WTF is going wrong

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the title suggests

• Under-invested mess of a squad

Votes: 100 49.8%
  • Over-the-hill mess of a manager

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 60 29.9%
  • I prefer to stick my head in the sand and pretend everythings sweet

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • We have the right board and the right manager, but teams lose games sometimes

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Liver metatastis frequency

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
I really want to know who the driver is behind our transfer activity. I’m not talking about how much we spend, I’ll let the Levy haters / apologists discuss that. Who is the driving force within our committee in identifying and committing to the signing of players. There are a lot of complaints about our “stale” squad but our activity has lacked a proper plan.

- Sanchez was bought to be the lynchpin of our defence by this point for sure. That hasn’t happened. The progress of Foyth has been even more stunted. Why did we sign a CB for 40m who can’t pass and then attempt to play out from the back? There’s no synergy between our transfer activity and tactics.

- We bought Aurier in somewhat of a panic following the Walker sale. Did we scout him? If so, surely his defensive inadequacies were evident?

- What was the strategy when signing Sessegnon? Was he bought as a long term replacement for Rose or to be used as a wide MF? It’s not clear to me why we bought him yet. We must have had a plan?

- Why did we spend so much money on 2 number 8’s when we were crying out for a DCM? Wanyama is done and Dier has regressed significantly. I understand Poch wanted to play the diamond but one of Ndombele / GLC plus a DCM was the right path and I think most people agreed on that at the time.

- Why didn’t we retain Llorente on a free? He’s not great at all, but seemed like a good egg in the dressing room and never let us down. In the absence of a second striker we should have picked him back up.

- What was the plan when we signed Sissoko? What was he bought for? He was initially deployed as a wide MF but that was the same summer Mane went for the same price. Why weren’t we after him instead? Did we just see he was available towards the end of the window and think “that’ll do”?

I guess the point is we have no clear strategy at all when it comes to transfer activity. For all Levy’s faults, he’s always struck me as someone who plans things meticulously, except he hasn’t in this regard.

We are the 6th biggest club in England, but I believe we can scale higher than that by buying savvy and being more astute in the market. Dortmund are, why can’t we?

We need direction and a plan. That starts with the appointment of a Director of Football for me.

Wage bill and squad investment wise we are pretty much where we should be. I'd call all this reverting to the norm, after a few years punching above our weight with Poch getting the best out of a group of good but not World Class players, and Kane exploding at the same time. Just a big shame we didn't win the league when we had the chance, or ride the wave a bit longer with a couple of marquee signings long before summer 2019.

A cheap owner who decided to scapegoat Poch and bring in another manager because it's a lot cheaper to replace a manager than buying a new DM, CF, LB, and RB.

Incompetent scouts who didn't notice our record signing has the fitness of a sunday league player.

Wage bill and squad investment wise we are pretty much where we should be. I'd call all this reverting to the norm, after a few years punching above our weight with Poch getting the best out of a group of good but not World Class players, and Kane exploding at the same time. Just a big shame we didn't win the league when we had the chance, or ride the wave a bit longer with a couple of marquee signings long before summer 2019.
Why were we punching ABOVE our weight? We once won the double and finally we were back to being a top 2/3/4 club. We had the best defence in the league, and that's where we now lack. It may be boring but all good teams are based on giving fewest goals away. We seriously need to get defenders who can do this again. We have loads of Cms and we can score goals, although another CF is essential.
I have watched Spurs for 60 years and want us to be winners again, not settle for mediocrity.

Squad, it has some strong points just we have some very weak areas that expose us. We probably needed a rebuild/evolution about 2-3 seasons ago but I think the stadium hamstrung us (or whatever reason for little spending) Poch got what he could out of what was left until he and the squad burnt out and now Mourinho has a tough job on his hands.

I am not a huge Mourinho fan but it’s not easy for him or anyone TBF.

I think we all got used to Poch and the team around 16/17 and thought that was normal rather than a unbelievable performance so when we came back down some just thought that the manager was now crap and his replacement in Mourinho crap as well rather than accept the reality of the squad we have.

I think we all got used to Poch and the team around 16/17 and thought that was normal rather than a unbelievable performance so when we came back down some just thought that the manager was now crap and his replacement in Mourinho crap as well rather than accept the reality of the squad we have.
That's it ultimately in my opinion. We had the opportunity to win stuff while the team was in unreal form, and failed. Since then, most of the most players have declined or left. The current owners won't buy their way to the top like Man City, for better or worse, so we've just got to keep supporting the team and hope we get another shot.

I have friends that support League One plodders, and they're a lot happier football wise than the average Spurs fan. It's the hope that kills you.

I think that peak poch period will be appreciated much more in years to come when we still haven't reached those heights again. Based on what we spend, we are where we should be now in the league.

We sacked Poch. Poch got us into the Champions League and kept us there. No other manager in the PL history has done that. And Mourinho will probably fail that too. Not that he deserves to be sacked for that failure. Poch was over-achieving. Jose has got the squad playing at the level they are without Son/Kane.
The problem was that we didn't improve the squad when we were doing well.

The

BBPowderFig3-1.jpg

The fuck has any of this got to do with "WTF has gone wrong with our football team!

:mourwhat:p

It's a bad season, every club has one, (except for Woolwich who have one every season).

Last season was such a high but ended on such a low and I dont think the players have recovered.

The players look uninterested and can't seem to get motivated.

It’s funny how people expected much more from this shallow squad without Son and Kane. I lost all my expectations when Sonny got injured and I’m glad I did

Losing Kane and Son at the same time was a killer.

Although our problems go much deeper than that, that was the Icing and cherry on the cake.

Our season visualised as a cake.

cake-disaster.jpg

Back
Top Bottom