Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are in a horrible limbo:

Big enough to have expectation and entitlement that can soon turn toxic, yet not big enough to compete with the elites in terms of players.

We might have to go backwards before we go forward, like when we went down then bounced back with Burtenshaw. We certainly won't jump up a level with Levy in charge.
That isn't even an issue really, it doesn't matter that we can't beat City, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern or whoever to a signing, the problem is that clubs like Brighton, West Ham, Villa, Wolves, Newcastle (now) etc sign players that would improve us and we just sit back and wait for deadline day in the hope of signing some of the scraps that the "elite" clubs have left on the table...

Struggling to create anything and we play 7 defense minded players.

I get playing it against the likes of City, but other than that it can fuck off.
I think it works when you have fantastic full-backs and great centre midfielders. We have neither so don't know why we persist with it either.

best thing about that image is the flappy tongue on Ruud's boots, I had a pair of kings with the flappy tongue. Pure nostalgia

Till the ripe old age of 45 I always wore Puma kings!

Was speaking to a local legend Robbie O’Keefe one day at an academy day.
He bought a young player over wearing some shiny boots pointed at my boots and said this is how I know this man was a “baller” in his day.

:contefists::contekiss:

Whether or not we manage to tick every box isn't a case of "leaving it late".

Every club's fans are glued to the final days of the window; that's just the nature of the beast.

What you're describing are just universal frustrations of most clubs and fans.

This isn't come Spurs-centric phenomena.

"No brainer", "Should have signed".... Call it what you will.

Well replace the phrase as you see fit... My sentiment remains the same.

Well he's on a reduced wage AND on a play-or-no-pay basis so that would suggest he was pretty keen to go there, yes......

Like I alluded to, his agent spoke at length about this and his motivations for doing so. The name Gerrard was constant and yet Villa were barely mentioned at all. Meanwhile we seemed to be linked; to the point that some sources claim that we have our names attached to his eventual option to buy clause in the summer; so we obviously didn't just sit back and watch him sign for Villa un-interested.

Regardless; it's funny how when it suits people want to cast Villa as some upcoming force to be feared; yet they're bums in the middle of nowhere when the script requires it.

Again, it's funny how when it suits we are a club with a small-time mentality; but trying to sign a higher callibre of player suddenly becomes a stick to beat us with when it suits.

Look, I have massive frustration with our scouting; but we've signed 19 players in the last 3 seasons..... We haven't just been sat on our hands idly watching the teams below us hoover up players that would obviously boost us back to being league challengers again..... And yeh, the whole "Spurs leave it late" IS a myth.
1 - If you run out of time to tick every box then yes it is a case of leaving it late, you've left it too late in fact...

2 - Yes, because until the window shuts any club could sign a player, you can include Man City in that (and even use their failure to sign Kane to say, look, all clubs swing and miss from time to time...) but they are currently top of the league and progressing in CL, their need is much less than ours...

3 - I'm sorry, I'm not invested in this enough to go through the last few years of transfers for all mid table Prem clubs just to prove a point to you that they have signed good players that would have improved us at those times. You can do that yourself if you wish, it's bound to be subjective to an extent anyway, but if you come back to me and say that you wouldn't want any of those players then you'll be lying.

4 - They can be both (though mid-table prem isn't bums, it just happens to be below us, for now...) they are worse than us, and yet have shown improvement and made smart signings, if both clubs continue their trajectories then they will overtake us at some point.

5 - It's a stick to beat us with when we fail, it's great to be after signing the best players around, but if you don't actually seal the deal then it's all for nothing, and the amount of times we've missed the boat on someone because we've been sniffing after someone that was eventually signed by a top tier club makes me think we should probably realign our targets and go for the best attainable from the off. I'm sure you'll ask me for specific examples and off the top of my head I can't give you a comprehensive list, and I'm not about to go and research it either, so if you want to discount my point based on that then fair enough, I will go out on a limb now and say their is absolutely zero chance that Frank Kessie signs for us this summer as an example, we will be linked heavily I'm sure, and ITK might even say it's practically done for a good few weeks, but he'll go to a Real, Barca, City etc. And in the meantime I'd wager plenty of perfectly good cm's will have been transferred for perfectly reasonable fees, whilst we're left 2 injuries away from the Winks/Hojbjerg axis of doom...

