Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
We're behind Sheffield United and level with Crystal Palace, and we can't improve the squad much because like most of the footballing world we're broke. No way would we be anything close to favourites for the Europa League.
We're behind them after 30 games. I didn't realise the season ended tonight. Take it from me if we are in the Europa next season we will be in the top 5 if not 3 favourites to win it.

CHELSEAUNITEDWOLVESSPURS
25-Jun24-Jun24-JunTue 23 June
CITY (H)SHEFF U (H)B'MOUTH (H)WEST HAMH
01-Jul30-Jun27-JunThu 2 July
WHU (A)BHA (A)VILLA (A)SHEFF UTDA
04-Jul04-Jul04-JulMon 6 July
WATFORD (H)B'MOUTH (H)ARSE (H)EVERTONH
07-Jul09-Jul08-JulThu 9 July
PALACE (A)VILLA (A)SHEFF U (A)BOURNEMOUTHA
11-Jul13-Jul12-JulSun 12 July
SHEFF U (A)SOTON (H)EVERTON (H)ARSE-NALH
15-Jul15-Jul15-JulWed 15 July
NORWICH (H)PALACE (A)BURNLEY (A)NEWCASTLEA
18-Jul18-Jul18-JulSat 18 July
LIVERPOOL (A)WHU (H)PALACE (H)LEICESTERH
26-Jul26-Jul26-JulSun 26 July
WOLVES (H)LEICESTER (A)CHELSEA (A)PALACEA

Those last day fixtures could be interesting. Hopefully.

We're behind them after 30 games. I didn't realise the season ended tonight. Take it from me if we are in the Europa next season we will be in the top 5 if not 3 favourites to win it.
Okay, if we're lucky and do well we might finish 3 points ahead of Crystal Palace. No way does that make us a better side than the likes of Man United, Inter Milan, Wolfsburg, Sevilla, Leverkusen or Wolves who are all still in this year's competition, for instance. We've regressed massively over the last 18 months and are weaker than we've been at any point since Redknapp showed up.

we might be one of the favourites, but let’s be honest mate, we won’t win it because this team and club just doesn’t do trophies. I can’t actually see when our next trophy is ever going to come from because we have fallen at the final hurdle every single time

Table tonight (Mancity played 29 games, others played 30 games),

Liverpool 83
ManCity 60
Leicester 54
Chelsea 51
---------------------Top 4
ManU 46
Wolves 46
Sheff U 44
Spurs 42

I'd suggest top 4 are probably already set in stone, small chance of any upset, we just lost too much ground even when Poch .was manager and injuries after that didnt help

Aim now is Europa League for a season
- Another way into CL
- Extra £30m - £40m possible which we cant easily turn down
- Opportunity to play some youngsters in group games
- With the size of squad we have, need extra games to give all players decent playing time.
- Decent trophy to aim for
- Potential for some fun away days for supporters - and other big teams will be in EL too.

I mean what are the odds that Man City do miss out on Europe?

If it's likely they just won't get a ban than personally I couldn't care less about our remaining results and would rather just use them to get a tactic down, get our best players on the pitch together and see what they can all do.

Looking at the fixtures for all remaining teams, I can see us finishing probably 6th at best - which isnt going to be good enough for the Champions League, but far better than I Imagined after the disastrous campaign Pochettino put us through and I'd be happy with the EL.

Blood youngsters through, good way to give players match fitness against 'easier' opposition. An actual incentive to win it with a route through to the Champions League. A manager who actually would take it seriously and decent money.

Said it in another thread but this in the Europa League group stage:

Gazzaniga
Lusala - Alderweireld - Tanganga - Cirkin
Sissoko - Skipp - Roles
Clarke - Parrott - Lucas
Would be pretty cool to see.

Obviously the team changes depending on who we sign - so if we signed a new young right back for example, he could come in for Lusala (or play Aurier if he usurps him) - if Mourinho doesn't particularly rate Roles, then we know he rates Harvey White so put him in instead. If we sign Eze for example, put him in there instead of perhaps Clarke etc.

Last edited:

If it's likely they just won't get a ban than personally I couldn't care less about our remaining results and would rather just use them to get a tactic down, get our best players on the pitch together and see what they can all do.

Looking at the fixtures for all remaining teams, I can see us finishing probably 6th at best - which isnt going to be good enough for the Champions League, but far better than I Imagined after the disastrous campaign Pochettino put us through and I'd be happy with the EL.

Blood youngsters through, good way to give players match fitness against 'easier' opposition. An actual incentive to win it with a route through to the Champions League. A manager who actually would take it seriously and decent money.

Gazzaniga
Sissoko - Skipp - Roles
Clarke - Parrott - Lucas

Obviously the team changes depending on who we sign - so if we signed a new young right back for example, he could come in for Lusala (or play Aurier if he usurps him) - if Mourinho doesn't particularly rate Roles, then we know he rates Harvey White so put him in instead. If we sign Eze for example, put him in there instead of perhaps Clarke etc.

Just thinking about this atm.

So much evidence in the public domain that despite their denials, it might well be that its agreed its a compulsory one year ban (rather than multi year the evidence suggests they should get after midleading the previous UEFA investigation).

So 5th place might still be a CL place.

Love the idea of playing youngsters, but don't think we will be adventurous as you suggest.

May well depend on summer incomings but think 21 year old Roles needs a full season of minutes, so if possible a Championship loan. Same really goes for Jack Clarke who has hardly played this season.

Cirkin is certainly a possibity at LB for some matches, Lusala whilst excellent is only 17 and hasn't anything like as much as Cirkin - certainly a possibility as a sub though if he appears in pre-season.

