Who do you want to see with the captain’s armband?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham’s New Captain

• Sonny

Votes: 99 51.3%
  • Bissouma

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • Skipp

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Romero

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Bentancur

Votes: 19 9.8%

• Total voters
Captain needs to be here and a mainstay ins team

I think it's a good move. Sonny is one of the most experienced and well liked members of the team. He's a glue for right now, the last of the old guard if you like, but he's at an age where there will most likely be a change again in a few years for the next man.

Sonny has shown loyalty and that he is capable to deal with the pressure in the past.

That old Committee of Kane Dier PEH and Lloris is surely dead and buried
I didn't mind Lloris as captain (other than his last couple of years here) and even Kane to some extent, but never understood Dier or PEH as captains tbh. I get why they might have been chosen but they both clearly were lacking something needed in order to make them top captains.

Last edited:
Lovely person and a great player, but I’d much prefer a complete bastard to be our captain. Unfortunately, we are presently bastardless, so we are where we are.

I’d have gone for PEH, but it looks like he may be on his way now.

I didn't mind Lloris as captain (other than his last couple of years here) and even Lloris to some extent, but never understood Dier or PEH as captains tbh. I get why they might have been chosen but they both clearly were lacking something needed in order to make them top captains.
Lloris was fine as a captain until he wasn't good enough but problem was he was still playing.

Usually when the captain isn't good enough they stop playing and become "club captain" if they been a good servant and still at the club.

Lloris didn't have that and being in goal everything is scrutinized.

If that's the qualification ?
Sonny is a level-headed, encouraging footballer who has the respect of team mates young and old, opposition players, referees and managers on an international level. He's also the proven and much-loved and admired captain of South Korea.

He's not doing this solo; he has a brilliant midfielder and an inglorious bastard defender at his side and together they form the new spine of our club.

I respect that you don't agree and have concerns, but for now it's done. After everything the guy has done for us, I don't think it's too much to ask of fans to have his back and cheer him on in his new role.

Sonny being captain is going to please our South Korean supporters of which we have quite a few. Hang on.....that couldn't have been behind his appointment could it? Nahhhh I'll put that out of my head....that was out of order.

Ok maybe there were more deserving or suitable ?
If you're going by experience and/or length of service, I think there's only Dier in front of Son. Totally agree re Maddison, not so sure about Cuti. Personally I would have chosen Bissouma or Bentacur, but they have their issues. My only concern about Sonny is if he has another bad season, he will still play. Hopefully Ange will be brave enough to drop him, if it's called for.

Lovely person and a great player, but I’d much prefer a complete bastard to be our captain. Unfortunately, we are presently bastardless, so we are where we are.

I’d have gone for PEH, but it looks like he may be on his way now.

I said the same.

In a minority of 2.

Simon and Garfunkel are back!

No need to be rude. It's only a joke. Although I did say PEH would be my choice.

Our most successful skippers have been very skillful, disciplined, determined and hard as nails.
Danny Blanchflower the first three and Dave Mackay all four.

If you're going by experience and/or length of service, I think there's only Dier in front of Son. Totally agree re Maddison, not so sure about Cuti. Personally I would have chosen Bissouma or Bentacur, but they have their issues. My only concern about Sonny is if he has another bad season, he will still play. Hopefully Ange will be brave enough to drop him, if it's called for.

I understand.

Im happy with Son as I think he will relish this, as he does for SKorea. It will lift him.

Also, I have faith that Captaincy won't be an obstacle for Ange to drop out-of-form players. It's just his nature. Team first, and why he chose 2 back ups in Cuti and Madders.

Sonny being captain is going to please our South Korean supporters of which we have quite a few. Hang on.....that couldn't have been behind his appointment could it? Nahhhh I'll put that out of my head....that was out of order.

You're well entitled to your opinion on choice of Captain but that's just inane. You think Ange is one to pander to the South Korean fanbase?

You're well entitled to your opinion on choice of Captain but that's just inane. You think Ange is one to pander to the South Korean fanbase?

If I thought it was the case which I clearly scolded myself for doing so......it wouldn't have been Ange deciding, he would be under instructions.
But I don't think it is true, I'm suggesting a cynical possibility.

Back
Top Bottom