Swansea at Wembley - 16 Sep, 17:30KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We played a game 3 days before and including yesterday have 5 in 14 days?
Imo Davies must have had a knock.

Sure he has and maybe he would be risked only if we had a injury to trippier but I think 5-10mins wouldn't have hurt ones Fernando came on and we needed decent crosses. Dunno. Maybe poch knows best but we needed to take a risk at some point when we could see the game going away from us.

Fans left WHL early too.
It takes 10 minutes to get out of the stadium at Wembley!
Wembley is not a great stadium. I came to that conclusion a while back.
They had the chance to make it something special.
In my opinion the lower tier is too low a rake.its lower than the Emirates
The old Wembley was a shit hole, but I think they missed a chance to make it a really intimidating ground with a great atmosphere.

Fans leaving WHL early left a full house though, so a 90,000 stadium with 60,000 in it already feels a bit shite......so 10,000 making for the exits on 80 minutes defeats the whole point.
We voted for 90,000 then dont turn up and leave early because there's too many people even though its only 2/3rds full.

Wembley is a terrible ground and has been since the day it was built.

I get that people think its big time and snazzy but does it actually do that? At the end of the day, its shit, and people are already starting to hate it and have regrets after just two PL games there.

Maybe it's the best option for some, but not for others.

Maybe some people would sacrifice proximity and 30,000 empty seats for a real football ground.

But each to their own. Those that prefer Wembley must be having a nice experience there so for lots of Spurs fans it's the best venue and I'm glad they are happy.

For some others it's not a good experience at all though but tough shit I guess, nothing to do about it
What was the alternative? Don't say Stadium:MK because it's not. Aside from the factors I mentioned above, it's a soulless place that sits next to an Asda dominated retail park in the middle of nowhere. There aren't even any pubs next door. So where would we have gone?

It's also no surprise that you're also being a disingenuous again. Preferring Wembley and acknowledging that it is the best option doesn't mean the people saying so think it is just as good as WHL and are having the time of their lives. Find me one person who has said it is or stop lying.

I'll wait for you to tell me the alternative.

The only other choice we had then Wembley was what?
Share with Woolwich, West Ham or Chelsea?
No other option. Everywhere else too small/far.
Also it also helps with the financial side. The CL ties their last year were also to show the lenders we can fill out a 60k stadium.
Wembley also gives us the opportunity to sell more ST's .
Especially with the guarantee of getting first dibs on one for NWHL.
It makes financial sense and is the most fan friendly one for travel
If we have to stay there any longer then I can see it becoming a real problem.
I think it would kill us.
The best thing about our new build is the location. There's nothing like walking down that high road and seeing the stadium come into view.
The familiarity for fans and players.
It's also looks far more fan friendly than any new built stadium, ie, Woolwich, City, Spam and Wembley.
Much closer to the pitch, steeper raking despite the limit on space.

Fans left WHL early too.
It takes 10 minutes to get out of the stadium at Wembley!
Wembley is not a great stadium. I came to that conclusion a while back.
They had the chance to make it something special.
In my opinion the lower tier is too low a rake.its lower than the Emirates.
The old Wembley was a shit hole, but I think they missed a chance to make it a really intimidating ground with a great atmosphere.
I think the problem is that they designed it with other sports and concerts in mind. Football should've been the priority.

The only other choice we had then Wembley was what?
Share with Woolwich, West Ham or Chelsea?
No other option. Everywhere else too small/far.
Also it also helps with the financial side. The CL ties their last year were also to show the lenders we can fill out a 60k stadium.
Wembley also gives us the opportunity to sell more ST's .
Especially with the guarantee of getting first dibs on one for NWHL.
It makes financial sense and is the most fan friendly one for travel
If we have to stay there any longer then I can see it becoming a real problem.
I think it would kill us.
The best thing about our new build is the location. There's nothing like walking down that high road and seeing the stadium come into view.
The familiarity for fans and players.
It's also looks far more fan friendly than any new built stadium, ie, Woolwich, City, Spam and Wembley.
Much closer to the pitch, steeper raking despite the limit on space.

I dont know what the viable options were.....you say everything else was too small, but WHL was 36,000.

We didnt have to have 90,000 or even 60 this season. We could have played the CL games there perhaps and the PL games somewhere else. As far as I know there was only MK considered which takes an hour from North London. Some people travel longer than that to WHL from within London, so dont see why its too far personally.

I think there is a snobbery about using MK. People think its small time.
Personally Id rather a smaller ground that feels more like WHL than a huge, half empty ground where no one sings. Looks extremely plastic so far.

