New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Joshua said: “I’m so excited to be fighting at the new lane. I have to admit though, when I watched the last Spurs game on tv the atmosphere was kinda shite. A bit like a library".

Interesting thread - some good points on the sociological dynamics of football.

One thing I will add is that there has been a deliberate attempt to cultivate a match day 'experience', just one that supplants that typical from the 1970s/'80s. The creation of this speaks to the deliberate harnessing of a high yield, affluent spectator who will spend a lot of money in the new stadium over the course of 3-4 hours. We’re part of a global trend that focuses on high rates of tourist capture in football stadia and are deliberately marketed as such.

Although I do think the decisive factor in changing atmospheres is the gradual (but inexorable and, in time, very substantial) increases in ticket prices.

The Lane had a great atmosphere, the problem is, we are a soulless corporate wet dream now (only without the good football or trophies) with a bunch of daytrippers and a stadium that was built as an entertainment venue for the sort of cunts that worship ENIC like they are gods amongst men because they built a huge piece of property to make profit from.

Also, I think a lot of our supporters have given up, just accepted the fact we will always fail, do the "spursy" thing, I don't see that changing unless new owners come in and actually give the supporters belief that we will truly try to win something.

We do have shit support but the shit support comes from the people who would rather have a nice stadium with a few concerts per year and some NFL games over actually seeing success on the pitch and who think trophies aren't important imo, these are the sort of supporters who sit on their fucking phones for 90 mins posting selfies at the stadium or can't be bothered to sing and tell people to sit down when they get passionate.

Those are the cunts bringing this club down.

A few weeks ago the most extraordinary thing happened. A row down about three seats to the left of me I saw someone turn round and (without swearing I add) have a bit of a go at a young man (probably about 17/18) for standing up and singing - in the act he bumped his seat (quite lightly).

Actually leaned over to tell him you're at a football match, not choir practice. No response. Ha.

Interesting thread - some good points on the sociological dynamics of football.

One thing I will add is that there has been a deliberate attempt to cultivate a match day 'experience', just one that supplants that typical from the 1970s/'80s. The creation of this speaks to the deliberate harnessing of a high yield, affluent spectator who will spend a lot of money in the new stadium over the course of 3-4 hours. We’re part of a global trend that focuses on high rates of tourist capture in football stadia and are deliberately marketed as such.

Although I do think the decisive factor in changing atmospheres is the gradual (but inexorable and, in time, very substantial) increases in ticket prices.

Always thought this, at the old ground the club must of valued me quite low on the scale of who they make the money from. I bought my season ticket every year and maybe a bottle of beer every few games, that's it. Substituteme for a fan who may not go to many games a year but will spend £20 on food and drink in the stadium, £50-£100 in the shop, maybe do a tour of the stadium etc. They make more money from those fans than myself, a little different in the new place where into buy a couple of beers and maybe a sausage roll most games. But thats mainly because it's actaully drinkable/edible now!

A few weeks ago the most extraordinary thing happened. A row down about three seats to the left of me I saw someone turn round and (without swearing I add) have a bit of a go at a young man (probably about 17/18) for standing up and singing - in the act he bumped his seat (quite lightly).

Actually leaned over to tell him you're at a football match, not choir practice. No response. Ha.

This has happened to my mate before, I believe it. Fucking daytripping cunts. These are the people ENIC are grooming.

It is a bit annoying to have 1 person sing next to you when nobody else is. But the atmospher stinks at the new ground. It aint the ground its the expensive ticks and gentrification of the fans

It is a bit annoying to have 1 person sing next to you when nobody else is. But the atmospher stinks at the new ground. It aint the ground its the expensive ticks and gentrification of the fans
Yup but regardless of the marketing of the White Wall, the club are definitely prepared to sacrifice atmosphere for currency. I'm positive they would prefer to have both, but I just can't see it happening.

All I can see is the continuation of the steady decline in the "traditional" football consumer and rise of tourist / infrequent visitors who want to "immerse themselves" in a game in the "Best League In The World"™

Yup but regardless of the marketing of the White Wall, the club are definitely prepared to sacrifice atmosphere for currency. I'm positive they would prefer to have both, but I just can't see it happening.

All I can see is the continuation of the steady decline in the "traditional" football consumer and rise of tourist / infrequent visitors who want to "immerse themselves" in a game in the "Best League In The World"™

To be fair its no different at barcelona or madrid for all but the biggest games

You mean you don't already :levyeyes:

giphy.gif

Considering the attention to detail to make the South Stand acoustically effective, I can't believe that same attention wasn't applied to who would sit there. Having said that, I suppose that until safe standing is officially allowed by law, the Club won't be able to make it known that seats in that area will be for standing.
When I get a ticket for CL games, I always go for South Stand and fully expect to stand, as I know how the stadium is set up.

Considering the attention to detail to make the South Stand acoustically effective, I can't believe that same attention wasn't applied to who would sit there. Having said that, I suppose that until safe standing is officially allowed by law, the Club won't be able to make it known that seats in that area will be for standing.
When I get a ticket for CL games, I always go for South Stand and fully expect to stand, as I know how the stadium is set up.

What's worse is it didn't need a lot of research to make it happen. The 1882 movement that used to go to the youth games would have been blinding at the heart of it. The club chose the wrong 1882 club.

Edit: Flav Flav , any way this can get upmamd running again?

Also.....bring back the dude with the drum!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom