Which cheap striker would you go for?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which cheap striker would you go for?

• Troy Deeney

• Josh King

• Olivier Giroud

• Habib Diallo

• Chris Wood

• Ollie Watkins

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was disappointed we started last season without a back up striker. I sort of understood how difficult the January window was and accepted no back up striker. However the way Mourinho has the team play it is essential we have a back up and results in February showed this. The summer window even in the Covid times is the time to bring someone in and I am disappointed no one is in for the start of the season. However if no one comes in by the closing of the window I consider that a terrible failure by Scouts, Mourinho and Levy as we are again unlikely to rectify this in January. To go the whole season risking Kane or Son always being able to play and not be injured, suspended or ruled out by Covid restrictions and tiredness from a crowded fixture list is not the actions of a top 6 side.

I was disappointed we started last season without a back up striker. I sort of understood how difficult the January window was and accepted no back up striker. However the way Mourinho has the team play it is essential we have a back up and results in February showed this. The summer window even in the Covid times is the time to bring someone in and I am disappointed no one is in for the start of the season. However if no one comes in by the closing of the window I consider that a terrible failure by Scouts, Mourinho and Levy as we are again unlikely to rectify this in January. To go the whole season risking Kane or Son always being able to play and not be injured, suspended or ruled out by Covid restrictions and tiredness from a crowded fixture list is not the actions of a top 6 side.

I think it will be the end of the line for most Spurs fans on Daniel Levy if he fails to bring in a striker this window. Far to many times he has allowed Spurs to start a season not prepared properly and this will be the last straw. Levy can seriously fuck off if he allows this to happen again. Should of had a striker in weeks ago, yet we are starting a season without a sufficient back up to Harry.

just seen haaland against Ireland. were we ever linked when he was at salzburg. he is just as good a finisher as kane and he's quick too. has to be a 100 plus mI'll player now. is this daka just as good with potential?

just seen haaland against Ireland. were we ever linked when he was at salzburg. he is just as good a finisher as kane and he's quick too. has to be a 100 plus mI'll player now. is this daka just as good with potential?

I think he or Salzburg had a bunch on contract demands that didn't work for us (or a lot of other teams to be fair). I think those demands took us out of any real interest in signing him.

He would have never have come to a club with Kane as the main man. His whole thing was going to a club where he’d be the “face of the franchise” as they call it in the US, and then using it as the stepping stone for Real or somewhere like that. Although I suspect City will throw everything at him when Augero goes.

What would Daka sell for? Given his age and performance, I would be surprised if he were to sell for anything less than £30 million, even under COVID circumstances.

We never stood a chance. He’s off to Real next season apparently

Why are people saying whoever comes in will automatically sit on the bench? Isn't it possible that a striker (if we buy one) could actually rival Kane for a starting spot?

Eg - "Can't see Cavani, Costa, etc, etc coming to play second fiddle/sit on the bench...." perhaps they might come to compete?
Mainly because 99% of the forum don’t want Kane dropped and think every striker we are linked isn’t good enough.
That was point of my post. To outline the level is striker in the PL.
It’s littered with average players, there’s literally about 4 top out and out strikers.

So what level are people looking at when our rivals second strikers are the likes of Batshuyai, Origi and Greenwood.
I’d genuinely like to know who people actually think we are.
Don’t think we’ll be signing a Klinsmann when we have 6 AMs, and I don’t think Jose is going to deploy two strikers as a main tactic.

We need back up, so when you look at the list, I’d like people to say what exactly is the level we should be going for.
Spewing out bullshit about AIMING HIGH means little when the likes of Liverpool have two actual strikers, Origi and Minamino

Josh King is the safest option for me. Won't be too expensive, PL proven and can play as a wide forward as well.

I'd steer clear of Ollie Watkins. One good season in the Championship for a highly offensive team. We'd be a bad move for him as well. Should go somewhere he's highly likely to be a starter, Villa perhaps.

Exactly, top end ticket prices should mean we should at least be in the market for some top players surely?

I'm not expecting Mbappe or Lewandowski to rock up here but i can't believe the names on this thread are the best we can do.
I’ve been trying highlight that there isn’t many players in a bracket of talent slap bang inbetween the Mbappe’s and the Origis though.

You said Mbappe and Lewandoski. One is 32, it says a lot when there’s nothing else close to Mbappe under 25.

No, a striker doesn’t have to be cheap....or Mbappe.....but I don’t know any solid 60M level strikers knocking about.
I wish someone could list a few, because for all the posturing, and saying it doesn’t have to be Mbappe but I don’t want King, I’ve yet to see a list of names that fit the bill.
Cavani is the only one, and half the forum don’t want him either.

