WTF is going wrong

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the title suggests

• Under-invested mess of a squad

Votes: 100 49.8%
  • Over-the-hill mess of a manager

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 60 29.9%
  • I prefer to stick my head in the sand and pretend everythings sweet

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • We have the right board and the right manager, but teams lose games sometimes

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Liver metatastis frequency

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
It’s funny how people expected much more from this shallow squad without Son and Kane. I lost all my expectations when Sonny got injured and I’m glad I did

Losing Kane and Son at the same time was a killer.

Although our problems go much deeper than that, that was the Icing and cherry on the cake.

Our season visualised as a cake.

cake-disaster.jpg

Do you think 40 points is enough to stay up this year?
10 games left. We are 13 points off relegation. We've got a pretty rancid run of games. Burnley away, palace away, sheff UTd away. Home games UTd, arse and wham. Morale needs boosted desperately - I think we'll be safe but I'm genuinely concerned we're back on the trajectory of earlier in the season/most of last and could get dragged into ugly lower table shit.

I think yesterday was one of our best performances under Mourinho, in all honesty.

Its odd that by playing relatively poor, long ball stuff we can win games (Wolves away as an example) yet when playing well, we lose because its likely the starting eleven just isn't even good enough overall for that (with the absentees), especially defensively.

Yesterday, despite the result, gave me hope though. We'll see how it is against Norwich. Hopefully we work on something defensively, play a DM and stick Tanganga back at left back.

Why have we got yet another club bashing thread? Do not know why so many options when John clearly feels it is all Levy's fault.
It is more complex than that. Levy had the foresight to push ahead and make us financially closer to competing by building the new stadium. That was a good decision but had a cost. I basically wrote off the seasons we were going to play away from WHL but we did much better than expected. Not all of Levy's decisions are good and I agreed that he messed up with dithering in the proposed transfer of Grealish and moaned constantly that by leaving transfers so late he caused a bad start to the season including the Leicester season.
However he does not pick the players and has spent money in the last 12 months. Poch after many good seasons seemed to lose it and the decline has been over 12 months.
Like supporters of MU and Woolwich we have to accept the team is not good enough to compete for the title. Only 2 clubs can do that but instead of keep going on about problems we need to look at solutions. I am still on the fence as to whether Jose is the right Manager going forward. We need to do something about our scouting as recent acquisitions have not been good, the academy is not producing the goods and perhaps needs a change of leadership. Yes we need to spend money in the summer but it will never be enough and it is getting the right players rather than the most money. Look at Wolves players yesterday., not the most expensive.
Whatever people want Levy is not going away. He has too much at stake with the housing redevelopment and could not risk the club being owned by others who could object to his plans.
I hate it when we lose and do not think it is helpful to keep starting these types of threads.

If you have been watching Tottenham since Poch arrived then it's obvious what is going wrong. None of this is a great secret.

1. Key players have aged quickly after 5 years of intense and unrelenting football
2. The two world class players that used to run our midfield, Dembele and Eriksen, have left the club
3. Long-term injuries in all areas of the pitch
4. Sluggish and half-baked transfer business leaving key positions unaddressed
5. Losing the CL final was a hammer blow to the confidence of the team that they still haven't gotten over
6. Change of manager mid-season with a different idea of football

Time will sort out some of those things, the injuries and CL final hangover are not going to last forever. The holes in our squad need to be filled very carefully or we are in big trouble. We need a high-quality CDM and CB. The spine of our team is not strong enough in any aspect. Then we need a young and hungry CF, RB, LB and probably another attacking midfielder of at least Bergwijn-quality plus a new goalkeeper to put Gazzaniga back to 3rd choice.

Why have we got yet another club bashing thread? Do not know why so many options when John clearly feels it is all Levy's fault.
It is more complex than that. Levy had the foresight to push ahead and make us financially closer to competing by building the new stadium. That was a good decision but had a cost. I basically wrote off the seasons we were going to play away from WHL but we did much better than expected. Not all of Levy's decisions are good and I agreed that he messed up with dithering in the proposed transfer of Grealish and moaned constantly that by leaving transfers so late he caused a bad start to the season including the Leicester season.
However he does not pick the players and has spent money in the last 12 months. Poch after many good seasons seemed to lose it and the decline has been over 12 months.
Like supporters of MU and Woolwich we have to accept the team is not good enough to compete for the title. Only 2 clubs can do that but instead of keep going on about problems we need to look at solutions. I am still on the fence as to whether Jose is the right Manager going forward. We need to do something about our scouting as recent acquisitions have not been good, the academy is not producing the goods and perhaps needs a change of leadership. Yes we need to spend money in the summer but it will never be enough and it is getting the right players rather than the most money. Look at Wolves players yesterday., not the most expensive.
Whatever people want Levy is not going away. He has too much at stake with the housing redevelopment and could not risk the club being owned by others who could object to his plans.
I hate it when we lose and do not think it is helpful to keep starting these types of threads.
You don't sort out problems by avoiding them. Ostriches bury their heads!
Good managers/boards work together to build teams with good purchases.
So many bad buys, no DM, no backup CF. THESE are not rocket science. In the past we didn't pay enough wages but not now surely so we needed a manager that was capable of sorting this mess out. JM will earn his money and let's be honest who else would you want? Eddie Howe?

