New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im in 322. The ST holder 3 seats to the right of me is 80. Good bloke to be honest but there is no way he wants to stand or sing. Even though i might be in it soon, i think the club should seriously consider some 'over 65 only blocks'.

That's it for me mate.

For the last couple of years it's just made me angry, if I'm being honest! The exact scenarios you're describing are just depressing. The marketing prior to the ground opening didn't help either. 'Our Yellow Wall', 'just like Dortmund' etc. The reality is anything but.

I have the utmost admiration for people much older than me who still go every week, I really do. I don't quite know how you tolerate it, having actually lived through the late 70's / 80's etc (I'm not craving kicking people's head in every week, just a some sort of atmosphere around a game would be nice) but fair play to you all. However, I'm not well off enough to continue spending a fortune on something I no longer have the buzz for, so I've drawn the line. Tottenham will always mean to the world to me, but I just cannot justify it anymore, which guts me if I'm honest, but that's PL football today, I suppose.

That was half the fun.

There is always going to be a link between on the field entertainment and atmosphere. At times, it was great under Jol, Redknapp, AVB and Poch; at times, it was shit. The early games under Mou were decent - even Bournemouth at home was very loud and positive throughout. But the atmosphere has collapsed along with the performances. I know Mou has a tough job with our injuries but the approach and negativity is depressing the fuck out of everyone. Celebrating the performance against Wolves as an improvement shows how utterly putrid our recent attempts at football have been. It’s down there with AVB’s last season.
No one was celebrating. Not like they still are at the fact we lost a CL Final by not having a shot until the 86th minute

Has anyone else noticed along Park Lane after matches they cone off the enterance/exit to one of the schools where people (99% of the time) in their Range Rovers have parked.

Stewards won't let them leave as they would be pulling into the throng on their way to NP! I assume they have to wait for a hour or so for the crowd to die down. Very funny.

That was half the fun.
And herein lies the difficulty for us oldies. I was never into the "hooligan scene". However, I do understand that football was so much more than going to watch 90 mins. It was a social event with mates. Even if you worked Saturday mornings it was still a full day. Meet at 12, pub, walk to the ground, watch the game, pub and out in the evening. All mixed in with a bit of trouble if you were so inclined.

Football has changed so much for various reasons, all seaters, no drinking, ticket prices, kick off times and days, etc.. that for the people who used to create the atmosphere the enjoyment just isn't there anymore, and it can't be recreated by the next generations.

I think what it boils down to is that we have to accept you aren't going to get your football experience back. So you either like it (put up with what you've got) or lump it ( Sunglasses Ron Sunglasses Ron for example).

I suspect the stadium will still be full enough for many many years to come with the type of clientele that not only ENIC but the FA, the premier league, UEFA, FIFA, Dubai, Qatar, Relevent etc. all want.

And herein lies the difficulty for us oldies. I was never into the "hooligan scene". However, I do understand that football was so much more than going to watch 90 mins. It was a social event with mates. Even if you worked Saturday mornings it was still a full day. Meet at 12, pub, walk to the ground, watch the game, pub and out in the evening. All mixed in with a bit of trouble if you were so inclined.

Football has changed so much for various reasons, all seaters, no drinking, ticket prices, kick off times and days, etc.. that for the people who used to create the atmosphere the enjoyment just isn't there anymore, and it can't be recreated by the next generations.

I think what it boils down to is that we have to accept you aren't going to get your football experience back. So you either like it (put up with what you've got) or lump it ( Sunglasses Ron Sunglasses Ron for example).

I suspect the stadium will still be full enough for many many years to come with the type of clientele that not only ENIC but the FA, the premier league, UEFA, FIFA, Dubai, Qatar, Relevent etc. all want.

100% this.

This is my view as well.
Whether you indulged in "extra curricular activities" or not, there was still a football culture.Your whole weekend ,quite often was based on where and when Spurs were playing.
Example for me and my lot is,we were on a long weekend away in Yarmouth, which had been planned since the previous summer.We cut it short by a day to get back to London as we had Millwall away.
I still love meeting up with Spurs mates,and still enjoy attending games,but the whole football culture way of life doesn't exist anymore.
Sad but true, in my experience anyway.

