Unstoppable force (Watford) vs Immovable object (Spurs) Sunday 2 September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have we?

I seem to remember being very relaxed over the last few seasons from set peices. Bar West Brom at the back end of last season, I honestly don't remember many other goals conceded from set pieces last season alone.
Chelsea at home last season was one not a free kick? West Ham away were there goals not in and around our box with set plays? Could be wrong

1 min in.

Out of all the teams placed 7th to 17th we lost once. We had the best record against the middle clubs.

We lost only once, but we also drew five times. City drew four times and didn't lose any. Dipperpool drew five and also didn't lose any.

I think when he says "best of the rest" he means that we were at OUR best against that group of teams and not that we were the best in the league against them, otherwise he'd be wrong.

Chelsea at home last season was one not a free kick? West Ham away were there goals not in and around our box with set plays? Could be wrong

How can you defend a direct free kick?

Hernandez goal for West Ham was indeed from a corner.

How can you defend a direct free kick?

Hernandez goal for West Ham was indeed from a corner.
You can’t other than avoid giving them away! On the other subject we have been ropey at set pieces personally I think we are vulnerable but if your relaxed when we concede free kicks or corners fair enough.

I like you as a poster John but with the money spent and the previous infrausture had we were over achieving. Surely building the 2nd biggest stadium in the country whilst retaining all of your stars is behaving like a big team.

The loss is hugely disappointing and StripiestPilot StripiestPilot is right, to throw away a match with 20 minutes left is frustrating and something we shouldn't be doing but it's something that happens. When Chelsea won the league the season before last they had two losses and a draw away to Swansea in their opening 6 matches, it happens. It was a big loss, one that was completely avoidable but our attack looks out of sync compared to its usual flow and our boys looked like they lacked genuine tenacity which concerned me the most. We are starting to act like a big club, we just can't see that yet because of the delays to the stadium.

As supporters we simply need to give the club time and focus on supporting them each match to our fullest until they limp over the line back to N17 instead of calling them or the fans expectations out. It's a difficult start to a season when you consider everything surrounding the club & the freshness to the players and people need to remember this instead of looking at things face value.

We have clearly overachieved when you look at the last 50 years of league finishes and to say that we aren't behaving like a big team because of a sloppy 20 minutes of football don't wash with me pal. We have retained our place in the top 3 for three years running and once we are in the new stadium the next phase is to stay at that level whilst adjusting to the new home and balancing the books. We all want success but with a stadium build as big as this we need to remain realistic that top 4 for the next few seasons is still a great achievement. A few players need to kick on and quickly but to say or backup someone saying some fans need to be more demanding or the club need a shift in mentality when we are making some of the biggest steps in recent years whilst trying to balance costs of growing away from the pitch grates a bit. I see your point and the posters point you were replying to but staying steady until we are settled back at home and financially is something in itself for the next step we want to be taking afterwards, we need to stay somewhat realistic with the challenges that are ahead
Cheers mate.
The point I and the new poster was making was that we should be angry at results like yesterday and it's right that we should be boiling over the way we fell apart.
Look at how many post match comments there were with people wining at the melters and words like its only one game. Onwards and upwards and other yellow bellied, soft centred apologies.
Fans of other top 6 clubs would be fuming at such a shite performance and result. So should we.
How, as a club, can we ever expect to become winners when even our own supporters seem so willing to accept such dross as we saw yesterday as just one of those games. We are not the little over acheiving club some of our own fans want us to be. We don't spend much on transfers because we choose not to. Not because we cant. And we should not be throwing games away againat Watford

Last edited:
Cheers mate.
The point I and the new poster was making was that we should be angry at results like yesterday and it's right that we should be boiling over the way we fell apart.
Look at how many post match comments there were with people wining at the melters and words like its only one game. Onwards and upwards and other yellow bellied, soft centred apologies.
Fans of other top 6 clubs would be fuming at such a shite performance and result. So should we.
How, as a club, can we ever expect to become winners when even our own supporters seem so willing to accept such dross as we saw yesterday as just one of those games. We are not the little club some of our own fans want us to be. And we should not be throwing games away againat Watford

Agreed it was extremely bitter to see a game clearly in our own hands get flipped because we weren't gutsy enough in defense or ruthless or artful enough in attack but everyone in the top 6 bar Man City have lost there at least once in the past 3 seasons and it ain't the easiest of places to go. Granted I was fuming that it happened but set pieces can do you and some things i.e. Crosses etc just didn't seem to go our way. We definitely need to strive for excellence, we aren't that sleepy little pretty football team that people should see as pushovers anymore and yesterday for me is probably the most disappointing result in a league game in the last 2-3 years in my opinion but some when they say it was once of those days are saying so to stay positive and to keep the positive energy flowing.

