Unstoppable force (Watford) vs Immovable object (Spurs) Sunday 2 September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At the end of the day, we played with three center backs, and not one of them got near a ball crossed from a dead ball situation on two occasions. Not one of the fuckers.

Three at the back is plain awful.

Secondly, we just are not creating enough chances per game, and irrespective of Son returning we are at out best in a 4-2-3-1 with Eriksen playing higher up the pitch. Whether Poch picks Dele and Moura next to him, or Son i don't care but we are more potent in that lineup.

Finally for fuck's sake play Dier, and or Wanyama and Winks in midfield. We need better mobility.

Rant over, and bring those Scouse cunts on.

At the end of the day, we played with three center backs, and not one of them got near a ball crossed from a dead ball situation on two occasions. Not one of the fuckers.

Three at the back is plain awful.

Secondly, we just are not creating enough chances per game, and irrespective of Son returning we are at out best in a 4-2-3-1 with Eriksen playing higher up the pitch. Whether Poch picks Dele and Moura next to him, or Son i don't care but we are more potent in that lineup.

Finally for fuck's sake play Dier, and or Wanyama and Winks in midfield. We need better mobility.

Rant over, and bring those Scouse cunts on.

3 at the back is fine in certain games but one of those games ain't Watford. I'm not sure if Dier was carrying a knock etc but seeing a change in formation was rather baffling to see. When I saw the lineup and a lack of a DM, I knew a goal wouldn't be enough to get us over the line. I personally blame our attack for the loss, if they had created more in the first 70 minutes Watford would never have found a way back into the game. We simply need to do far more when seeing so much of the ball as if you don't, teams always find a way back in

3 crosses and 1 deflected shot really.

But still, it's pretty worrying.

But that deflected shot did come from yet another cross. A lot of teams rely heavily on crosses to score so it's a shame our defensive play has conceded so many so little on. The worst thing is how we led in each game we conceded in when in theory we should be creating more with teams no longer able to drop deep against us. To me it feels like the players were happy to break down a stern defence and got caught taking it down a gear. Even in the Man U game shortly before we scored the 2nd we also set conceded due to a bit of defensive sloppiness

But that deflected shot did come from yet another cross. A lot of teams rely heavily on crosses to score so it's a shame our defensive play has conceded so many so little on. The worst thing is how we led in each game we conceded in when in theory we should be creating more with teams no longer able to drop deep against us. To me it feels like the players were happy to break down a stern defence and got caught taking it down a gear. Even in the Man U game shortly before we scored the 2nd we also set conceded due to a bit of defensive sloppiness

I can understand conceding from crosses to be honest - but conceding from TWO set pieces and in the same game is inexcusable.

I can understand conceding from crosses to be honest - but conceding from TWO set pieces and in the same game is inexcusable.

Crosses should be easier to defend than intricate passing and movement through the middle, which can cause all sorts of issues for defenders. The goals conceded yesterday were a bitter pill to swallow but what bothers me most is the form of Eriksen at the moment. He's so important when it comes to unlocking teams. I've just read that he's been released from the Denmark squad so he gets another 2 weeks at Spurs now. It's important he gets that spring in his step and hopefully with Son coming back, his feel good factor will give the boys a lift

I think as fans we need to let go of that mindset, the mindset of a 4th placed team, there are no positives when you lose a game in this manner. To contend for the title you cannot accept results like that. We have never lost to Watford in the PL before and at 1-0 with 20 minutes remaining we shouldn't have lost yesterday. 20 minutes of hard work and we would have 12 points instead of 9.

It was 3 points thrown away and throwing away points is not something contenders do. We have to stop thinking of ourselves as plucky overachievers and start behaving like a big team.
A beautiful post. Could not have worded it any better myself.
Especially the final paragraph.
We need to stop thinking of ourselves as plucky overachievers and start behaving like a big team.
Post of the Thread.

tenor.gif

A beautiful post. Could not have worded it any better myself.
Especially the final paragraph.
We need to stop thinking of ourselves as plucky overachievers and start behaving like a big team.
Post of the Thread.

tenor.gif

I like you as a poster John but with the money spent and the previous infrausture had we were over achieving. Surely building the 2nd biggest stadium in the country whilst retaining all of your stars is behaving like a big team.