6 - We haven't no, but we've been doing a bad job at squad building for a number of years now, and I'm not after a summer of signings that immediately make us title challengers, I just want some players that improve us and make us vaguely bloody watchable again, I don't think that's too much to ask.

And finally, Spurs leave it late, you can disagree all you like but that's not going to change my mind, feel free to save this post and bring it back up on August 31st, I guarantee we will be sat at our screens desperately hoping for another 2 or 3, hopefully not 4 or 5, new signings still due to no back up striker, no creative midfielder, no new centre back yet. If I'm wrong then I'll be delighted.

Not in the manner that your initial post painted.... Not at all.

Time is finite.... You implied he just sat on our arese and left everything to the last minute whilst the lesser clubs hoovered up player that would have elevated us. That's not true.

Who said anything about City....?

How about WH & Arse who's fanbase are both fuming that they signed NOBODY in Jan and put their current targets in jeaopardy?

Ditto Utd that binned off Greenwood, Martial, VDB and a couple of others and have now left themselves pretty thin?

How about every other club that isn't funded by an oil state?

You're the once making these claims; not me..... Why should I dig deep on your behalf?

If you're not "invested" in the discussion and can't even be arsed to provide an example or two, then meh..... Let's just call a day right here....

"I'm sorry, I'm not invested in this enough" to read the rest.
Whatever...

A conversation with you is too tedious as it is to then have to go and do a fucking homework project on what is simply fucking obvious just by casting your eyes over any of the squads mentioned!

Don’t think I’ll ever see Spurs lift a trophy again in my lifetime and I’m only 35. With ENIC and Levy in charge that’s for certain
I’m 28 and have also resigned myself to the fact that I’ll likely never see us win something again or if I do I’ll be too senile to know what’s happening

Distaste for scouse

Hates football hipsters. Go cram your XG up your..
This is a serious thread for serious people only.

Will we ever win a trophy again?

Even the Bruce Springsteen patented "glory days" of winning the top 4 trophy regularly and bagging the prestigious Audi cup seem firmly in the rear view mirror.

I'm worried people, curious mixture of apathy, sleepless nights and Spurs induced constipation.

So I invite you to give your opinion.

Indiana Jones Life GIF

Go On Reaction GIF by Black Prez

#Gallows humour only
#We're shit and we know we are
#Let the healing begin

Ever? Yes. Probably. Maybe. With a lot of luck.

In my lifetime?
- League Cup 30%
- FA Cup 20%
- Europa 5%
- PL 0%
- CL you having a laugh?

Oh and the ECL or some other newly made up trophy: I couldn’t give a toss.

Last edited:
Hard to believe we will at the current time and not because we are poor in terms of players but that we constantly seem to have an insurpassable hurdle every time we try.

In that regard we are peculiar and to find a parallel is quite difficult.

So yes of course but hard to know when.

A part of me did think.the League Cup in a season when we have been so average but again and because it's us not to be.

Whereas Woolwich winning the Europa would just not surprise me despite them just as abject.

We should aim to be like Liverpool in the next couple of seasons, and have a damn good go at winning the “premier league runners up” trophy.....Just our luck it’s wasn’t a thing back in 2017.......

We'll definitely win one (or more than one) next season. Come back and congratulate me when we do.

I'd never support a club that doesn't win trophies.

Harsh on both.

Poch reached 2 finals and 3 semi finals

Redknapp reached 1 final and 2 semi finals.

Levy doesn’t rate the league cup cos it wasn’t enough to make Keane and Berbatov stay.

To be fair noone has rated the league cup for decades but our exits have been generally embarrassing in it for a long time. Same as FA Cup. And Europa League.

Redknapp chucking that Portsmouth cup semi final to focus on Top 4 after taking replays to beat all of Leeds, Bolton and Fulham sums it up for me. Following year he just chucked a 4-0 surrender into Fulham early doors, unwelcome distraction was the message. Sent a third team out to Ukraine to play in a knock out round of the UEFA Cup, who wants to progress in that hey?

Pochettino giving less than zero fucks when we played Gent in the UEFA Cup. Complete apathy of home exits against Palace and Leicester as two examples.

Can't be bothered to give more examples but its tough to recall the last time we beat a decent team in a league/fa cup/Europa competition (at any stage). Only one I can think of really is beating Woolwich in the league cup three years back where Alli scored. Not even sure how full strength Woolwich were that day.

Back
Top Bottom