The long and short of it is all of us expected a result, I expected a win & for the team to not achieve this is a real shit blow. I had my gooner mate mocking me for the first time in 3 years because of it (the cheek of it after keeping my lip buttoned for a few seasons now) which shows how much of a dent it was and how it's let others smell blood. What's done is done, even the great teams in the past have had poor results & off days yet still go onto win something so I don't want to get drastic about my reflection of the game just yet. The boys simply need to make amends over the next 4-5 League games and they need to do what they need to get into a forward groove, keep up pace with the others and wait for them to have their blip. How we react to this is more important than how we dissect the performance & result in the aftermath of one of the more physical games we will play this season. It's done, the boys need to move on

Cheers mate.
How, as a club, can we ever expect to become winners when even our own supporters seem so willing to accept such dross as we saw yesterday as just one of those games. We are not the little over acheiving club some of our own fans want us to be. We don't spend much on transfers because we choose not to. Not because we cant. And we should not be throwing games away againat Watford
Proper supporters...................

You can’t other than avoid giving them away! On the other subject we have been ropey at set pieces personally I think we are vulnerable but if your relaxed when we concede free kicks or corners fair enough.

We've conceded 7 goals from set pieces in our last 42 games, which is since the beginning of last season.

In comparison:

Man Utd have conceded 10 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games. (2 this season)
Liverpool have conceded 8 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games.
Chelsea have conceded 7 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games.
Woolwich have conceded 7 goals from set-peices in their last 42 games (1 this season)
Man City have conceded 6 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games. (2 this season)

In all honesty, I can't say I've ever been worried when a corner or free kick is in a dangerous area. Whereas pre-Poch, I'd always worry. Especially late in games against the poorer clubs.

Obviously it'll get blown out of proportion because it happened twice in one game - but I'm willing to bet we probably won't concede from a set piece again in quite a while.I think the worrying stat, like someone mentioned, is that every goal we've conceded has come from a header.

Last edited:
We've conceded 7 goals from set pieces in our last 42 games, which is since the beginning of last season.

In comparison:

Man Utd have conceded 10 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games. (2 this season)
Liverpool have conceded 8 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games.
Chelsea have conceded 7 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games.
Woolwich have conceded 7 goals from set-peices in their last 42 games (1 this season)
Man City have conceded 6 goals from set pieces in their last 42 games. (2 this season)

In all honesty, I can't say I've ever been worried when a corner or free kick is in a dangerous area. Whereas pre-Poch, I'd always worry. Especially late in games against the poorer clubs.

Obviously it'll get blown out of proportion because it happened twice in one game - but I'm willing to bet we probably won't concede from a set piece again in quite a while.I think the worrying stat, like someone mentioned, is that every goal we've conceded has come from a header.
I’ll commend your research sir....:thumbup:

Considering we had 3 tall CBs on to defend headers, that is pretty shit.

The second from a corner scored by a player who doesn't get many I can kind of stomach as Dembele seemed to be marking him but look at how many of our boys gave Deeney space for the first. He has a completely free jump at it with too many of our boys a yard or two away. You can't leave someone like Deeney in that much space it's appalling defending. A complete switch off that turned the game. Got to be sharper and more boisterous than that Spurs, it simply isn't good enough and is completely avoidable

I think as fans we need to let go of that mindset, the mindset of a 4th placed team, there are no positives when you lose a game in this manner. To contend for the title you cannot accept results like that. We have never lost to Watford in the PL before and at 1-0 with 20 minutes remaining we shouldn't have lost yesterday. 20 minutes of hard work and we would have 12 points instead of 9.

It was 3 points thrown away and throwing away points is not something contenders do. We have to stop thinking of ourselves as plucky overachievers and start behaving like a big team.
You're right... I don't accept it... I want the game replayed!

There is absolutely nothing I can do about the result now... same as there was very little I could do DURING the game to affect the outcome, but it is what it is.

The law of averages would tell you they had to beat us at SOME point! Hell, if WE can finally beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, then I can believe ANYTHING can happen in football.

Other teams WILL drop points... we just have to make sure we're in a position to take advantage when they do.

Sunday was annoying as fuck ... ESPECIALLY after the highs of last Monday... AND how other results this weekend went against us... (am I right in thinking all of the other 5 'BIG clubs' won?

But we need to let it go... hopefully learn from it, and move on.

It FEELS like last season's Burnley (h) result, and similar unexplainable consecutive losses against W.B.A in the seasons before... except Watford are by FAR superior to either of those two.
We lost to a very well organised, decent (albeit 'smaller') team... not relegation fodder!

Cheers mate.
But we were Stoke's rivals not long ago, according to you.

You were predicting us 10th-14th pining for Saido Berahino.

So how can we not be overachieving? By your own logic.

I saw most of the first half,albeit from my phone, and was able to listen to the 2nd half and not see it.

Seemed to me that nearly every time the cameras cut to Poch in the first half he looked as frustrated as I felt watching it. I haven't had time to go back and watch his post match press conference, but the quotes I have seen seem to be spot on about needing to win the games you are expected to win, especially after a big win like we had last week at OT.

Back
Top Bottom