I am Australian and have only had the pleasure of going to WHL once in my life and will go to the new place for the first time this year so not here to critique the atmosphere of a place I've never been.

But do the people who hate the atmosphere in the new ground think it is because of the ground itself or the stringent measures by security etc? Surely if they made the bottom half of the Southern stand safe standing (pipe dream) for example that would improve the atmosphere drastically. Another drawback to the increased capacity is of course extra tourists, and whilst I would relish the chance (as I think every foreign fan on this forum would) to go to the ground and help to create a good atmosphere the majority just are there for an Instagram picture which is super depressing.

I am Australian and have only had the pleasure of going to WHL once in my life and will go to the new place for the first time this year so not here to critique the atmosphere of a place I've never been.

But do the people who hate the atmosphere in the new ground think it is because of the ground itself or the stringent measures by security etc? Surely if they made the bottom half of the Southern stand safe standing (pipe dream) for example that would improve the atmosphere drastically. Another drawback to the increased capacity is of course extra tourists, and whilst I would relish the chance (as I think every foreign fan on this forum would) to go to the ground and help to create a good atmosphere the majority just are there for an Instagram picture which is super depressing.
I think its a change in the fanbase and the culture.
You now have people attending the stadium because its one they haven't been to,as opposed to being die hard Spurs fans.Not everyone, but day tripper fans now exist in greater numbers than they did years ago imho.

To be fair, the bottom of the south stand is standing now, but the mix of fans (along with the current on field offering) appears to be the issue. It seems possible that too many of the "wrong" people relocated to the area in the first sales windows without properly considering what they were doing. As has been said here that could have been for a number of reasons, but whatever the root cause, the club could do with doing something about it if they can. And in fairness they appear to be trying to make steps towards that this year. Although removing concessions for Youth and Young Adult tickets will probably not help the situation. I think the reasoning behind that decision is bullshit if I'm honest.

Firstly. enjoy your visit to the new stadium it really is magnificent as a structure.

Atmosphere in general in the Premier League for virtually all teams, apart from newly promoted sides in their first season, is dreadful.

There are a myriad of reasons. Gentrification. Cost of tickets pricing out traditional working class supporters. The globalisation of the product. Football tourists who don't mind paying extra for a one off game as part of their visit to London. Very few traditional 3pm Saturday kick-offs. People buying STs for the 'big games' and selling the rest to anyone that will have them. The age of the fan base steadily rising. All seater stadia.

I still enjoy going due to the day out/social aspect but the actual match day experince is a shadow of what it used to be. Interestingly, like most other teams, as we have got better on the pitch we have got worse in the stands. A false sense of entitlement among the fan base doesn't help.

Last edited:
Another thing the club will have to take a look at IMO is the use of pre-hype anthems, and PA nonsense at the beginning (and end) of games, they literally kill the atmosphere. The worst of this has always been Wembley, I will never forget the League Cup win in 2008, within 30 seconds of the final whistle the PA was blasting out the all time Tottenham classic song of "High Ho fucking Silver lining"!!! Get to fuck with this bollox.

The level of interference from the PA systems is ridiculous and need to end.

Whilst it's a CL Semi-Final, so obviously the crowd are up for it, the loudest ever rendition of "Oh when the Spurs" that has ever been sung was down to the fans during a short lull of the PA system taking over orchestrating fans like performing seals, telling them what to sing and when. You can hear it here at @6:40. (It was so loud you couldn't hear the CL anthem that played during the rendition)

I've no issue in all the PA nonsense being done much earlier in the build-up to the game, one thing that is great about the new stadium is I recon there are approx 20-30k already in their seats when the teams are doing their warm-ups 20-30mins before KO, at the old Lane there was no more than 3-5k I reckon.

But please Spurs, just let the fans build the atmosphere organically and naturally, they do a far, far better job of it than you ever could.

Back
Top Bottom