WTF is going wrong

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the title suggests

• Under-invested mess of a squad

Votes: 100 49.8%
  • Over-the-hill mess of a manager

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 60 29.9%
  • I prefer to stick my head in the sand and pretend everythings sweet

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • We have the right board and the right manager, but teams lose games sometimes

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Liver metatastis frequency

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
He’s a child or an idiot on the wind up. Rarely posts when we win as that doesn’t suit his agenda. Just climbs out from under his rock when things are looking dodgy. Loves a good defeat as it gives him ammo.
Oh.

Like this voice of reason when everyone else was frothing after the Woolwich game?

Not happy with it. But not suicidal either.
Yes being 2-0 makes it seem worse than it is. But at the end of the day, a point away at Woolwich is a point away at Woolwich. However it comes.
And a point away at any top 6 team shouldn't be made out to be the catastrophe some on here calling it.
A decade ago we'd be celebrating.

Or this show of happiness

Come on man. This is a great, fantastic night for all of us to remember forever.
Lets just all enjoy it together, eh?

Come dance with me baby

001702472e72b7d14d626cc8ef1fd1be.gif

Or this?

Ha ha!
20 minutes ago I was starting to compose a post to bump the Levy out thread to the top of the board.

Now I'm about to open a beer and happy as a pig in shit dreaming of Ricky Villa and Wembley.

Funny old game.

COYS! :levylol:

That's one huge chip you're carrying on your shoulder matey

Last edited:
I really want to know who the driver is behind our transfer activity. I’m not talking about how much we spend, I’ll let the Levy haters / apologists discuss that. Who is the driving force within our committee in identifying and committing to the signing of players. There are a lot of complaints about our “stale” squad but our activity has lacked a proper plan.

- Sanchez was bought to be the lynchpin of our defence by this point for sure. That hasn’t happened. The progress of Foyth has been even more stunted. Why did we sign a CB for 40m who can’t pass and then attempt to play out from the back? There’s no synergy between our transfer activity and tactics.

- We bought Aurier in somewhat of a panic following the Walker sale. Did we scout him? If so, surely his defensive inadequacies were evident?

- What was the strategy when signing Sessegnon? Was he bought as a long term replacement for Rose or to be used as a wide MF? It’s not clear to me why we bought him yet. We must have had a plan?

- Why did we spend so much money on 2 number 8’s when we were crying out for a DCM? Wanyama is done and Dier has regressed significantly. I understand Poch wanted to play the diamond but one of Ndombele / GLC plus a DCM was the right path and I think most people agreed on that at the time.

- Why didn’t we retain Llorente on a free? He’s not great at all, but seemed like a good egg in the dressing room and never let us down. In the absence of a second striker we should have picked him back up.

- What was the plan when we signed Sissoko? What was he bought for? He was initially deployed as a wide MF but that was the same summer Mane went for the same price. Why weren’t we after him instead? Did we just see he was available towards the end of the window and think “that’ll do”?

I guess the point is we have no clear strategy at all when it comes to transfer activity. For all Levy’s faults, he’s always struck me as someone who plans things meticulously, except he hasn’t in this regard.

We are the 6th biggest club in England, but I believe we can scale higher than that by buying savvy and being more astute in the market. Dortmund are, why can’t we?

We need direction and a plan. That starts with the appointment of a Director of Football for me.

You’ve found 3 positive posts out of over 9000. Aye, you’re a ray of fucking sunshine.
Yes. 3 random posts to call you out for the bitter, twisted, angry little man you represent on this forum. :angryscouser:

And just to piss on your fireworks one more time, my 9,000 posts of negativity have somehow had over 21,000 positive reactions. :)

Awkward 🤒

Last edited:
Yes. 3 random posts to call you out for the bitter, twisted, angry little man you represent on this forum. :angryscouser:

And just to piss on your fireworks one more time, my 9,000 posts of negativity have somehow had over 21,000 positive reactions. :)

Awkward 🤒
21000 positives. Almost half from Scott.

I have seen you being positive on here. And like almost all of us you are positive when we win and negative when we lose. Nothing wrong with that. It’s the constant message you peddle that’s wearing. Levy isn’t responsible for everything that goes wrong. He just isn’t. Spurs are bigger than just him.

However you are free to post what you want. I’ll try to keep my counsel in future.

