Everton - The comedy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winning the European cup 3 times is something special, even if you manage one of the best teams. Guardiola hasn’t done it since Barcelona
Sure I'm not attempting to take that away from him either.

The TRUE reflection of performance, however, is the league positon and he's record is verging on shit given the magnitude of the clubs he was managing. To only have ONE league title from THAT Milan team is so poor.

One of the greatest managers of all time and the man I wanted for us

he’ll have them fighting for trophies within a season. Very impressive appointment for them

absolutely stunned the goons didn’t throw everything at him
Based on what winning the CL with the best squad ever given to a manager? He managed 6 of Europe's elite for 19 years and won just 4 titles .... arguably he failed at each and every club he's been at ... sacked by Juve, resigned at Milan, sacked by Chelsea, quit PSG, sacked by RM, sacked by Bayern, sacked by Napoli and now ended up at Everton.

Interesting story - a 2019 study that compared managers by how well their teams did compared to a computer simulation of teams with the same players ranked Ancelotti as 395th out of 396 managers. This was not because Ancelotti did poorly, but rather that given the star-studied teams he has managed, he should have done much, much better

The TRUE reflection of performance, however, is the league positon and he's record is verging on shit given the magnitude of the clubs he was managing. To only have ONE league title from THAT Milan team is so poor.
They had to get past a pretty stellar Inter side.

Yeah true he should have had more titles with Milan

i thought his chelsea team was the best Chelsea team they have ever had though, if he wasn’t sacked I think he would have won a few more

Based on what winning the CL with the best squad ever given to a manager? He managed 6 of Europe's elite for 19 years and won just 4 titles .... arguably he failed at each and every club he's been at ... sacked by Juve, resigned at Milan, sacked by Chelsea, quit PSG, sacked by RM, sacked by Bayern, sacked by Napoli and now ended up at Everton.

Interesting story - a 2019 study that compared managers by how well their teams did compared to a computer simulation of teams with the same players ranked Ancelotti as 395th out of 396 managers. This was not because Ancelotti did poorly, but rather that given the star-studied teams he has managed, he should have done much, much better
Fair point, I still think winning the European cup with 2 different teams (however good they are) is impressive and rarely done, if ever? Mourinho the only other to spring to mind

Yeah true he should have had more titles with Milan

i thought his chelsea team was the best Chelsea team they have ever had though, if he wasn’t sacked I think he would have won a few more

Yeh, i was well chuffed when they sacked him. They looked way too good for my liking and would only have improved further given time.

I can appreciate the Everton owner being ambitious and trying to make a statement by getting Ancelotti but for me it reeks of not having any kind of clue how to develop the club - I dont think he's the manager they need to take them forward and develop the team in a similar way to what Poch did with us.

He clearly has a good pedigree but that is from elite level clubs who win things whoever manages them (Real / PSG / Bayern / Chavs).

Everton have no real identity and have overspent on transfer fees and wages for mediocre players. If you look at their squad they almost need a rebuild and lack elite level players.

If Ancelotti failed with Napoli who were essentially the 2nd team in Serie A for the last few years, I dont see how he will take Everton passes 5/6 clubs that are way ahead of them at this point, the prem is way more competitive than Serie A

Given the resources available to him at the clubs he has managed, he’s massively underperformed..........
EMT5NsRXUAAXeqA
I didn't know Napoli was the second richest club in Italy.

I think he would have been a huge gamble and the goons can probably afford to risk him, but we can't because we're really struggling right now. I'd rather have someone proven/experienced, and not someone like Silva who, as much as I liked the guy, has failed in the UK. I know our fans love Arteta but he's never actually managed a club, and management is a different ball game, no pun intended, to being a coach. Duncan Ferguson seems to be handling it OK, so Arteta might as well. Arsehole are going to be tough though.
Think you have done a smart thing dodging the Arteta bullet. I've a gooner freind( for my sins) and he is adamant that there's a handful of blokes stealing a living off kinda, if you squint, in the right light looking like Pochettino. He says the list includes Pellegrino, Silva, Marcellino. He strongly suspects Arteta is another of these imposters in waiting. At the very least Ancelotti will get the basics right which was way beyond Silva. Chairman will finally get that Pochettino's are rare as hen's teeth and start giving people like Dyce a chance. If this seems hard on Arteta yes he may be a genius but look at Paul Clement being a top number two means nothing.

Think you have done a smart thing dodging the Arteta bullet. I've a gooner freind( for my sins) and he is adamant that there's a handful of blokes stealing a living off kinda, if you squint, in the right light looking like Pochettino. He says the list includes Pellegrino, Silva, Marcellino. He strongly suspects Arteta is another of these imposters in waiting. At the very least Ancelotti will get the basics right which was way beyond Silva. Chairman will finally get that Pochettino's are rare as hen's teeth and start giving people like Dyce a chance. If this seems hard on Arteta yes he may be a genius but look at Paul Clement being a top number two means nothing.

At the very least Ancelotti will get the base level of respect from the Everton lads....

Will the toxic gooners be suitably respectful of the fact that Arteta used to put out cones for Pep? Hmmm...

Didn't see your game today but I fully expect you to start climbing the table. I think your squad is useful. When is that Gbamin guy due back from injury?
Hi Five. :thumbup:

We probably wont see him back until well into the new year.

Thanks for the optimism, but a major overhaul is needed at Goodison.

Hi Five. :thumbup:

We probably wont see him back until well into the new year.

Thanks for the optimism, but a major overhaul is needed at Goodison.
I thought there was something admirable about the way you tried to pass and move under Silva when I watched you this season. From listening to The Transfer Window podcast, I gathered that Silva was aloof, he had the hump that you didn't shift some players he wanted rid of in the summer, he didn't get a new CB in the summer, you have overspent on certain players (I couldn't agree more with this) and your wage bill is nutty. You have the 11th most expensively assembled squad in Europe. Ambition from the owners is not lacking, is it?! Look at 6 or 8 teams above you in the table and tell me they have a better squad than you. Is that Dutch fella cutting the mustard for you?

Anyway, I think Ancelotti will command the respect of the players (I would have happily taken him here, to be honest with you), you will back him in the January window, and relegation talk will be behind you by the beginning of February.

Back
Top Bottom