Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does anyone think all our staff have been paid well over the average for the past few years? I’m assuming we’ve got plenty of staff that are paid under the London living wage. And even more who struggle too live on their salary.

Where’s the handkerchief wringing when we signed Tanguy? Or when Kane extended his contract? Where was the concern for our poor unfortunate urchins then?

Surely we shouldn’t be signing players for £50m plus and giving Kane £200k per week? We should be using that money to put our groundsmen on £70k per annum, no?

After all, we are a community, not a business.

That’s a straw man argument.

No one’s wringing handkerchiefs. No one’s taking to the barricades.

I think the majority of us accept the nature of elite sport and how the players take the spoils. I suppose this was just an opportunity for ENIC to surprise us but, of course, whilst they’re famously slow to move on the transfer market, they were fucking light speed when it came to furloughing*.

*Probably unfair as it looks like they wanted to give the impacted staff a month’s notice.

To be honest, if they make up the 20%, that will do for me.

BA was just a single example for clarity, you taking advantage and labeling it as a 'vital British institution' is just a weak argument. Replace BA with Primark, Costa, Nissan, etc. Most every business across the globe is furloughing staff to protect solvency right now. And your point of the egregious salaries in football is laughable, compared to the real titans of corporate capitalism Levy and Lewis and ENICs other execs are paupers.

It's just that football is the one thing we pay more attention to and are more aware of. You'll have a point to stand on when you start calling out the execs of these other businesses who make factors of 10 or 100 more than Levy that are sending their employees off to the public till.

Of course. Quite right.

You’re mistaking my resigned amusement at Levy and Lewis’ position for anger. Let’s furlough away. Sign-on for assistance.

Im sure the two million (if that) we save will be ploughed into transfers.

A question that I have nko idea about.

I know that UEFA mentioned in the last day or so that they will review FFP because of coronavirus.
Previous to that, I'm assuming that as FFP was in full force, that as the wage bill would of stayed the same, it would of had an impact on the FFP?

This doesn't excuse the way the non playing staff have been treated, just a question.

British Airways, annual revenue £13B - furloughs workers, general consensus "makes sense, their revenue is next to nil at present"

Tottenham Hotspur, annual revenue £450M - furloughs workers, general consensus "WHAT GREEDY, SNAKEY CUNTS!"

Find some perspective.

British Airways- airline I've never used , hold no affiliation for and don't give a shit about . A corporate giant that relies on customers.

Tottenham- football club I've loved for 35 years, centre of the community, relies on fans who go week in and week out and love the club.

BA - They provide a bad service, maybe you give them another chance. They do it again you switch. A simple transaction that holds no emotional connection.

Tottenham. 1 trophy one twenty years. Biggest rivals have won the league at our stadium, haven't won said league in 50 odd years , recently got knocked out of the cup by Norwich at home. Highest ticket prices in the world, currently in mid table. Are you going to switch to Liverpool? Better football, better team, wins trophies, lower ticket prices all equals a better service. Course you aren't.

Ba - no income so much more believable that they can't afford to keep paying 30,000 staff.
Tottenham no income , not so believable that they can't pay a few hundred.

Seems to me like you need some perspective.

We have a multi - billionaire owner who avoids paying his tax and made his mint on the back of the financial misery of millions.
Why are you making excuses?

I've not made an excuse at all for Levy in this instance! it's despicable. I'm saying on a separate note United and City aren't doing the right thing out of morality, just that they can easily afford to do so.

it's two separate points. calm down. I get it, everything is about Levy for you.

A wage cap at $177m per squad of 53, averaging $65k per week. Players like Eli Manning making more than $30m some years.

You’re right. I think premier league teams could stick to a massive wage cap too.
If it only the premiership, players will fuck off to Spain. Professional football is a worldwide business, so anything like that would have to implemented and agreed worldwide.

British Airways- airline I've never used , hold no affiliation for and don't give a shit about . A corporate giant that relies on customers.

Tottenham- football club I've loved for 35 years, centre of the community, relies on fans who go week in and week out and love the club.

BA - They provide a bad service, maybe you give them another chance. They do it again you switch. A simple transaction that holds no emotional connection.

Tottenham. 1 trophy one twenty years. Biggest rivals have won the league at our stadium, haven't won said league in 50 odd years , recently got knocked out of the cup by Norwich at home. Highest ticket prices in the world, currently in mid table. Are you going to switch to Liverpool? Better football, better team, wins trophies, lower ticket prices all equals a better service. Course you aren't.

