Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thanks for sharing. Sliding tackles, crisp passes to actual Spurs players, tactical fouls.

Is he really from Kenya and is 32? I guess the post match interview when he was trying his hardest not to cry answers that one.

I love the kid and I hope we don't have to wait another six months to see him again at DM. He will be the first name I'll be searching for on the list against Burnley.

Last edited:
Because Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso.

Yes. At least until/if we get ourselves a top quality 6 in the summer.

I've seen you complaining about a lack of options for people on the ball and protection of our back line. A 433 consisting of a designated 6 busy cunt - Skipp - flanked by Ndombele and Lo Celso - with the wide forwards dropping wide to make a 451 without the ball - should offer options on the ball as Skipp, GLC and Nd can all take ands pass the ball under some pressure, all move it with some alacrity, but will also give us a bodies in front of that defence. They will need coaching to understand what their remits are without the ball and when etc, but that's what I expect from Mourinho (or any decent coach).

Without the ball:

Lloris

Aurier------Sanchez-------Tangnaga-----Davies

Ndombele(Winks)---------Skipp-----------Lo Celso
Lamela(Berg)-------------------------------------------Moura(Sess)
Alli

With:
Lloris

Sanchez---------------Tangnaga

Skipp
^ ^
Ndombele-----------------------Lo Celso
Aurier----------------------------------^-----------------------------------Davies
^
Lamela(Berg)-----------^------------Moura(Sess)
Alli

Now chuck in the likes of Kane, Son and add in a quality 6 type and a couple of decent FB's either side.

Because Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso.

And surely the point is, how much protection and options on the ball are any combination of 2 of those players giving at the moment ?

This is my biggest issue with us, both Poch and Mourinho keep trying to play double pivots when we haven't got a single player really equipped to play in one.

Yes. At least until/if we get ourselves a top quality 6 in the summer.

I've seen you complaining about a lack of options for people on the ball and protection of our back line. A 433 consisting of a designated 6 busy cunt - Skipp - flanked by Ndombele and Lo Celso - with the wide forwards dropping wide to make a 451 without the ball - should offer options on the ball as Skipp, GLC and Nd can all take ands pass the ball under some pressure, all move it with some alacrity, but will also give us a bodies in front of that defence. They will need coaching to understand what their remits are without the ball and when etc, but that's what I expect from Mourinho (or any decent coach).

Without the ball:

Lloris

Aurier------Sanchez-------Tangnaga-----Davies

Ndombele(Winks)---------Skipp-----------Lo Celso
Lamela(Berg)-------------------------------------------Moura(Sess)
Alli

With:
Lloris

Sanchez---------------Tangnaga

Skipp
^ ^
Ndombele-----------------------Lo Celso
Aurier----------------------------------^-----------------------------------Davies
^
Lamela(Berg)-----------^------------Moura(Sess)
Alli

Now chuck in the likes of Kane, Son and add in a quality 6 type and a couple of decent FB's either side.
A 4-3-3 is supposed to play a high defensive line and press high, is it not?

And surely the point is, how much protection and options on the ball are any combination of 2 of those players giving at the moment ?

This is my biggest issue with us, both Poch and Mourinho keep trying to play double pivots when we haven't got a single player really equipped to play in one.
In theory, Skipp should have more help operating in a double pivot than going solo at the base of midfield. I am not an expert on formations, but I am trying to learn about them. I am going to do what I promised you I would, and dig up stuff written by coaches, etc, and copy and paste it for your delectation, because your constant spoofing about this raises my fucking hackles.

Last edited:
A 4-3-3 is supposed to play a high defensive line and press high, is it not?

In my ideal world, but it's not obligatory, look at how Klopp varies Liverpool's phases of game management or games. Mourinho has used 433's previously at RM and Chelsea.

In theory, Skipp should have more help operating in a double pivot than going solo at the base of midfield. I am not an expert on formations, but I am trying to learn about them. I am going to do what I promised you I would, and dig up stuff written by coaches, etc, and copy and paste it for your delectation, because your constant spoofing about this raises my fucking hackles.

But he's not "solo" there are two other midfielders in there next to him in defensive phases. Is Fabinho "on his own" in Liverpool's 433 ? was Fernandinho "on his own" in Guadiola's 433 ? Two different make ups of 433, one more pragmatic (with Henderson and Wijnaldum) the other far more proactive (with De Bruyne and Silva) but even Klopp goes more proactive with OC and/or Keita or Lallana.

I don't get what you are struggling to grasp. I even drew you a diagram.

Thanks for sharing. Sliding tackles, crisp passes to actual Spurs players, tactical fouls.

Is he really from Kenya and is 32? I guess the post match interview when he was trying his hardest not to cry answers that one.

I love the kid and I hope we don't have to wait another six months to see him again at DM. He will be the first name I'll be searching for on the list against Burnley.

Every interview I’ve seen of him he’s been similar, just how he speaks makes him look like he’s holding back tears.

He’s a very tidy footballer, not sure why it’s been so long for him to get his selection but his last couple of games the game did pass him by somewhat, it’s most likely a fitness or stamina thing(??) but great to see him back out and putting in performances that get noticed.

Every interview I’ve seen of him he’s been similar, just how he speaks makes him look like he’s holding back tears.

He’s a very tidy footballer, not sure why it’s been so long for him to get his selection but his last couple of games the game did pass him by somewhat, it’s most likely a fitness or stamina thing(??) but great to see him back out and putting in performances that get noticed.
"He is a very tidy footballer?" Good thing you have no say in picking a team. 26k posts coming from the sofa, get a girlfriend.

In my ideal world, but it's not obligatory, look at how Klopp varies Liverpool's phases of game management or games. Mourinho has used 433's previously at RM and Chelsea.
You need to have to the ability to press high within phases of games. We don't have that anymore.
Also, you have conveniently forgotten about the full-backs again.
But he's not "solo" there are two other midfielders in there next to him in defensive phases.
If we recover our defensive shape after we have lost the ball.

Ledley King: "He’s a tremendous young player. I’m a big fan and for one so young he’s got great maturity, composure on the ball, and he likes a tackle as well!He reminds me a bit of Scott Parker. He’s got a great future ahead of him.”

You need to have to the ability to press high within phases of games. We don't have that anymore.
Also, you have conveniently forgotten about the full-backs again.

If we recover our defensive shape after we have lost the ball.

Firstly, I think you are confusing shape with approach. I get that some formats lend themselves to approaches but none are obligatory, when we were a high pressing team we never played 433.

Secondly, I don't see why we can't still press for phases (even if it's just a mid press). Especially now we are using some fresher legs. As I've said, while adapting to Mourinho's periodisation methods it can be a used as a 451 in default mode, that becomes a 433 in transition or in aggressive phases.

Whether we play deeper, medium or higher, passive or aggressive, I still think it gives us a better balance of coverage, better protection (in the 451) and a better balance of skills on the pitch - that playing CM2 formats constantly, be that 4231, 442, 343 etc. that we have been playing. And puts our better players on the pitch.

And we can gradually work on it, adapt it during pre season to Mourinho's tactical periodisation methods. Aggressive 433, switching to passive 451 etc during phases. A bit like Klopp does.

Had a very good game for us in a position we're desperately short of talent in. Has great potential for improvement, needs game time to build confidence. If he can't get a run of games now, what the hell are we doing as a club?

Back
Top Bottom