Hopefully it improves as the team starts playing better

Fans leaving WHL early left a full house though, so a 90,000 stadium with 60,000 in it already feels a bit shite......so 10,000 making for the exits on 80 minutes defeats the whole point.
We voted for 90,000 then dont turn up and leave early because there's too many people even though its only 2/3rds full.

Wembley is a terrible ground and has been since the day it was built.

I get that people think its big time and snazzy but does it actually do that? At the end of the day, its shit, and people are already starting to hate it and have regrets after just two PL games there.
I agree with you. I don't like it. Haven't since the first time I went there.
I never leave early personally. Yet it's always been done. People used to do it in the 70's and probably before that too.
a lot of peoplehave bought STs becuase they want one next year. They had no intention of going to all the games
They will then sell them on to cover their cost.
Your only had to look at Spurs tickets to see the amount of Dortmund tickets being offered to get an idea it wasn't going to be well attended, same for Swansea. Some 6 at a time.
The people who buy them are sitting in a seat that is already taken. So instead of having an extra fans....

I dont know what the viable options were.....you say everything else was too small, but WHL was 36,000.

We didnt have to have 90,000 or even 60 this season. We could have played the CL games there perhaps and the PL games somewhere else. As far as I know there was only MK considered which takes an hour from North London. Some people travel longer than that to WHL from within London, so dont see why its too far personally.

I think there is a snobbery about using MK. People think its small time.
Personally Id rather a smaller ground that feels more like WHL than a huge, half empty ground where no one sings. Looks extremely plastic so far.

Hopefully it improves as the team starts playing better
So really you don't have any other suggestion but MK. So late me get this straight, you, as someone who doesn't intend to go to one game this season, and therefore will do fuck all to contribute to the atmosphere, are telling me and others as season ticket holders that we should schlep up to Milton Keynes to get behind the team to improve the atmosphere for you? Fuck me, what a wanky attitude.

Milton Keynes is more costly to get to. Although I live in London, many are in the suburbs. They have to pay to get in London and then would have to pay to get another train from London. At least with Wembley they only have to get a travelcard. Then there's the bus or a half an hour walk when you get to Milton Keynes. Then there are virtually no drinking places on top of the ground the game to make our own before kick off. Then there is the nightmare of getting back after an evening game. Of course, it doesn't matter if I don't get home at a decent hour and get to work the next day. You'll just have your feet up in front of the TV.

I'd understand it if you had been to Wembley this season and you had also visited Stadium:MK before. But you're gobbing off about atmosphere when you can't even be bothered to show up and give your support, instead expecting others to do it for you. That's out of order.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I don't like it. Haven't since the first time I went there.
I never leave early personally. Yet it's always been done. People used to do it in the 70's and probably before that too.
a lot of peoplehave bought STs becuase they want one next year. They had no intention of going to all the games
They will then sell them on to cover their cost.
Your only had to look at Spurs tickets to see the amount of Dortmund tickets being offered to get an idea it wasn't going to be well attended, same for Swansea. Some 6 at a time.
The people who buy them are sitting in a seat that is already taken. So instead of having an extra fans....
Yes and no. It's still more fans than would be at the likes of Stadium MK. That means significantly more income. Swansea was double the attendance of a game at the Lane. With the new ground at over 60K capacity there will be empty seats there as well.

Sammy seems to think that there was a perfect alternative one year home that would have no drawbacks. It's nonsense.

Last edited:
Wrong wing back? Player a bit out of sorts?

Fuck that we are spurs fans, get a draw and we want the fucking stadium substituted!!!

:dawsonmean:

I'd love to see Sissoko come good but I don't think he's got the brains for it. Honestly I think it would be great to see but a lot of it's just wishful thinking. He's too one dimensional as a player and you can read easily what he's going to do. It's a shame as I think there's a place for him on a football pitch, o just can't figure out where.

Sanchez looks a little panicked but he's 21 and has good company to learn off of in Toby and Jan so it's all good. In all honesty our goal should be to win the league but the reality is we should be getting 3rd or 4th. I'd take that in our year away from N17. 3rd, keep the good players in the squad together and make sure we get the two to three players required for the next phase in our build. Still, we've made remarkable progress and it shouldn't be forgotten

So really you don't have any other suggestion but MK. So late me get this straight, you, as someone who doesn't intend to go to one game this season, and therefore will do fuck all to contribute to the atmosphere, are telling me and others as season ticket holders that we should schlep up to Milton Keynes to get behind the team to improve the atmosphere for you? Fuck me, what a wanky attitude.