I really want to know who the driver is behind our transfer activity. I’m not talking about how much we spend, I’ll let the Levy haters / apologists discuss that. Who is the driving force within our committee in identifying and committing to the signing of players. There are a lot of complaints about our “stale” squad but our activity has lacked a proper plan.

- Sanchez was bought to be the lynchpin of our defence by this point for sure. That hasn’t happened. The progress of Foyth has been even more stunted. Why did we sign a CB for 40m who can’t pass and then attempt to play out from the back? There’s no synergy between our transfer activity and tactics.

- We bought Aurier in somewhat of a panic following the Walker sale. Did we scout him? If so, surely his defensive inadequacies were evident?

- What was the strategy when signing Sessegnon? Was he bought as a long term replacement for Rose or to be used as a wide MF? It’s not clear to me why we bought him yet. We must have had a plan?

- Why did we spend so much money on 2 number 8’s when we were crying out for a DCM? Wanyama is done and Dier has regressed significantly. I understand Poch wanted to play the diamond but one of Ndombele / GLC plus a DCM was the right path and I think most people agreed on that at the time.

- Why didn’t we retain Llorente on a free? He’s not great at all, but seemed like a good egg in the dressing room and never let us down. In the absence of a second striker we should have picked him back up.

- What was the plan when we signed Sissoko? What was he bought for? He was initially deployed as a wide MF but that was the same summer Mane went for the same price. Why weren’t we after him instead? Did we just see he was available towards the end of the window and think “that’ll do”?

I guess the point is we have no clear strategy at all when it comes to transfer activity. For all Levy’s faults, he’s always struck me as someone who plans things meticulously, except he hasn’t in this regard.

We are the 6th biggest club in England, but I believe we can scale higher than that by buying savvy and being more astute in the market. Dortmund are, why can’t we?

We need direction and a plan. That starts with the appointment of a Director of Football for me.
I agree with everything you say except that Ndombele will ever play for us.

Lovely post. Big question is. Who is in charge?

Essentially we were too loyal to a squad that brought us to the brink of major trophies but never won them, and our bet failed. It ruined Pochettino’s final year in the league, it’s ruining Mourinho now. We need a small reboot to get this team back to challenging for the top 4 again.

Essentially we were too loyal to a squad that brought us to the brink of major trophies but never won them, and our bet failed. It ruined Pochettino’s final year in the league, it’s ruining Mourinho now. We need a small reboot to get this team back to challenging for the top 4 again.

We have many able players for the top level, 14-15 of them can hold their own in most squads. It's ensuring that we turn that number closer to 20 over the next window or two that's important. If we can get closer to 25 good uns in the next 12-18 months then great but we have a decent nucleus, we just need to be ruthless with who we want now.

I don’t think it’s any one issue, there are a few.

Under investment in the squad - it was clear from two years ago (at least) that some areas/players were needing to be refreshed. It really started with Dembele.

Not getting rid of certain players when they made it clear they didn’t want to be here. Rose being the big one as it felt like he wanted to leave for years and we should have got rid of Eriksen in the summer. We’ll never really know how much harm he’s cause since that interview.

The squad being defeatist and lacking interest. I remember sometime around January last year we weren’t far off top of the table and of course we made it to the CL final. It was a huge over achievement and it looked like it sapped the energy from everyone, particularly our manager. Remember his celebrations after Ajax?

Change in manager. I can’t think of two managers with such differing philosophies. Most of our players were ingrained in the Poch methodology, it was never going to be easy.

Injuries. I feel this must be almost number 1 but a definite number 2. Kane, Son, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lloris have all been out for large periods of time. These are some of our best players.I don’t think any team could cope without the players we’ve lost.

Players underachieving. The two I’m specifically pointing out are NDombele and Moura but could add more.

Stadium jitters. White Hart Lane was a fortress that teams didn’t want to play in. For some reason, away teams actually seem to enjoy playing in our new stadium like it’s a big occasion.

I can probably think of more tbh but this season will go down as a shambles. If we can get Top 5 this season, it will be a miracle and it will be because of JM. We just need to get through this season.

Really good post - easily the best on the subject I've read here. I posted on this theme a while back and just now, but with less eloquence - I tip my hat to you.

DoF in!!

Back
Top Bottom