for the top spot. It would take him taking a big step forward at age 33 from what he has been for the past two seasons for him to reach that level.

Why does it have to be a ‘cheap’ striker?

We’re an elite club now who can compete at the very top - and charge our fans elite ticket prices.

The Amazon docu confirmed Jose wanted a striker in January and Levy and Hitchen failed miserably

Surely this can’t happen again ...

Why does it have to be a ‘cheap’ striker?

We’re an elite club now who can compete at the very top - and charge our fans elite ticket prices.

Exactly, top end ticket prices should mean we should at least be in the market for some top players surely?

I'm not expecting Mbappe or Lewandowski to rock up here but i can't believe the names on this thread are the best we can do.

Why are people saying whoever comes in will automatically sit on the bench? Isn't it possible that a striker (if we buy one) could actually rival Kane for a starting spot?

Eg - "Can't see Cavani, Costa, etc, etc coming to play second fiddle/sit on the bench...." perhaps they might come to compete?
Sadly, I think Cavani and Costa are past their best, much like Llorente was

The docu alluded Jose wants a very specific type of striker - wonder what that is?

It's amazing that there is a thread for this in September 2020.
This has been an issue for almost 3 years.
118764210_10159691126007195_8928814750861998430_n.jpg

Although no doubt posted in good spirit and with the right intention, the list of options, and even more so the question itself, is an insult to the fans and all the great players who have represented this football club down the years.

To think we once smashed the British transfer record to sign Jimmy Greaves and are now reduced to this nonsense is a fucking travesty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom