Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, you fucking picked them - it's your job to motivate them, push them on and get the best out of them.

I saw so many different systems today, looked like the players had no idea what they were doing most of the time.

He's had a pre-season to sort this out, yes it's been affected by covid but so has everyone else's? Everton looked well organised, structured and actually had a functioning midfield.

yeah... if the team had just cried to the ref about where the FK was taken, the game would have been won...

hope he doesn't believe what he is saying.
Thats all he's got, be nastier, buy 'charachters' in their mid to late 20's, moan more. We wont be watching an energtic, tactical side with him in charge. He is a man out of his time. Said before we've got late 80's/early 90's Clough not the mid to late 70's version.

Can some please explain to me this advanced right back tactic with the left back staying deep and moving into a back 3. I have been following the game nearly 30 years and have never come across this. I don’t see how this benefits the team in anyone way apart from making it predictable and lopsided

I wonder how much of that is due to tactics and how much is due to the fact we have a LB that is useless going forward and only positive that he has is that he can play CB as well.

Because he hasn't worked well for us at all, it makes little sense from a theoretical perspective and limits what is already a limited team.

When Jose tells these players they are too nice, this is exactly the reason. You can't allow a free kick to get moved up into a better position. Kids stuff, you stand on the ball to prevent it moving or being played early.
This "too nice" stuff is just total bullshit. Our players are well known for going ballistic and injuring opponents when we are losing and making nasty tackles.

The truth is that their mentality is poor. Their level of effort is poor. Their work rate is poor. That's how it is. They are far from "nice guys".

But Mou really brought his A game with excuses today.

It's not ok, it's down to Jose to get them pressing, if he can't then he's not doing a good job, pretty simple.

Unlike you mate, I am not tied to any bias, Jose is just a manager to me, if he doesn't bring success then he can be replaced.

However, I don't trust the man above him to hire a suitable replacement and even if he did, I trust him even less to back that replacement and make signings.

This isn't an excuse for Jose either, that's the reality, we will always be fucked as long as these owners are at the club.
Why mention bias? I made a call based on what I thought based on what I have seen. Nothing, not a single game I've seen has my opinion changed. It's for him to have us play in a way that changes my mind, he didn't even have to achieve this last year by winning a game, all he had to do was show green shoots of a modern progressive style of football (why this style? Because I see it as a)entertaining b) more likely to have us win). Now he's been here TEN MONTHS that holiday is over.

If he thinks our team is "lazy at pressing" then he just dug himself into an even deeper hole. a) This was once one of the most highest pressing teams in Europe b) Just saying "pressing" doesn't mean a team will if there is no plan on how to do it. This isn't an u10's game, it's not about closing your oppo down, it's doing it cohesively, as a unit, with triggers and belief. This takes hours and hours of work on the training pitch. There has to be a purpose behind it, what are the traps? What areas of the pitch do you want to win it in? Who are we targeting? He is beginning to show that he doesn't know how to get a team to press, other than say "press".

It's painfully obvious we are heading into games just playing for a cleansheet.

If we happen to get a goal, fine, we continue to play for a cleansheet and either nick another due to open space or we keep a cleansheet and we win.

However, if a team then manages to open the scoring - we are fucked. Because we don't have the creativity to turn it around and our predictability makes it very easy to actually defend against.

Something needs to change. Sadly, we haven't truly seen change in 10 months.

I wonder how much of that is due to tactics and how much is due to the fact we have a LB that is useless going forward and only positive that he has is that he can play CB as well.

Because he hasn't worked well for us at all, it makes little sense from a theoretical perspective and limits what is already a limited team.
I'm going to lay out my pentagram and candles on the floor and chant Reguilón for the rest of the evening. Night, all.

18253f83f47c377d32fb360306a6c60a.gif

I don’t think it has anything to with Davies who can go forward.

It feels like variation of the long ball to the target man/striker tactic. It’s almost as if he has read some statistics that right backs contribute to a large percentage of goals and placed huge significance on this. It’s extremely one dimensional and not actually effective

I must admit that watching the Amazon documentary started making me feel some respect for him as a person (I have always despised him before he joined us) , even if to me it's not quite clear what is so special about him in terms of the motivation he brings ... I would be surprised if other managers don't use the same words he uses in the dressing room, but let's assume (and hope) that a lot of his"secrets" have been kept secret and not shown in the documentary

Even before this game, I realised that I have developed a different way of "feeling" a Spurs game with thin new regime. A kind of low risk low reward sensation. When we lose , I often end up thinking "yes, ok, we were shite, so we deserved to lose" . When we win , I often feel like " oh, we didn't look great but at least we won" . Definitely a more desensitised feeling about all this. So no, I don't feel too depressed about today's defeat

Yes, maybe we will win some cup, and I would be very happy if we do, but ultimately I hope we will see some stuff that makes me feel proud and excited, some stuff that gives me "that" match dat feeling. If not, oh well, nobody lasts for ever... we will just move on...

On our post-lockdown performance I judged him as doing very well, considering.

New season, a few new additions, new vibe, new evaluation.
I don’t recall us playing well in any of those games post-lockdown, can you? A few good spells against Newcastle and that’s it. Awful against Sheff Utd, awful against Bournemouth and so on. When we won, we were still fucking shit. Sure, points wise it was a good return but the signs weren’t encouraging. Today it just confirmed it.

Back
Top Bottom