Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having Poch stay and signing a contract extension brings cohesiveness, solidarity and above all more confidence in retaining this very good squad of players.
Sure there is going to be ups and downs, this is Spurs.

But the future looks bright, it's gonna be Lillywhite

COYS

Yeah, they should be ashamed.

:walkercry:

To be fair, we were poor at the end of last season and the start of this campaign. There were postitive signs but no real evidence that it was all about to click. Quite a few of us were saying he should get up until Xmas but that's it...

Then something happened. Diers new role seems to have been the big factor as all of a sudden we were attacking with numbers without losing defensive solidly - Toby providing the pragmatic foil to Jan's ball playing style. Poch sorting out that dynamic has made a huge difference to the season so fair play to the man, he's the real deal.

Dier and Toby was huge, no doubt. For me the "something" that happened which means more than anything is else is the squad clearence. Paulinho, Kaboul, Capoue, Vlad, Benji, Ade and (I know some disagree) even Lennon very much needed to go. Getting them out - fairly - quietly has been the basis for the squad harmony which again is the basis for everything else.

poch_signs.0.jpg

:pochlol::pochlol::pochlol:

Sheer class from the best manager in the league.

And the Sky bastards trying to get him to suck up to Leicester and condemn his own team....absolutely shameful

I love the man but he has to address two things:

Composure: The last two matches have highlighted a frailty in that we allowed ourselves to get riled when teams went nasty on us. Last night looked like we wanted players sent off (Debmbele and Walker were both, as senior players, fortunate to stay on the pitch in the first half alone), whereas in these situations the players, whether it being taking themselves aside and taking a moment, or Pochettino doing so, have to realise that the moment can't get in the way of the long term.

Maintaining leads: This is, mostly, a direct consequence of the above. If the players can retain focus, not allow the opposition to dominate the direction of the match, not necessarily tactically but emotionally, then we'd have at least four more points this past week alone.

There will always be a season where a side who wins the league drops points but not nearly as many as we have, and from commanding positions, too.

These are two issues that are resolvable....and they need to start from Sunday against Southampton, because if we finish behind Woolwich then despite what we hoped or expected in August, it will be hugely deflating.

Composure: The last two matches have highlighted a frailty in that we allowed ourselves to get riled when teams went nasty on us. Last night looked like we wanted players sent off (Debmbele and Walker were both, as senior players, fortunate to stay on the pitch in the first half alone), whereas in these situations the players, whether it being taking themselves aside and taking a moment, or Pochettino doing so, have to realise that the moment can't get in the way of the long term.

Maintaining leads: This is, mostly, a direct consequence of the above. If the players can retain focus, not allow the opposition to dominate the direction of the match, not necessarily tactically but emotionally, then we'd have at least four more points this past week alone.

There will always be a season where a side who wins the league drops points but not nearly as many as we have, and from commanding positions, too.

These are two issues that are resolvable....and they need to start from Sunday against Southampton, because if we finish behind Woolwich then despite what we hoped or expected in August, it will be hugely deflating.
We're early in to his tenure, and I think a lot of these things can be chalked down to our squad simply being very young. I'm so happy and proud of our season, how we've progressed and the passion from the players the future is very bright

We're early in to his tenure, and I think a lot of these things can be chalked down to our squad simply being very young. I'm so happy and proud of our season, how we've progressed and the passion from the players the future is very bright

Unquestionably. However Dembele and Walker are experienced enough - that was what particularly disappointed me.

If you turn up for work into a vile cauldron of hate, feeling like the whole country is willing you to lose, then it's not suprising that you crack. They are a young team who have been a credit to us. Our manager is a class act and i love the way he backs the players in public and keeps upsets in house. Onwards and upwards we go.

I'll agree with all that.
I reckon on another day Dier would have walked to.
I love the fact we stand up for ourselves these days, but we need to learn to keep our heads.

I'll agree with all that.
I reckon on another day Dier would have walked to.
I love the fact we stand up for ourselves these days, but we need to learn to keep our heads.
Yes agree with that, love it that we now play hard, just have to inject the discipline to go with it. No doubt Poch has that on his to do list!

Back
Top Bottom