Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
I think we have 0 chance
I suppose if it's mathematically possible it's still on, but let's face it the CL spot was gone before JM walked through the door.
You can't expect to be 14th in October and realistically expect to qualify, the club has been a total mess for nearly two seasons now with the prospect of bargain deals on the horizon.
We dont really know what has gone on behind the scenes, however it certainly seems that poch and levy have created quite a problem.

I think we have 0 chance

Despite that not being a mathematical fact, it's not actually what I've been debating... That should be perfectly clear to those taking exception to my comment in this thread.

I just question the (contradictory) logic of condoning the players/manager throwing the towel in whilst elsewhere moaning about out mentality.

Despite that not being a mathematical fact, it's not actually what I've been debating... That should be perfectly clear to those taking exception to my comment in this thread.

I just question the (contradictory) logic of condoning the players/manager throwing the towel in whilst elsewhere moaning about out mentality.
I never moaned about anyone’s mentality - just asked you a question

Asked earlier if you think we can still make it - which you’ve subsequently answered

I don't think we have much of a chance; but if we don't dig in and fight then we risk:

a) missing out on whatever slim chance we do have
b) risk missing out on Europe altogether...

Neither of which I want.

Nah, only the hypocrites need do that.
Well I try not to be hypocritical. All we can do is sit, watch and hope. Miracles can happen. Don't forget we've seen Sissoko and Aurier score. Both minor miracles. It's the hope that does you in, don't you find? Looking forward with a touch of apprehension to tomorrow.
We really ought to win fairly comfortably but Antonio is always threat. Reminds me of Traore. They both seem to up their game against us.
COYS

I think the CL is gone, I accepted that when the penalty went in on Friday.

And, honestly, not bothered. I want us to give the Europa a go and have for a decade. We can win the fucking thing and maybe a domestic cup at the same time and at least clear out some of the negativity that's clouded over this club for ages. Then maybe we can move forward.
I wonder if it might not be better in the long run for us not to play in the Europa. Less matches, more time off for training, r and r.
Not sure what the EL would bring in money wise . Would it be significant to our coffers?

I wonder if it might not be better in the long run for us not to play in the Europa. Less matches, more time off for training, r and r.
Not sure what the EL would bring in money wise . Would it be significant to our coffers?
Obviously the pool is smaller in the EL, but United and Chelsea's recent EL winning runs netted both clubs €40M+. Nothing to sneeze at, certainly. Issue being you really need to get to the semis of the EL to make decent revenue out of it.

I've never understood the idea of "better not to play in the EL" especially when that sentiment generally comes from people moaning that we don't win the utterly pointless League Cup or financially meaningless FA Cup. The EL is a legitimate trophy and it pays better than any other competition than the CL or PL, plus it awards a CL spot directly. Only reason not to want to be in it would be if being out of it guaranteed you'd win the league that season. Otherwise what a waste.

We won't get top 4 this year and probably won't be good enough to get it next year so we should desperately be trying to make EL and go full tilt to win the fucker, I have no interest in being the new Woolwich, top 4 every year knocked out early in the KO stages of CL rinse and repeat.

We won't get top 4 this year and probably won't be good enough to get it next year so we should desperately be trying to make EL and go full tilt to win the fucker, I have no interest in being the new Woolwich, top 4 every year knocked out early in the KO stages of CL rinse and repeat.

This mate. If the club behave like a CL club and spend like one, then all good. But we all know we don’t have the owners or the chairman to push us to that level where we will be really competing in the CL, so it’s best we sit within our budget and that’s a Europa league side. We were an total shambles this season in the CL.

Love the negativity in this thread and forum as a whole sometimes. What I find obnoxious about some of the other big teams is their arrogance BUT you’ll never win anything unless you believe in yourself no matter how s&$t you are. I for one think we have a chance. I would have been feeling way more optimistic had we beat Man U but we, of course, never make it easy on ourselves. If we win our remaining 8 games, we’ll be in the CL next season. A tall order I know, but let’s take it one game at a time; it’s called momentum. If we get 3 wins on the trot and stave off injuries, I could see us closing out the season undefeated.

COYS!!!

I've never understood the idea of "better not to play in the EL" especially when that sentiment generally comes from people moaning that we don't win the utterly pointless League Cup or financially meaningless FA Cup.

That competition should be treated for what it is. A chance to win a European trophy.

If we had of treated it with more respect then odds are our club would have made a final and had more experience in that scenario. The build up, the expectation, the way a player reacts.

Instead we reach a final and look what happens. The club has fallen apart because we lose a 90 minute football match.

Will never understand it. Do our fans treat it like shit? No. They travel across Europe to often watch reserve teams play. It’s bullshit. But all done in pursuit of our top 4 dreams.

BubZWsIIcAIPd5o.png

It’s funny because it’s true.

That’s how far we have fallen and how poor we are. Level on points with Palace and pretty much neck and neck with the worse Woolwich team in decades. A real piss poor season from us.
Hard not to agree , I personally didn't want Mourinho i said at the time the fit just doesn't seem right and we all knew the style of football we would end up playing .
He could be here for a while unless fan power gets him out or the results really turn catastrophic .

Love the negativity in this thread and forum as a whole sometimes. What I find obnoxious about some of the other big teams is their arrogance BUT you’ll never win anything unless you believe in yourself no matter how s&$t you are. I for one think we have a chance. I would have been feeling way more optimistic had we beat Man U but we, of course, never make it easy on ourselves. If we win our remaining 8 games, we’ll be in the CL next season. A tall order I know, but let’s take it one game at a time; it’s called momentum. If we get 3 wins on the trot and stave off injuries, I could see us closing out the season undefeated.

COYS!!!

Why will we be in the cl next season if we win the next 8? Manu are still a decent amount of points ahead of us and can afford to lose and drop points, even if we win all 8. We fucked any small chance we had by conceding that stupid penalty with 10 mins to go. The team is not good enough mate.

Why will we be in the cl next season if we win the next 8? Manu are still a decent amount of points ahead of us and can afford to lose and drop points, even if we win all 8. We fucked any small chance we had by conceding that stupid penalty with 10 mins to go. The team is not good enough mate.
Sadly true. It doesn’t mean we give up or stop caring. But the focus for me should be on giving Mou the best insight for a successful campaign next season, a campaign that he can truly own. For me that’s the bigger picture. I’m hoping next season sees us moulded and performing fully in the way that he and his coaching team desire, competing for silverware and CL qualification. A bit like his pretty decent first full run with Man U.

Sadly true. It doesn’t mean we give up or stop caring. But the focus for me should be on giving Mou the best insight for a successful campaign next season, a campaign that he can truly own. For me that’s the bigger picture. I’m hoping next season sees us moulded and performing fully in the way that he and his coaching team desire, competing for silverware and CL qualification. A bit like his pretty decent first full run with Man U.

Agreed mate. Finish off the season on a high and we go next season with a fully motivated Mourinho

Back
Top Bottom