.Moura doesn't get assists, think we need a winger or two who does get assists to help Parrott, otherwise he will struggle from lack of service .

Other issue will be that we need to progress in EL imo, so play some youngsters but try to go as far as we can, winning even better - and still accrue UEFA co-efficient points (count as well as cl points) which are important for the future these days

Gazzaniga
Sissoko - Skipp - Roles
Clarke - Parrott - Lucas

2 scenarios involving us blooding youngsters for remainder of the season....

1. They don't do that well and we miss out on Europe all together > The above XI you devised doesn't go on tour.
2. They do ok, a year of City's ban is upheld, we finish 6th and are left kicking ourselves about what could have been.

I understand your motive, but nah....

Go hard until the maths no longer work.

We've regressed massively over the last 18 months and are weaker than we've been at any point since Redknapp showed up.

The premier league is a very different mix of teams since then. The likes of Wolves, Leicester, Everton have very good squads and are now legitimate top 4 contenders for the next few seasons. We no longer have a big 4, we have a big 8.

The youngsters at United and Chelsea are now maturing into very good players and I'd expect that Woolwich will improve significantly over the next 2 seasons.

Have we regressed? I would not say so. We had a squad that peaked, are we are now rebuilding with younger players. Poch suffering health issues and stepping away was not part of the plan; but bringing in Mourinho was a coup and he certainly has the knack at building successful teams.

Sess, Ndom, GLC, Tanganga, Bergwijn, Alli, Winks, Skipp - all good young players who will hopefully lead the charge over the next few years. Also, Gedson has impressed Mourinho with his versatility and will likely sign on full time.

The premier league is a very different mix of teams since then. The likes of Wolves, Leicester, Everton have very good squads and are now legitimate top 4 contenders for the next few seasons. We no longer have a big 4, we have a big 8.

The youngsters at United and Chelsea are now maturing into very good players and I'd expect that Woolwich will improve significantly over the next 2 seasons.

Have we regressed? I would not say so. We had a squad that peaked, are we are now rebuilding with younger players. Poch suffering health issues and stepping away was not part of the plan; but bringing in Mourinho was a coup and he certainly has the knack at building successful teams.

Sess, Ndom, GLC, Tanganga, Bergwijn, Alli, Winks, Skipp - all good young players who will hopefully lead the charge over the next few years. Also, Gedson has impressed Mourinho with his versatility and will likely sign on full time.

Have I missed something?

United’s fixtures all look very winnable whereas we’ve got some tough ones still. Expecting us to make up a 4-point gap doesn’t seem realistic right now. The focus for the rest of the season should be to help Mourinho on fine tuning our squad and approach for next season.

I think Utd will get that 5th spot. Pogba returning is huge for them, and with the players coming back and the fixtures they have, they'll wrap that up.

I think we'll get 6th, and get Europa. I'd rather be in Europa than not, it's another competition can look to win and offers more revenue.

. I'd rather be in Europa than not, it's another competition can look to win and offers more revenue.

I wouldn't.

To make it worthwhile you need to win the whole thing. The prize money is buttons but you get to be in CL. Everything else is just rubbish - boring oppo from Eastern Europe or even further into the Stans. Urgh.

If you don't win it, it'll stop you getting Top 4. The AVB season was a classic example. Got injuries to Bale, Lennon and Moose - and missed out by one point? Poch sabotaged our 2016 season title attempt ditto. Dropped 7 pts in first 3 Sunday matches and could never get a lead over Leics after that.

Maureen will want to win it, so forget about rotation. Harry had the right idea - it's for players coming back from injury and testing out the likes of Eyoma, Skipp, BLF et al.

Even with the kids playing I'd still go and see. Fab stadium and a tenner a ticket, what's not to like. But Kane will be played and he'll get injured.

No thanks

I wouldn't.

To make it worthwhile you need to win the whole thing. The prize money is buttons but you get to be in CL. Everything else is just rubbish - boring oppo from Eastern Europe or even further into the Stans. Urgh.

If you don't win it, it'll stop you getting Top 4. The AVB season was a classic example. Got injuries to Bale, Lennon and Moose - and missed out by one point? Poch sabotaged our 2016 season title attempt ditto. Dropped 7 pts in first 3 Sunday matches and could never get a lead over Leics after that.

Maureen will want to win it, so forget about rotation. Harry had the right idea - it's for players coming back from injury and testing out the likes of Eyoma, Skipp, BLF et al.

Even with the kids playing I'd still go and see. Fab stadium and a tenner a ticket, what's not to like. But Kane will be played and he'll get injured.

No thanks
We aren't winning the league, so rule that out.

Europa League is the next best prize after UCL and the league. Kane might not play in the group stage, probably will in the knockout stages.

Players want to play in Europe. Mourinho is capable of winning us the Europa and a domestic trophy.

United’s fixtures all look very winnable whereas we’ve got some tough ones still. Expecting us to make up a 4-point gap doesn’t seem realistic right now. The focus for the rest of the season should be to help Mourinho on fine tuning our squad and approach for next season.

Is that the winning mentality everyone craves so much?

......Our target is still possible but fuck it cos it looks tough?

Sad to read this and similar over and over.

I wouldn't.

No thanks

I was warming to the prospect of Europa league but to be honest those points are hard to argue with. Looking back on it now the two teams we were actually in a title race with both had no European football to contend with. Not that we would win the league anyway.

I think I can see the benefits of both outcomes, all I am certain of is that we won’t be in the champions league next season. So either outcome is a step backwards and I just want us to recover as quickly as possible from it.

Back
Top Bottom