Milton Keynes is more costly to get to. Although I live in London, many are in the suburbs. They have to pay to get in London and then would have to pay to get another train from London. At least with Wembley they only have to get a travelcard. Then there's the bus or a half an hour walk when you get to Milton Keynes. Then there are virtually no drinking places on top of the ground the game to make our own before kick off. Then there is the nightmare of getting back after an evening game. Of course, it doesn't matter if I don't get home at a decent hour and get to work the next day. You'll just have your feet up in front of the TV.

I'd understand it if you had been to Wembley this season and you had also visited Stadium:MK before. But you're gobbing off about atmosphere when you can't even be bothered to show up and give your support, instead expecting others to do it for you. That's out of order.
THIS
Wembley is a shit football ground and the atmosphere as well as getting in and out the ground is shambolic, but i'll take that over travelling to fucking milton keynes to go to a equally as shit ground just so it looks like theres a few less spare seats on some cunts american stream.

I'd love to see Sissoko come good but I don't think he's got the brains for it. Honestly I think it would be great to see but a lot of it's just wishful thinking. He's too one dimensional as a player and you can read easily what he's going to do. It's a shame as I think there's a place for him on a football pitch, o just can't figure out where.

Sanchez looks a little panicked but he's 21 and has good company to learn off of in Toby and Jan so it's all good. In all honesty our goal should be to win the league but the reality is we should be getting 3rd or 4th. I'd take that in our year away from N17. 3rd, keep the good players in the squad together and make sure we get the two to three players required for the next phase in our build. Still, we've made remarkable progress and it shouldn't be forgotten
If we get top four I reckon it with be fourth spot. I'd not getting suicidal though if we finish 5th, providing we have a half decent cup run.

Had a couple lads behind me yesterday who slated everything we did for the whole 90. Even when everyone was clapping and getting behind the team, they just whinged and complained.

Then they decided to rant for 10 mins about how the atmosphere is shit and they miss white hart lane. The irony of it was amazing.

Just take a long hard look at yourselves and stay at home next time lads. I can accept bad games and the atmosphere being a little shit but I hate it when people see to enjoy criticising rather than getting behind the team

THIS
Wembley is a shit football ground and the atmosphere as well as getting in and out the ground is shambolic, but i'll take that over travelling to fucking milton keynes to go to a equally as shit ground just so it looks like theres a few less spare seats on some cunts american stream.

Its funny that you think MK is too far but you agree with a post claiming I cant be bothered to support the team because I live in another country.

Well life dictates and taking time off work to book flights and go home and watch football only works for me a couple times a year...but thats "not being bothered"...

Laughable seeing as if you lived abroad I guess you'd never go....on the basis that 1 hour on a train is way out of your league

Last edited:
Had a couple lads behind me yesterday who slated everything we did for the whole 90. Even when everyone was clapping and getting behind the team, they just whinged and complained.

Then they decided to rant for 10 mins about how the atmosphere is shit and they miss white hart lane. The irony of it was amazing.

Just take a long hard look at yourselves and stay at home next time lads. I can accept bad games and the atmosphere being a little shit but I hate it when people see to enjoy criticising rather than getting behind the team
You got those people in the Lane as well and have done for years. They're a cancer, but unique to Wembley they are not.

Its funny that you think MK is too far but you agree with a post claiming I cant be bothered to support the team because I live in another country.

Well life dictates and taking time off work to book flights and go and watch football only works for me a couple times a year...but thats "not being bothered"...

Laughable seeing as if you lived abroad I guess you'd never go....on the basis that 1 hour on a train is way out of your league
When I asked you how many times you went you said couple of times a year and then said you wouldn't go to Wembley AT ALL. Your reasoning was entirely consistent with all the ranting you have been doing about Wembley from the start of the season. You have refused to go without even trying it.

I don't begrudge you living abroad and not being about to go to many games. What I do begrudge is you refusing to flat out to go to Wembley and then moaning about the lack of atmosphere - blaming those of us that are there basically. I begrudge you telling me, who has spent a considerable amount of money and will be at most games to support my team, how and where I should be going and how much I should me paying on top of what I already am, all while you refuse to even pay for one single game this year and a cheap flight (and don't pretend it's a nightmare schelp, a Danish friend of mine does it for one out of three games). I begrudge you telling me, who has actually been to Stadium:MK before (albeit not for a game), that it is an easy journey. It's bloody well not.

In other words, have some damn humility and let those who actually make the journey and pay their money decide what is the best temporary home, because we're the ones who have to get to and from it. We're the ones who have to pay for it and we're the ones, good or bad, on whose shoulders the atmosphere lies. There is no miracle alternative to WHL. Wherever we go isn't not going to be the same.

Back
Top Bottom