Wasn’t we in for Immobile the other year?
Is he even any good?

Although no doubt posted in good spirit and with the right intention, the list of options, and even more so the question itself, is an insult to the fans and all the great players who have represented this football club down the years.

To think we once smashed the British transfer record to sign Jimmy Greaves and are now reduced to this nonsense is a fucking travesty
Are you prepared or able to compile a list of viable options though?
Is anyone?
Because by saying something like “it’s not my job the scouts should know” means that when players we have never heard of are mentioned (Piatek, Halib, Willian Jose) it’s not really fair that people run to YouTube and start calling them shit.

Tell me who you think we should be going for. You can look at my list of PL strikers for inspiration if you want.....it’s not very inspiring though when you take out Vardy, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Aguero.
Or are you saying we should make a few cheeky bids on players we will never get to appease the fan base?

Make a list, please, put up or shut up.

You can’t dismiss every player linked and not say who you want.

What would Daka sell for? Given his age and performance, I would be surprised if he were to sell for anything less than £30 million, even under COVID circumstances.
Haaland was sold for 20m, Minamino for 8.5m. Salzburg don´t usually sell for all that much. We are not linked with Daka by any reliable source, though.

I voted for Diallo. Yes, he is from Ligue 1 - I don´t think it´s necessarily a problem; different players for sure, but Watkins plays in the Championship, yet apparently this is not a issue.

Are you prepared or able to compile a list of viable options though?
Is anyone?
Because by saying something like “it’s not my job the scouts should know” means that when players we have never heard of are mentioned (Piatek, Halib, Willian Jose) it’s not really fair that people run to YouTube and start calling them shit.

Tell me who you think we should be going for. You can look at my list of PL strikers for inspiration if you want.....it’s not very inspiring though when you take out Vardy, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Aguero.
Or are you saying we should make a few cheeky bids on players we will never get to appease the fan base?

Make a list, please, put up or shut up.

You can’t dismiss every player linked and not say who you want.
Erling Haaland should be one we prepare a bid for in the next two seasons, he’s defiantly a Kane Mk2.....Right now Maxi Gomez at Valencia, guessing 40m would bag him....

Erling Haaland should be one we prepare a bid for in the next two seasons, he’s defiantly a Kane Mk2.....Right now Maxi Gomez at Valencia, guessing 40m would bag him....
Haaland is a no go for this season, and I don’t know much about Gomez.
I remember Poch saying that Morata wouldn’t come as he thought he wouldn’t get a game with Kane fit.
Not sure what Poch said to him to make him think that (jest) but if we are going to go with first team options from La Liga, we need to scrap the back up talk, and Golden Boots, and start considering serious rotation with Kane.

I’ve not seen much in Jose’s past to think he’ll be going to with two out and out strikers on the pitch

Haaland is a no go for this season, and I don’t know much about Gomez.
I remember Poch saying that Morata wouldn’t come as he thought he wouldn’t get a game with Kane fit.
Not sure what Poch said to him to make him think that (jest) but if we are going to go with first team options from La Liga, we need to scrap the back up talk, and Golden Boots, and start considering serious rotation with Kane.

I’ve not seen much in Jose’s past to think he’ll be going to with two out and out strikers on the pitch
No - Poch said Morata told him he’s not keen to come because of Kane

Wow...what a list.
Doesn't that list just inspire you for the season ahead, personally i would say none of them are good enough and levy really is taking the piss now...what an embarrassing state we are in...

No - Poch said Morata told him he’s not keen to come because of Kane
Not bothered about how and why to be honest.
The point is that we have a reputation as the Harry Kane team in football, Pep even mocked us over it publicly.

This is also perpetuated by a fan base who on one hand never want Kane benched for any serious game, yet want a top level striker to compete with him.
What? Against Colchester and the Cork All Stars?
We don’t have a manager that plays two strikers......does any top club?

No decent striker wants to sit on the bench and wait for Kane to break his ankle while trying to make a name for himself in the Carabou and EL.
Why leave first team football in La Liga for that?

So if you believe Kane should never see the bench, and we have a manager who doesn’t play two strikers every week (because no one does outside of Divison 2) then please accept that it’s the Kings and Deeneys of this world we are going to look at, and that is basically something you advocate.

I’d happily rotate Kane. Sub him off, bench him.
Yet you don’t see me demanding top 4 start 11 level strikers.

Back
Top Bottom