Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham; Sunday 18th October; 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unreal to think , but Dier plays this game and we don’t concede.

You’re probably right. I think one of the effects of this game will be that Dier has been cemented as Joses no 1 CB. From now on it will be Dier plus another.

The broader context of what happened is getting lost. After the first 20 minutes, I don’t think we played great football. We looked sharp in moments but this wasn’t like the Utd performance where the clinical finishing was matched by positive possession. We thought we had won within 20 minutes. The arrogance of it is shocking. Jose needs to rip a few heads off.

It started off as "How many are we going to score ?" and ended up as "How the fuck did that happen ?". Too complacent second half by far and you know once they score and get a sniff of a chance of a result they will be like a rat with a stick.
There is an expression "An embarassment of riches", let's hope it never ever comes to haunt us. Certainly not a cause for doom and gloom today but definitely a sobering lesson. Two set pieces and we concede two goals which together with a panicky clearance that results in an own goal gives them a share of the points.
Superb chance to go second thrown away and we go sixth instead, just behind Woolwich. Why we have this propensity for shooting ourselves in the foot defies logic. Let's hope we learn and move on.
:coys:

The reason we always have a discussion on this is because you whine about the back-up striker issue when talking about the CB position. You have a pathetic need to link them and then make up so nonsense about us not needing a back-up striker.

No absolutely everyone was not living in last season, the vast majority if not everyone wanted to upgrade the CB issue. Skriniar was a massive point of discussion for this board and amongst other fans. For you to try and spin this made up narrative that nobody wanted to address the CB issue is ridiculous.

We needed both a back-up striker and a CB upgrade which is why we went so hard for Skriniar, brought in Rodon and got Vinicius.

I know it is a shock to you but apparently it was possible to address more than one need.

No we had the discussion because I was telling everyone the defence was the main priority whereas you well within the herd saying that a back up striker was. That’s is all we heard all summer on here and all of the other Spurs boards. If you believe that it was the same for a centre back then you are a bigger liar than I first thought. News flash a back up striker wasn’t a major priority - not when we signed Bale. A top level CB was, you could see that from last season, you can see that from our starting options. All I have heard is how this has been an unbelievable window so why pretend there was a great clamour for a CB or that this was in the same level as a back striker? Vinicius was a major priority for you - good for you, you can take great comfort in him starting against the likes of Antwerp and Stoke. A club cannot address all of it issues in one window, it doesn’t have the financial or time resources available. Again it didn’t need a striker after Bale, it needed a top level CB From the start and didn’t get that.

The guy was running away from our goal towards the touchline, Serge didn't need to go within a yard of him.
That was the Sissoko foul. The serge play is where Serge actually 'controls' the ball that the guy jumps in front of him...but there was no foul unlike the Sissoko play.

Absolutely shocking lack of character from the squad to not close this out. Unbelievable. Still, at least I can console myself by splashing out with my £10 STH voucher.

:mourcheeks:

Actually a relatively sensible post match analysis on here.

Good points being made.
More so than Winks coming on, I thought taking off Tanguy was unnecessary. He was keeping the ball. Also they were having joy on our right hand side. Bergwijn wasn't coming back much, so took him off for Bale. Bale didn't track. But thought that was the wrong sub. Lucas should have come on to play right side. Lucas ended up left side and was all at sea. People will blame Sanchez for the 2nd goal but Lucas just let his man go.

My biggest issue is the fact we aren't ruthless enough. We killed them in the first half. Continue playing that way throughout the game. We did it against united. Coming out 2nd half just hoping to play out the half is an absolute shocking and schoolboy error. Anything can happen in football, especially in the prem. You don't just hope people will pack it in because they are losing.

Think the lesson needs to be learnt now. Astounding that pro players have to be told this. Jose has to own up to this too and not blame all the players.

Biggest weakness defensively is giving away dumb free kicks. We can't defend balls into the box. Have to sort this out.

Also thought Winks was fouled, off the ball block off by Ogbonna before lanzini had a shot.

Unreal to think , but Dier plays this game and we don’t concede.

That is pretty doubtful.

A. it assumes that he replaces Sanchez and not Toby, in which case all 3 goals still go in and we concede more because of the downgrade from Toby to Dier

B. if it is a Dier-Toby pair Dier likely creates his own issues like he always does or deals poorly with the same plays Sanchez does because he sucks worse than Sanchez.

2 points from 9 at home. ?........And there's a new thread dedicated to the prospect of us winning the league title

tenor.gif
Suprised there isn't 1 dedicated to us winning the CL! :baletroll:

Exactly. We rarely ever win the smaller trophies let alone the bigger ones. So why should we expect lots of success. Just a bigger let down in the end.

Agreed. I never bought into this we’re challenging for the title nonsense. Yes we had a good transfer window and yes the traditional big teams are faltering but we’re not a title challenging team. (Ironically, the one manager that actually got us into a title fight - Poch - gets abuse from many fans)

Give me top 4 and and FA cup or Europa League triumph and I’ll consider it a great season esp after what happened last year

Everyone seemed to expect us to get the champions clap coming on the pitch, like we've won something. This league is too tough to take any opponent, any game, any lead lightly. Jose can kick some ass now.

It started off as "How many are we going to score ?" and ended up as "How the fuck did that happen ?". Too complacent second half by far and you know once they score and get a sniff of a chance of a result they will be like a rat with a stick.
There is an expression "An embarassment of riches", let's hope it never ever comes to haunt us. Certainly not a cause for doom and gloom today but definitely a sobering lesson. Two set pieces and we concede two goals which together with a panicky clearance that results in an own goal gives them a share of the points.
Superb chance to go second thrown away and we go sixth instead, just behind Woolwich. Why we have this propensity for shooting ourselves in the foot defies logic. Let's hope we learn and move on.
:coys:
I, particulary, hate this kind of stuff. But fans can have that kind of mentality. Our problem is that it seems our players thinks like that. And we have done shite this season to feel as the best team in the world despite the United game. We are having the same kind of behavior we had when we lost the title to Leicester, and it's the beggining of session. If we continue to act like this we aren't making even the top 4.

Back
Top Bottom