Amazon fly-on-the-wall documentary about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From watching that, i see its definitely not the managers fault its the teams mentality, the team needs 3 or 4 more players that can boss games about, i know Mourinho is trying not to be negative, but this team lacks balls and are spineless.
Poch did wonders with the team to get them so far but with important players now gone and what we are left with is the average weak players who have had it easy with world class players around them to pick up the pieces.

Im not going to think too much about the everton game tbh, if what Mourinho says is true that half the team have had coronavirus pretty recently that would explain the lethargic play as the virus can really screw up your lungs and fitness.

If after 10 games were mid table then ill start to worry as i dont think the players will respond to anyone even if we bin Mourinho and change managers its just going to be the same, we need at least 3 transfer windows and cash spent.

Half the team has had coronavirus?

I had it. Even after you feel “well”, you have random periods where you don’t have any symptoms other than you feel like shit. I had two weeks of symptoms followed by four weeks of feeling like shit off and on.

Jose: "The best way to win is, in fact, not to concede goals". I don't like that mentality one bit

I fully agree. The first minutes of episode 7, when Jose talks about the importance of not conceding goals sums up his footballing ideas. It is all about defending, all about not conceding. The best way to win is not, in fact, to not concede goals. You have to fucking score to win a match. Not conceding does not win you a game if you do not fucking score.

He also says that "Any result if we don't concede goals is a good result". Fucking pathetic. That was from a home game. No wonder his teams are clueless and hesitant when going forwards. Their heads are filled with "do not concede, do NOT concede!".

The same episode shows a great example of his piss poor mentality management. He talks about how they have put on a video in the changing room showing all the goals the team has conceded, and is upset that someone turned it off. Rubbing their mistakes in their faces will not make them perform, it will make them anxious, afraid to make mistakes, upset, annoyed at each other, lose confidence. Any mental coach worth his salt will tell you to focus on the positives, not the negatives.

Mourinho is an absolute fucking dinosaur. He is poison. I have said it for a decade. There are so many fucking clear signs.

I do think it's weird how hands on Levy is. Does Abramovich have breakfast at Chelsea's training ground every day. It does seem like he is way too close to the football side of things and the chat with Ndombele confirms this - if that has to happen then it should be a joint effort with Jose.

On the topic of Ndombele, I thought it was telling when he gave a smirk and said because I love football when asked about why he wanted to be a footballer. This is a guy chilling with his £200k a week wage and to be honest it doesn't seem like he has the attitude required to make it to the top of the game.

Overall the doc was a 7/10 for me. It started to get a bit samey with the pre match and half-time 30 second clips and so much time spent with the medical staff but it was an interesting insight none the less.

The big takeaway for me is that the dynamic of that changing room was never one with a winning mentality. As much as some may despise Mourinho he does know what it takes to win and can you imagine the difference between changing rooms with Ramos, Zanetti, Terry and our lot.

We have man-children in Son, Lucas and Dele "I made beans for the first time" Alli. A quiet leader who doesn't seem to demand much from his team mates and sulks in silence, Kane.

Senior players who don't seem to command the room (Toby, Jan, Dier) with the exception maybe of Hugo.

Then you have people like Ben Davies who just look happy to be there.

Where is that arrogance and aggression you get from a team like Liverpool? Trent, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson prove it's not just an age/seniority thing, it's about an individual player's self confidence.

Overall the dynamic is not conducive to success in my opinion but it is no short term fix to get that right.

Also, I just realized that if I put together first few episodes of the show with last games of last season and first of the new one, I could summarize one of the main issues -

Players who have balls and edge are technically total shit, players who are technically brilliant are mentally weak/average.

First category - Dier; Lamela; Moura
2nd category - Kane, Son, Ndombele

Back
Top Bottom