Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not that kind of energy I'm after. The key is our desire to win the ball back, and preferably as high up the field as possible. Today we started in a different setup and it looked just like every other game we've played. It's just down to the players desire and will...easy as that
You can have all the desire and will in our 352/343 you want.

Ferociously winning the ball back to pass it from side...to side...to side...to side...as the oppo sit in a block in front of you with your forward players doing their usual, "lemme just stand here and wait for the ball" routine.

Also, the shape that has historically encouraged that drive you wish for is 4231.

The shape that brought out a much better game from us in the second half.

Will without tactics is wishful.

Today: Lucky to get a point. VAR (as pathetic as it undoubtedly is) smiled on us.

Liverpool could get ugly... Even if we ship a few goals, we don't look like creating enough to take advantage of their drop in defensive form to force even a draw. We ain't keeping no clean sheet that's for damn sure. :(

£60m+ for N'Dombele?
World class back up for Kane?

+ 40m Sanchez (+ Foyth)
+ Lo'Celso (+ Skipp starved of minutes)... Things were indeed tough in that position last year but we rode that storm and went hard to rectify it this summer.
+ Jansen & Llorente staved of minutes. Parrot not even getting a sniff of the bench.
+ We had 3 RBs last year having spent 24m on Aurier the season before. Poch decided to ditch Trippier and keep the other two.

...Indeed, players not panning out for one reason or another doesn't = "lack of investment".

Laughably, most of the poorest performing players of late are the one's that, for those whom spending is the answer to all ills were screaming "pay the man" about.... (Rose, Toby, Eriksen, Jan - 3 of which we couldn't find buyers for and the other one's form has fallen off a cliff).

Between the players and the gaffa we're falling short on the training ground and on match-day.... Whinging about spending right now is just lazy and ridden with confirmation bias.

Did not celebrate the equaliser and reacted the same way as I have previously reacted to a consolation goal. Because that was what it was as we should not be drawing at Home re Watford. 4 mins extra time was a joke but considering our goal was only due to a GK mistake it could have been 60mins and we still would not have scored. Really considering what to do next Sunday to avoid the agony of watching our match on Sky. Got tickets for Tuesday and regretting that now. I know we have been poor in the past but I really did not expect this situation to happen this season. I have supported Poch very strongly but that team selection was far too defensive and he must shoulder the blame.

It could just be that dodgy diamond and us getting over-run in midfield. Poch can't see it, though.
Yep - diamond is shit - but even if we played a different formation, we don't currently have the players to control midfield effectively, to make the breaks and the passes. Winks is tidy; Sissoko is athletic - but Moura, Son, Alli, Lamela, are all AMs (at best) which means we lack the combination of defence / attack that's needed to keep our aged back line protected. So, when the ball comes to the defence, there's no protection as everyone's up front, or you have Sissoko and Winksy running around like headless chickens.

I don't really know what the answer is, but we can't play a high line with the old folks, and don't have the creativity in midfield to do a lot except pass it about into safe places in a turgid tribute to AVB.

We have had a two week break in which the manager has stated to the media that he truly believes he has the quality of players within the squad to not need the January transfer window.
During this respite Poch has prepared his tactics, formation and players ready for a home match against a team that was bottom of the league with just 3pts from 8 games.

The result of that match was a 1-1 draw in which Spurs had to chase an early goal deficit for 86 minutes until Alli scored a 'controversial' equaliser which the referee said should stand but the VAR screen clearly displayed a ' No Goal' verdict.

All of the above is factual and would suggest huge internal problems within the club. This was certainly no 'turning point' or indicator of a resurgence in commitment and spirit within the dressing room. Many of the "Poch In" group will try to salvage some sort of comfort from today's result. The Poch Out brigade will beg for them to be realistic and admit a managerial change is desperately needed.

It doesn't matter who wins or loses the argument. All that should remain clearly focused in our heads is where is this club headed and does it require someone else at the helm ?.
My respective answers are 'Down' and 'Yes'.

Name 3 positions that have been under-invested in?
I'll name 5.
Left back, Right back, Central defence considering Jan and Toby are playing out contracts. Midfield, and up front considering Kane has had no real competition for years.
You could arguably add the goalkeeping position to that scenario as we're fucked without Hugo too.

We are so robotic, so motionless, a complete lack of real desire it feels like a testimonial.

We don't move for each other, nobody takes responsibility it's all get it to the wings and cross. It's simply not acceptable that we have no pulling people in and out of areas, no telepathy with it all it's completely shit. It's how I imagine a team like QPR to play, not the finalists of the biggest European tournament to ruck up.
Dare I say it, but one the options that the team who got to the final of a European final was lumping it route 1 to Llorente. Worked against City and Ajax.

I think we miss that option. The number of crosses we put it today would have been good for someone like him. He scored a last minute winner against them at Wembley last season. Just see a team not playing to the strengths of the players on the pitch.

Cunt is blaming fans for the atmosphere. Poor fuckers paying silly money to go to the game and watch this turgid toss.
This prick picks the team. From a pool of players for which it’s HIS job to train, motivate and coordinate.

ergo it’s his fault.

You can have all the desire and will in our 352/343 you want.

Ferociously winning the ball back to pass it from side...to side...to side...to side...as the oppo sit in a block in front of you with your forward players doing their usual, "lemme just stand here and wait for the ball" routine.

Also, the shape that has historically encouraged that drive you wish for is 4231.

The shape that brought out a much better game from us in the second half.

Will without tactics is wishful.

2016/2017 we were killing it with 343. I dunno why peeps have this fixed mentality that 3 at the back = doom for us... Let's also not forget that we made the switch when we did because we were creating fuck all in a 4231 at the time. Evidently the situation is a bit more complex than 4231 or bust (we used to hear the same thing about 442 if you go back far enough).

I agree about "will without tactics", but tactics are what you play within a given formation; they're not implicitly dictated by said chosen formation.

we had NOBODY between the lines, nobody comes towards the ball any more, no forward passing, turning and running past anyone, taking anyone on on the wings-the football we have been playing for a year has been utterly pathetic.
This is the 3rd best squad in the division and should have zero problems beating teams like newcastle brighton and fucking watford.
The manager doesnt want to be here any more than the 'rebel' players, he is and always has been tactically inept and refuses to learn, his team selections and player treatment is baffling, he simply has to go and he will, its just a matter of time- a total hammering at anfield will probably do it.

And I've been a huge fan of Poch I might add. Its over

I am sick of watching us, I don't enjoy it whatsoever and its been like this for such a long time.

If we don't get at least three points from the next three league games then he has to go.
First time i've said anything like that with him.

Couldn't care too much for tuesdays game at the moment, although i sure hope the serbs get a doing off the park if they start playing up.

Back
Top Bottom