The loss is hugely disappointing and StripiestPilot StripiestPilot is right, to throw away a match with 20 minutes left is frustrating and something we shouldn't be doing but it's something that happens. When Chelsea won the league the season before last they had two losses and a draw away to Swansea in their opening 6 matches, it happens. It was a big loss, one that was completely avoidable but our attack looks out of sync compared to its usual flow and our boys looked like they lacked genuine tenacity which concerned me the most. We are starting to act like a big club, we just can't see that yet because of the delays to the stadium.

As supporters we simply need to give the club time and focus on supporting them each match to our fullest until they limp over the line back to N17 instead of calling them or the fans expectations out. It's a difficult start to a season when you consider everything surrounding the club & the freshness to the players and people need to remember this instead of looking at things face value.

We have clearly overachieved when you look at the last 50 years of league finishes and to say that we aren't behaving like a big team because of a sloppy 20 minutes of football don't wash with me pal. We have retained our place in the top 3 for three years running and once we are in the new stadium the next phase is to stay at that level whilst adjusting to the new home and balancing the books. We all want success but with a stadium build as big as this we need to remain realistic that top 4 for the next few seasons is still a great achievement. A few players need to kick on and quickly but to say or backup someone saying some fans need to be more demanding or the club need a shift in mentality when we are making some of the biggest steps in recent years whilst trying to balance costs of growing away from the pitch grates a bit. I see your point and the posters point you were replying to but staying steady until we are settled back at home and financially is something in itself for the next step we want to be taking afterwards, we need to stay somewhat realistic with the challenges that are ahead

The implied hysterics are due to the lengths you are going to bash what is a damn good squad.

I shan't dignify your tin-hat ism's about hidden meanings in Poch's comments; especially when you refuse to even take on board statements categorically made directly to you in written form.

Define "deluded"... Afterall, you're the one in denial of the factors I'm citing whilst making your false claims about other team's superior depth.

Liverpool: Shaquiri/Sturridge >>> You think Mane & Firmino are sweating that any more than Dele/Eriksen?
Chavs: Giroud/Pedro >>> Hazard bricking it over his starting spot no doubt... :roll:
Spurs: Lamela/Son (or Lucas should you prefer).

Bore off.

You argue we have no depth or competition for places (and cunted off bulk of the squad in your haste). However, I repeat, you're seeing evidence of our depth right now; otherwise we'd be missing Sonny (and Lamela) like hell of a lot more whilst away and be suffering a far bumpier start to the season as a result.

Peel all the hyperbole away and you're simply bemoaning the fact we haven't thrown £60-70m a piece on our at our bench for like for like players. We aren't City. We don't get to spend mega-bucks on our reserves (nor does anyone from outside of Manchester!), nor can we afford the wages required to pacify that level of talent in such scenarios of limited game-time.

All getting rather tedious this! There is no depth because the same XI (barring the WBs) is picked for every game. Should we go on picking Eriksen regardless of how he plays?
You think our squad is sufficient and there is competition for places - I don't.
Let's wait and see?
All we need are some suspensions or injuries combined with loss of form. The squad as it is can't handle it because there is insufficient depth.
Our saviours are not Lamela or Winks as they themselves seem rather injury prone. We may not see Son for another month.

PS I forgot about Shaquiri as well - thank you.
Giroud/Pedro + Fabregas + Barkley + Drinkwater + Loftus Cheek etc.
Kane/ Eriksen injured and we have who? Lamela (inj), Winks (returning), Llorente (no thanks), Sissoko (is he still here)?

Deluded - Yes. You're persuading yourself that there isn't a problem, when there is.

Thus proving the transparency and shallowness of John Thomas's commentary.
Nice one Guido

I think neither us or United can crow.

We can and will lose games. An inevitability.

But losing a game when ahead when there is so much talk of the squad being tight, being used to each other etc, is not the mental fortitude that talks of progress. Not one that says collectively take ut from us because we won't give it to you. And not one that inpires inner belief or fear in your opponents.

It is such fine margins but so big in the grand scheme of things.

Sigh...the good old get a girlfriend trope...you tired wanker..
LMAO....so I was right then obviously...just grow up a bit mate and I'm sure you will find one, eventually ...or you could just stop acting like a child and just disagree with someone rather than getting all agro..just a though mate, we are all spurs together COYS

We’ve had issues with set plays for ages whether it be corners or free kicks into the box we have/are vulnerable there.

Have we?

I seem to remember being very relaxed over the last few seasons from set peices. Bar West Brom at the back end of last season, I honestly don't remember many other goals conceded from set pieces last season alone.

Back
Top Bottom