Ba - no income so much more believable that they can't afford to keep paying 30,000 staff.
Tottenham no income , not so believable that they can't pay a few hundred.

Seems to me like you need some perspective.
So they should pay the staff with your unending love and devotion then? What fucking argument are you making?

:avbcringe:

No benefit to the clubs who will have to continue to pay their large salaries with no income coming in. Lucky for him he signed a new contract, not so good for Vertonghen who is out of contract in June.
Going to be interesting how clubs handle this, for clubs who pay footballers wages that equate to +60% of turnover they almost certainly will have to terminate the player's contracts or go under (obviously this is if there is no return date fixed on the horizon). Quite how they can do that is entirely another issue.

Unfortunately, I think you have hit the nail on the head with this statement. Lots of us remember when this wasn't the case but with the advent of agents, tv, advertising etc, it's changed beyond recognition.
It's extremely difficult to see the the sport and the team you love embracing this extreme capitalist culture but this is the way in which the whole world is now traveling. Lewis. Levy, ENIC.....they're symptomatic of the current climate as are the owners of City, Chelsea and others. In order to get back to enjoying the beautiful game, I for one, have had to put aside my personal feelings and moral compass. Otherwise the whole footballing world would make me sick to my stomach. This crisis has put a microscope on the game and revealed the true nature of the business. However, again, in my personal opinion, Homo Sapiens are natures greatest evolutionary mistake and disregarding football and the present crisis, there won't be any civilisation or even a habitable planet in 50 years. Sad but inevitable.

Football clubs as businesses, do a shocking bad job of embracing capitalism. The overwhelming majority of them fail to make a profit. Unlike efficient capitalist companies, who put profit - and shareholder remuneration - above all else, football clubs rarely do. We have clubs in the EPL paying their staff over 100% of their revenue. Nearly half paying their staff more than 70%. Only 8 PL clubs made profit last year. Go into the championship and it's a mess of biblical proportions financially.

The only real explanation for this is that rather than embracing capitalist ideals, they can barely manage basic fucking housekeeping, which continually puts their "local club" and it's employees at risk. And here's the irony, the stupider a club is run, the less fiscally prudent, the more some fans cheer it. The better a club is run, the more it's owner/board are criticised.

And an even bigger irony is these same fans, who criticise Levy for refusing to risk the financial viability of Spurs, often tend to regard owners like Abramovic and the Sheikh's as pariah's despite the fact that they do exactly what they want Levy to do, they don't run their clubs for profit, far from it, they were prepared to invest their own money - not the banks - into their own clubs, for nothing more than the pursuit of footballing glory (even if their may be spurious cultural/politicalmotives for chasing that glory)

People talk as if football only exists in £60 a ticket, prawn sandwich format. The beautiful game is there, in it's naked, humble form, at a field near you, every weekend. Walk your dog and to the local park and you can watch it for nothing. Smell the vaseline, hear them cunt referees off (despite the poor buggers giving up their Sundays for fuck all so they can have a game). Or you could go to any of the numerous tiers of football and increase that payment from a fiver upwards.

You choose to watch PL football. It's like choosing to only eat Michelin Starred food and then complaining about how expensive it is.

Does anyone think all our staff have been paid well over the average for the past few years? I’m assuming we’ve got plenty of staff that are paid under the London living wage. And even more who struggle too live on their salary.

Where’s the handkerchief wringing when we signed Tanguy? Or when Kane extended his contract? Where was the concern for our poor unfortunate urchins then?

Surely we shouldn’t be signing players for £50m plus and giving Kane £200k per week? We should be using that money to put our groundsmen on £70k per annum, no?

After all, we are a community, not a business.

Club has had its statement that it pays the London Living Wage as a minimum audited to show its correct.

All contracts with the club also have a clause in them that the contractor must pay at least the London Living Wage to their employees.

Club has had its statement that it pays the London Living Wage as a minimum audited to show its correct.

All contracts with the club also have a clause in them that the contractor must pay at least the London Living Wage to their employees.
Ta for sharing that. Good to know we go to that level anyway.

But the point still stands that throughout the club, there’s a massive difference in salaries that I’ve not really seen mentioned until now.

Looks to me that it’s always been fine to have one employee on £10m per annum and another on £30k per annum, but now the low earner is losing a grand and a half, it’s suddenly the biggest insult out.

Going to be interesting how clubs handle this, for clubs who pay footballers wages that equate to +60% of turnover they almost certainly will have to terminate the player's contracts or go under (obviously this is if there is no return date fixed on the horizon). Quite how they can do that is entirely another issue.