I think yesterday was one of our best performances under Mourinho, in all honesty.

Its odd that by playing relatively poor, long ball stuff we can win games (Wolves away as an example) yet when playing well, we lose because its likely the starting eleven just isn't even good enough overall for that (with the absentees), especially defensively.

Yesterday, despite the result, gave me hope though. We'll see how it is against Norwich. Hopefully we work on something defensively, play a DM and stick Tanganga back at left back.

You can win games by playing long ball. If you have a cb that can pass (alderweirald ) and a quick forward or 2.

Trying to play football through midfield when you have a midfield as shit as ours is lunacy.

Its not wonder we look better missing out the midfield completely.

You can win games by playing long ball. If you have a cb that can pass (alderweirald ) and a quick forward or 2.

Trying to play football through midfield when you have a midfield as shit as ours is lunacy.

Its not wonder we look better missing out the midfield completely.

But we looked better today than we did in the game at the Molineux where we played long ball and won..

I don't see anything wrong with direct play - but people don't really have the right to moan about our play anymore when we've just seen us lose by playing decent football.

Its on the personnel available.

But we looked better today than we did in the game at the Molineux where we played long ball and won..

I don't see anything wrong with direct play - but people don't really have the right to moan about our play anymore when we've just seen us lose by playing decent football.

Its on the personnel available.

Decent football?Are you mad? Its was shite, we barely had a shot and scored two lucky goals.

I have come to the conclusion that we just aren't very good. Have fully come to terms with it now.

You need to resign yourselves to the fact that we have gone backwards and we are now at best a Europa side, flirting somewhere around 6th-9th.

The players we have barring Son and Kane aren't good enough for the levels we want to be at or in the case of some of us think we are at.

Our defence is piss weak, mentally and technically. Go back 3-4 years we had a solid defence of Lloris, Walker, Jan, Toby and Rose. All in their prime. That was solid. Now three of those players are well past there best and the others have left. It wasn't some magic formula from Poch, it was just having very good players.

We had Dembele bossing games from midfield in front of them, now we have a huge vacuum, there is zero spine to our team. Sides just run right through our midfield and onto our defence so its inevitable that are we going to ship goals.

We are a poor team that relies on a couple of world class players to elevate us.

We need a complete overhaul of the defence, and a world class player to control the midfield.
and with our budget or lack of, that isn't going to happen.

The most disgusting thing about all of this is that we had our best team since the early 80's and we pissed it away without any trophies.

I'll go through the motions of watching for the rest of this season, but its better if you just go into it expecting the worst every game now, that way whenever we ship a goal due to a comedy of errors or blow another chance of gaining ground on the top 4 you won't be disappointed.

Yet completed 86% of our 617 passes.
Most of which were sideways or back. You can't sugar coat it. You said we played well - compared to the shit on the past 10 games, maybe but it wasnt good.
And accepting his constraints in personnel - how do you square off the pathetic defending and lack of organisation? When we have loads of defenders and midfielders and he had a full week to prepare.

Most of which were sideways or back. You can't sugar coat it. You said we played well - compared to the shit on the past 10 games, maybe but it wasnt good.
And accepting his constraints in personnel - how do you square off the pathetic defending and lack of organisation? When we have loads of defenders and midfielders and he had a full week to prepare.

I said we played better than we did when we beat Wolves. Which we did. If the process going forward is playing the way we did against Wolves (defensive issues aside) I'd be alot happier than playing the way we did at Molineux going forward.

Process > Results

Defensively we were a shambles. Not sure what was going on. No DM again. A three man defence who've never played with eachother before, though I liked the reasoning behind playing it, just obviously needs more work.

Though it's almost good that Jose come in mid way through because playing these different tactics, formations, players being used differently each week etc allows him to truly see who's up to it instead of just getting a summer to decide.

Its why I'm willing to give Mourinho that time to decide. Get a pre season under HIS team and hopefully get HIS players in the summer.

I have come to the conclusion that we just aren't very good. Have fully come to terms with it now.

You need to resign yourselves to the fact that we have gone backwards and we are now at best a Europa side, flirting somewhere around 6th-9th.

The players we have barring Son and Kane aren't good enough for the levels we want to be at or in the case of some of us think we are at.

Our defence is piss weak, mentally and technically. Go back 3-4 years we had a solid defence of Lloris, Walker, Jan, Toby and Rose. All in their prime. That was solid. Now three of those players are well past there best and the others have left. It wasn't some magic formula from Poch, it was just having very good players.

We had Dembele bossing games from midfield in front of them, now we have a huge vacuum, there is zero spine to our team. Sides just run right through our midfield and onto our defence so its inevitable that are we going to ship goals.

We are a poor team that relies on a couple of world class players to elevate us.

We need a complete overhaul of the defence, and a world class player to control the midfield.
and with our budget or lack of, that isn't going to happen.

The most disgusting thing about all of this is that we had our best team since the early 80's and we pissed it away without any trophies.

I'll go through the motions of watching for the rest of this season, but its better if you just go into it expecting the worst every game now, that way whenever we ship a goal due to a comedy of errors or blow another chance of gaining ground on the top 4 you won't be disappointed.
See I just don’t agree with this.

I still think our first XI is probably the 3rd best in the league and our squad has top 4 quality too. We just aren’t getting the most out of this set of players.

Back
Top Bottom