2 former players you would bring back to today’s squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele

It's been 3 years since last time he played for spurs
BestFrankAmericansaddlebred-size_restricted.gif

Greaves our all time top scorer & MacKay voted the best Tottenham player ever......:mourbringit:

Absolutely

Dave the sort of guy who would never let you down and tragically career cut short with the two broken legs but was still magnificent

Hoddle was the best player I have seen in a Spurs shirt. Totally unique and would bring out the best in everyone- even today’s shower

Loved Glenn as a player but would disappear from games occasionally especially if he received a heavy tackle but no denying his magic right foot and I was privileged to be there at Watford for THAT goal!!
Superb

Loved Glenn as a player but would disappear from games occasionally especially if he received a heavy tackle but no denying his magic right foot and I was privileged to be there at Watford for THAT goal!!
Superb

Was brilliant on either foot to be honest unlike today’s lazy one footed players. Don’t like him as a pundit mind as he seems to go out of his way to praise our opponents sometimes

Bale pre or right after his Madrid move and current day Adel Taarabt.

Those two or players fitting that mold would be great additions.

I thought Perryman, Knowles, Gilzean and Jennings (all from the Spurs team I first watched) were good nostalgic shouts, but I'd go with Greaves & Gazza, both of whom could be argued as the best players in the world of their time, with Mackay, Hoddle, King, Modric & Bale next in line.
All of them would walk into any side, let alone ours right now.

I thought Perryman, Knowles, Gilzean and Jennings (all from the Spurs team I first watched) were good nostalgic shouts, but I'd go with Greaves & Gazza, both of whom could be argued as the best players in the world of their time, with Mackay, Hoddle, King, Modric & Bale next in line.
All of them would walk into any side, let alone ours right now.
Mr P was not a nostalgic shout. If I understand the question correctly, it was to fill a need in our current squad. Not that I'm a tactician, but I thought our biggest problem was a defensive midfielder. Stevie was great in that position and he was an exemplary captain. And as already pointed out, he could fill in as full back. Yes, I'm biased, but that doesn't make it any less valid. The reason I didn't pick Greaves is that Harry is the least of our problems.

Contenders
Greaves
King
Gazza
Hoddle
Bale
Carrick (purely for DM)
Jennings

If only 2 it would have to be King and Carrick, only because that is where we are seriously lacking.

If everything else was fine, Bale and Greaves

I was thinking best DM and CB of recent times (basically who I have seen play). So putting those two in the team would have an immediate effect.

Would love to see the effect of Blanchflower and McKay in our midfield.

Or Linekar and Chris Waddle. Goals and skills out wide.

But going to go with Hoddle and Gazza . Wonder how Hoddle would do now the game has become less physical. Be great to see.
Gazza at his peak was unstoppable. Shame he couldn’t stay at Spurs for longer.

Mr P was not a nostalgic shout. If I understand the question correctly, it was to fill a need in our current squad. Not that I'm a tactician, but I thought our biggest problem was a defensive midfielder. Stevie was great in that position and he was an exemplary captain. And as already pointed out, he could fill in as full back. Yes, I'm biased, but that doesn't make it any less valid. The reason I didn't pick Greaves is that Harry is the least of our problems.

Yep, though I was thinking of a Kane/Greaves front two in a 4-4-2 rather than one or the other.

I'm (almost)as biased as you on Steve Perryman (admittedly, I never fell in love with him) as a Spurs player, but the cold hard truth is that he never broke into the England side. Nearly all of those other players were international greats.

Not only was Mr P a fine player but a very very good leader, that is what we lack the most.

Yep, though I was thinking of a Kane/Greaves front two in a 4-4-2 rather than one or the other.

I'm (almost)as biased as you on Steve Perryman (admittedly, I never fell in love with him) as a Spurs player, but the cold hard truth is that he never broke into the England side. Nearly all of those other players were international greats.
That says more about the England management than Stevie's ability.............in my humble, biased opinion , of course

Back
Top Bottom