The clubs are in trouble - at least half the PL need player wage cuts in the next 3 months, almost all Championship, League I , League 2, National League and 6 layers of leagues below that perhaps even more so.

Its not confined to England either, the fact that Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus players taking pay cuts/deferrals much earlier confirms that.

Think it would be helpful if UEFA were persuaded to put out a similar piece of advice as PL did - 30% deferrals/cuts - to ensure all clubs/players/agents are aware. It isn't legally binding of course as contracts are between players and clubs but should ensure everyone is starting from the basis (exceptions for earnings under say £2k pw (£100k pa) or whatever.

Looking forward a lot of commentators suggesting most european GDP will be circa 10% less this season, which is likely to mean sponsorship companies budgets for sponsorships/advert revenues for clubs will be decreased. tv companies subscriptions are likely to fall so TV revenues might be under pressure and fans may not be quite so able to pay top price for season tickets if they have had reduced wages in 2020 etc. I suspect all football clubs revenues will be less in 2021 and probably 2022 than in 2019......so think player wages will need to fall as that is generally football clubs largest cost.

Be useful if UEFA revises FFP to somehow limit player wages to stop clubs over paying wages - the original idea of FFP which was watered down and hence football's current wages crisis.

That’s a straw man argument.

No one’s wringing handkerchiefs. No one’s taking to the barricades.

I think the majority of us accept the nature of elite sport and how the players take the spoils. I suppose this was just an opportunity for ENIC to surprise us but, of course, whilst they’re famously slow to move on the transfer market, they were fucking light speed when it came to furloughing*.

*Probably unfair as it looks like they wanted to give the impacted staff a month’s notice.

To be honest, if they make up the 20%, that will do for me.
To be honest, if they do something anything rather than sit on inflatables I think most people would be happy.
Idiots ruling the world. Privileged idiots sucking up the worlds capital.

All players need to do more than sit in their luxury dungeons. Maybe they are doing helpful things, but there are millions who are doing more. Someone take a lead on this please.

The PFA telling us that the NHS will suffer does the opposite of help.

Ta for sharing that. Good to know we go to that level anyway.

But the point still stands that throughout the club, there’s a massive difference in salaries that I’ve not really seen mentioned until now.

Looks to me that it’s always been fine to have one employee on £10m per annum and another on £30k per annum, but now the low earner is losing a grand and a half, it’s suddenly the biggest insult out.

Agree lower staff currently expected to lose 20%, but I do wonder if the timing of Levy's announcement (just after March payroll paid) means he wanted to put player wages as high on the PL/PFA/public agenda as possible and give himself a whole month before April payroll needed to be paid (with 20% cuts on lower paid - or possibly not reducing pay without announcing it ).

How to get players to the negotiating table for both Spurs and all other clubs could be interesting though

The clubs are in trouble - at least half the PL need player wage cuts in the next 3 months, almost all Championship, League I , League 2, National League and 6 layers of leagues below that perhaps even more so.

Its not confined to England either, the fact that Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus players taking pay cuts/deferrals much earlier confirms that.

Think it would be helpful if UEFA were persuaded to put out a similar piece of advice as PL did - 30% deferrals/cuts - to ensure all clubs/players/agents are aware. It isn't legally binding of course as contracts are between players and clubs but should ensure everyone is starting from the basis (exceptions for earnings under say £2k pw (£100k pa) or whatever.

Looking forward a lot of commentators suggesting most european GDP will be circa 10% less this season, which is likely to mean sponsorship companies budgets for sponsorships/advert revenues for clubs will be decreased. tv companies subscriptions are likely to fall so TV revenues might be under pressure and fans may not be quite so able to pay top price for season tickets if they have had reduced wages in 2020 etc. I suspect all football clubs revenues will be less in 2021 and probably 2022 than in 2019......so think player wages will need to fall as that is generally football clubs largest cost.

Be useful if UEFA revises FFP to somehow limit player wages to stop clubs over paying wages - the original idea of FFP which was watered down and hence football's current wages crisis.
Fuck all of that. People are dying and wider still, people are out of jobs and struggling to make ends meet.

A business that actively targets the community to generate its revenue?

I'm not saying you are wrong but it is low in the list right now.

How to get players to the negotiating table for both Spurs and all other clubs could be interesting though
Agree. I know that Jordan Henderson is very active in trying to get PL players into some kind of help.

Fuck you Harry Kane. England captain. I'm a bit embarrassed for you because all you need to do is open your fucking mouth.

Back
Top Bottom