Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Made this for the summer, but it didn't fit. Now, I think it does…
scrooge-mcduck_zps1d7b3417.gif

You cannot even recall a Premier League loan.

Long Term Loan Transfers shall be for a full Playing Season; or from any date prior to 31st
August to any date between 1st and 31st January
; or from any date between 1st and 31st
January (the January transfer window) to the end of the Playing Season.

A Player on Long Term Loan may not be recalled, except for a goalkeeper or where the
Player is to be transferred permanently by the Club
(or club) holding his registered
contract.

Now Spurs reported this as a season-long loan back in August though we could also assume it was a long-term loan upto the 31st January with a view to extend it to the end of the season, surely most clubs would do this to cover their backs?

If indeed it was an actual season-long loan and we have recalled him then perhaps we are selling him as otherwise we would not be able to play him.

As with the case of Adam Smith who was recalled from a season-long loan at Derby perhaps we had to sell him as he could not play for us this season.

Berbatov in line for surprise Spurs return
ESPN staff
January 31, 2014

Dimitar Berbatov could make a surprise return to Tottenham with chairman Daniel Levy keen on re-signing his club's former striker.

Berbatov's agent Emil Danchev has indicated that the 33-year-old wants to leave Fulham and he has also been linked with a a move to Woolwich in this transfer window.

The striker left Tottenham in 2008 to sign for Manchester United for £30 million with Levy saying the decision to sell was due to Berbatov's pushing for a move to United after just one season at White Hart Lane.

Despite the bad feeling that episode left, Berbatov appears ready to return with his agent reportedly staying in London to negotiate a deal before the transfer window closes at 11pm on Friday.

Spurs are looking for another forward with Jermain Defoe about to join Toronto and Berbatov, whose Fulham contract expires in the summer, is in demand as an experienced stop-gap signing.

Woolwich are also aware of his availability and Turkish side Besiktas are said to have shown interest.

Arsene Wenger, the Woolwich manager, said in early January that Berbatov was not a player his club were considering "at the moment".

However, negotiations for the Frenchman's key target, Schalke's Julian Draxler, appear to have stalled and Berbatov would provide cover for striker Olivier Giroud in the short-term.

Meanwhile, Spurs midfielder Lewis Holtby is poised to sign for Fulham on loan from Tottenham, according to The Daily Telegraph, and is likely to be an element in negotiations for Berbatov.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/278615.html#tyVIz7pF1jujvrib.99

I wouldn't be furious to see Berbatov back, the guy was pure class when he was here, I'm just not sure if he is anymore.

My concerns;
  • Lots of fans hate him (although I have no problem personally, we got £30mil + for him which was a lot in those days). He did his service to the club and got his move, he was never a cunt about it in my mind.
  • Conversely lots of fans like Holtby, his high work rate etc is the opposite to what Berbatov provides.
  • To get the most from him you generally need to build a team around him and I don't think we can do that.
  • If we are just buying him as a third striker I'm not sure he's going to be the man you want to bring on when your 1-0 down and chasing the game in the 60th minute. (Although saying that he is the kind of player if you switch off and forget he's there he will punish you).
I'd take him though, personally in a swap for holtby, it's not ideal, but I don't think we will miss him. We do however need a third striker and not so many attacking midfielders. It makes sense to me.

BUT PS...
NEED A MUTHA FUCKING LEFT BACK!!! :levyeyes:

I wouldn't be furious to see Berbatov back, the guy was pure class when he was here, I'm just not sure if he is anymore.

My concerns;
  • Lots of fans hate him (although I have no problem personally, we got £30mil + for him which was a lot in those days). He did his service to the club and got his move, he was never a cunt about it in my mind.
We're all a fickle bunch, mate - two goals later they'd be chanting his name again

Last edited:
I want some dirty ITK with grainy phone pictures of someone arriving for a medical

Is it too much to ask for on a Friday?

Back
Top Bottom