Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry caught the edit late.

We do not have a #1, Davies is not a #1 quality LB, he is terrible.

Davies IS #1. Tough shit if you don't rate him, but switching your attention to him doesn't make your "no back up" argument any stronger.

As long as we score a decent #1 RB then that'll do for now.... If we score a young RB in the next window or two then bonus!

I don't think since you've been here you have praised 1 spurs player. Everyone is either terrible or your favourite word everyone sucks. It's amazing we've done as well as we have with so many players that suck or that are terrible

You are wrong, which isn't suprising consider how much time you spend looking for my posts to spam with dislikes, as though that is some big dig at me! LOL

I will say again the fact that we just finished 6th and had what many would agree is a frustrating, if not down right awful season and people are surprised that not every fan loves every player surprises me.

The fact that some fans think you have to love and overrate every single player on a team or you are not a fan is one of the dumbest aspects of fandom there is.

I have repeatedly defended and spoke glowingly about many Spurs players. I have been very up front about my concerns with the team as well. If it is too much for you to handle criticisms about a team that just finished 6th, when I think for the club and most fans is not what we see as our goal, then I would recommend you just put me on ignore (if they have that feature) or scroll past my posts.

There is no need to sugar coat things with this or any club. It doesn't make our team or players any better to overrate them. It doesn't make you a better fan to ignore the clear issues we have.

If that is what you need to do as a fan then go right ahead but to try and tell other fans (especially when you get it so wrong) how they have to cheer for the team is dumb and pointless.

As for amazing to have done what we have, we finished 6th, went out early in the League and FA Cup to weak teams and were blown out in the CL. Not exactly what I would consider doing well.

On most occasions he puts in a 5.5/10 - 6.5/10 performance, he is certainly not great, but I wouldn't call him a terrible fullback either. Relatively reliable.

I would say it depends on what you want. I see us as a Top 4, Champions League level team. I think that is a reasonable goal for us and I think Davies is not close to being at that level.

I also think the narrative that Ben gives us a 5.5-6.5 out of 10 each week is bogus. People have been lulled into the idea that he is steady eddy guy but the reality is he is often in trouble defensively and rarely gives us more than a 5 out of 10, and often below that.

He is reliable in that he won't have a worldly game in which he is creating a lot or wow you like that, but will consistently bring zero going forward and mediocrity in defense. I think it is fair to want more out of a starting player than that.

I would say it depends on what you want. I see us as a Top 4, Champions League level team. I think that is a reasonable goal for us and I think Davies is not close to being at that level.

I also think the narrative that Ben gives us a 5.5-6.5 out of 10 each week is bogus. People have been lulled into the idea that he is steady eddy guy but the reality is he is often in trouble defensively and rarely gives us more than a 5 out of 10, and often below that.

He is reliable in that he won't have a worldly game in which he is creating a lot or wow you like that, but will consistently bring zero going forward and mediocrity in defense. I think it is fair to want more out of a starting player than that.
For too many fans players are either brilliant or terrible, but as I said I think Ben Davies is the perfect example somewhere in between, relatively reliable defensively, not much doing forward. Needless to say we could do better than him, but Mourinho rates him and a new left-back isn't a priority this window.

Davies IS #1. Tough shit if you don't rate him, but switching your attention to him doesn't make your "no back up" argument any stronger.

As long as we score a decent #1 RB then that'll do for now.... If we score a young RB in the next window or two then bonus!

I wasn't switching my attention to him I just added something you posted.

Jesus you love trying to make up what other people's arguments are rather than just dealing with what is said.

We have a big concern when it comes to the back-up LB spot whether you like it or not.

Jeeesus..... You're just blowing hot air..

Sess played at LB in the EPL.... We also have Rose in emergencies.

We have FOUR LBs. FFS.
Yh but haven't you heard they're all shit like the rest of the squad...

Have I missed something?

We finished 6th after some horrific form since the season before and clearly the squad and staff were affected by the CL final defeat.

The new players who came didn't hit the ground running. Players have left. Poch got sacked. Jose in, a whole transition has happened.

Had some rotten luck with injurys.

Still managed to get a respectable league position and europa league atleast.

We do need to improve but sick of people writing us off as if we as a club are going nowhere or have a shit squad.

It is in everyone's best interest to improve. The owners(yes ENIC)
The manager and his staff
The players

For too many fans players are either brilliant or terrible, but as I said I think Ben Davies is the perfect example somewhere in between, relatively reliable defensively, not much doing forward. Needless to say we could do better than him, but Mourinho rates him and a new left-back isn't a priority this window.

Sure a new left back isn't priority this window but does that mean we shouldn't want the position upgraded or just ignore that it is a weakness?

I have repeatedly defended and spoke glowingly about many Spurs players.

"Repeatedly"?????

That's such horseshit.... You really haven't.

Outside of Son & Kane (assuming you like them); do you rate any of our players?

Serge, Dier, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Lucas, Bergwijn, GLC, Ndombele, Gedson have all been cussed by you for one reason or another.... Much like the manager and the owners. Hart & PEH both received a fat "meh".... You want Rose gone.... Doesn't leave many...

Toby? Hugo? Gazzaniga? Sessengon?

Be a cliche and call me a happy clapper if you wish; regardless, there are plenty of balanced posters here.... But you sir however are NOT one of them.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Just read the last few pages, took a break from the site but nice to see it's still in full flow :roflmao:

All i have to say is...
  • Davies is not good enough.
  • Rose is finished, looked past it at Newcastle and he is happy to play for us now because even Newcastle don't want him. If you were in his position, of course you would want to play for Spurs again.
  • Cirkin isn't ready.
  • Sess isn't a left back.

Igula Igula is right that Spurs fans should be concerned with the lack of quality at left back. Unfortunately, this has been the case for multiple seasons and I don't see us addressing the issue this window. The only hope is we sign a stud of a right back that can make up for how awful the wide left side is.

With Son or Bergwijn mainly playing off the left, they will be cutting in obviously. Since Davies is no threat out wide, our play just gets congested in the middle and forced to the right (we all remember how many times Aurier just whipped in a shit cross because nothing was on).

Yh but haven't you heard they're all shit like the rest of the squad...

Have I missed something?

We finished 6th after some horrific form since the season before and clearly the squad and staff were affected by the CL final defeat.

The new players who came didn't hit the ground running. Players have left. Poch got sacked. Jose in, a whole transition has happened.

Had some rotten luck with injurys.

Still managed to get a respectable league position and europa league atleast.

We do need to improve but sick of people writing us off as if we as a club are going nowhere or have a shit squad.

It is in everyone's best interest to improve. The owners(yes ENIC)
The manager and his staff
The players

Absolutely...

I look forward to this season with positive anticipation....

- We've been linked with players in every position that concerns me.
- I think we'll see a better Jose.
- With any luck well see more of Kane in terms of appearances and re-found form & fitness.
- GLC & Bergwijn should kick on.
- We have many young players that have room for continued growth (be that already playing or knocking on the door of the seniors)
- Ndombele: Wild card.... Will he kick on? Will he be sold and replaced with an similarly exciting alternative? Pretty much the only way he stays is if he's committed.

....Still, some reserve their right to fear "bottom 6" and are convinced they have this supporter thing sussed. #Winning. :freundgoal:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom