Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree, get behind Jose and the team by all means. No need to denigrate the fine work of Pochettino and the rest of his staff.

He took us to the heights we never dreamed were possible without being taken over by some oil rich billionaire or and actual state and for the majority of his tenure we played some great attacking football and bloodied the nose of many a giant. All whilst we moved from the the Old Lane to the New via Wembley.

The amount of disrespect some are showing is absolutely shocking imo.
I have not disrespected the man in any way and would be the first to thank him for all he did but that chapter in the club's history is written and we now move on.
True success as a manager and club is measured in winning things and that is an indisputable fact.
Let's hope by having a recognised winner in Jose he can take us to the next level.

I didn't slag him off I said I fully appreciated how he developed the squad but felt he'd taken us as far as he could. We are indebted to him but now we need to go that step further.
I agree with most of your posts, mate, but I must say that in my opinion you were wrong when in your first post tonight (I am paraphrasing, correct me if I am wrong) you said: " what achievements ? he hasn't won any trophy"
I have never heard that Poch was hired to win trophies, nor I have ever expected that. Yes , it could have happened and I feel sorry we didn't, but that to me has never been the objective he would have been assessed on.

We all have our opinions and we all had our personal emotions from that time that now has gone for good, but I don't think that it's fair to judge Poch for the lack of trophies. On the contrary, ll the comments about such lack are one of the biggest sign of how well he did with him, because we went on to play for some trophy that was unimaginable before him

I agree with most of your posts, mate, but I must say that in my opinion you were wrong when in your first post tonight (I am paraphrasing, correct me if I am wrong) you said: " what achievements ? he hasn't won any trophy"
I have never heard that Poch was hired to win trophies, nor I have ever expected that. Yes , it could have happened and I feel sorry we didn't, but that to me has never been the objective he would have been assessed on.

We all have our opinions and we all had our personal emotions from that time that now has gone for good, but I don't think that it's fair to judge Poch for the lack of trophies. On the contrary, ll the comments about such lack are one of the biggest sign of how well he did with him, because we went on to play for some trophy that was unimaginable before him
Fair comment. I never meant to disrespect the guy or his contribution to the club's development. I just feel that sometimes our love for Poch clouds our perspective a little.
I am hungry for success and by that I mean seeing Harry lift a cup or title and then hand it to Son, knowing both of them are happy and not looking to move on but stay and win more.
You have made your point well and courteously, if my comments came over that way then I apologise. Arcspace had a way of winding me up and perhaps temper took over from reasoning. It won't happen again, he's on ignore.
:dierpochhug:

Last edited:
Suddenly the media will love him. Wait for Durham to start sucking him off.
I'm not in the uk so my viewpoint may be a bit skewed.

Since his 3rd season, I've always felt like he was appreciated (by the media) but in spite of us. Sort of like he was bigger than the club, he wouldn't win nothing with us, he'd eventually move to Madrid/Barca/United, where he win lots of trophies and we'd be back to a perennial EL side.

For most of 2019, it seemed like Poch bought into that as well.

Mind you, much of the football coverage I get is from the US/Canada (ESPNFC/DAZN) so anything that's not Ronaldo/Madrid/Barca/Pep/United/Chelsea or Liverpool is always playing 2nd fiddle. We'll get a bit of coverage now and again when they want to says Mourinho is 'done' and 'finished'.

Fair comment. I never meant to disrespect the guy or his contribution to the club's development. I just feel that sometimes our love for the guy clouds our perspective a little.
I am hungry for success and by that I mean seeing Harry lift a cup or title and then hand it to Son, knowing both of them are happy and not looking to move on but stay and win more.
You have made your point well and courteously, if my comments came over that way then I apologise. Arcspace had a way of winding me up and perhaps temper took over from reasoning. It won't happen again, he's on ignore.
:dierpochhug:
No, mate you don't have to apologise. We are having a positive discussion here, imo:dierpochhug:

No, mate you don't have to apologise. We are having a positive discussion here, imo:dierpochhug:
Yes I do, I would never intentionally slag Poch off, I too remember that night against Ajax and without him I would never have experienced it. There's nothing wrong in apologising, I've never regarded it (as some do) as a sign of weakness. More an acceptance and acknowledgement of one's mistakes. They are the only things in life you truly learn from.
Onwards and forwards now with Jose and our squad.
:coys:

Yes I do, I would never intentionally slag Poch off, I too remember that night against Ajax and without him I would never have experienced it. There's nothing wrong in apologising, I've never regarded it (as some do) as a sign of weakness. More an acceptance and acknowledgement of one's mistakes. They are the only things in life you truly learn from.
Onwards and forwards now with Jose and our squad.
:coys:
Yes, now it's time to think about trophies, and with Jose they will come. COYS!!!

Yes, now it's time to think about trophies, and with Jose they will come. COYS!!!
Correct, no doubt I'll be peppered with 'Ha Ha' emoji's (or others) for some time by Arcspace now but I sincerely doubt that the guy has ever seriously apologised to anyone in his life. He spends most of his time posting what he considers to be scythingly witty one liners or insults in reply to other member's posts without ever really contributing anything worthwhile to any of the threads. He has no real opinion on anything and his messages carry a very hollow ring to them.

When he is engaged in a discussion and begins to lose the argument he resorts to what I call 'cheap shots' by calling out 'troll' or 'multi' and trying to twist your words so that he can gather support. I stupidly allowed myself to get drawn into an argument and replied with little thought of how my words could be interpreted. He's very good at baiting you like that. I genuinely feel sorry for the guy (there's that word again) because he has no humility or belief that he could ever be wrong in his assumptions.

I shall leave him on ignore, continue to enjoy the friendly banter and debate I have on here with everybody else and probably sigh pitifully as I see his emoji's tacked onto my posts.

So his sole requisite as the manager was to secure a CL place ? You really believe that ?
Yeah right, how exactly do you polish that and hold it aloft to the fans. Get real.
:mourfacepalm:
Come on - taking a mid table embarrassment (for most of the PL anyway) to competing consistently in the top 4 with our budget and in the transition from WHL to Wembley to NWHL was a fucking immense achievement. He took us to another planet from previous attempts in the PL era and up a level from the admirable attempts of Redknapp. Any manager doing that would have achieved huge success. We broke the Sky 5. Next level again is winning a PL but nobody has come closer than Poch so you’re doing him a wee bit of a disservice.

EDIT: he absolutely more than achieved his goals (the stadium was to facilitate a move to consistent CL qualification).

All managers are hired to be successful
To be successful you win things
Poch never did
When he by some miracle got us to the CL final he threatened to resign before the biggest game in our history thus screwing our chances

He had the best side in a generation and won nothing and won nothing before he came to us

He had a good two years and deserves some credit

But I don’t rate him as a manager
Maybe a decent coach but not in Jose’s league as a manager

All managers are hired to be successful
To be successful you win things
Poch never did
When he by some miracle got us to the CL final he threatened to resign before the biggest game in our history thus screwing our chances

He had the best side in a generation and won nothing and won nothing before he came to us

He had a good two years and deserves some credit

But I don’t rate him as a manager
Maybe a decent coach but not in Jose’s league as a manager
It goes down to personal opinions in the end , mate, and I respect yours.

I don't think that any manager must be respected only if he wins trophies, and I don't think that what we needed back then was a Mourinho type or manager. We do now, now and I am more than happy with him.

Another example of a manager that took us to a different level to me was Harry, and Jol before and although I wasn't always happy about them, I loved them , as much as I loved Poch and I love to have Mou now.
All the managers I have mentioned have given me unbelievable memories and emotions. This is the most intense feeling I can get from football.

Now, not before, I start to expect trophies (slowly, maybe , but it will happen). I want Spurs to be the best club in the world, and I think we will get into that range, with Mou and afterwards (maybe with ups and downs)

It goes down to personal opinions in the end , mate, and I respect yours.

I don't think that any manager must be respected only if he wins trophies, and I don't think that what we needed back then was a Mourinho type or manager. We do now, now and I am more than happy with him.

Another example of a manager that took us to a different level to me was Harry, and Jol before and although I wasn't always happy about them, I loved them , as much as I loved Poch and I love to have Mou now.
All the managers I have mentioned have given me unbelievable memories and emotions. This is the most intense feeling I can get from football.

Now, not before, I start to expect trophies (slowly, maybe , but it will happen). I want Spurs to be the best club in the world, and I think we will get into that range, with Mou and afterwards (maybe with ups and downs)
Fair enough

Maybe I’ve been spoiled with experiencing and even meeting the great Billy Nic
I loved Burkinshaw, Ossie, Tel, Jol, Harry and was proud to have them as our managers but boy did we have some pillocks in between

As I said Poch gave us two good years and brought some pride back as teams hated playing us
No one can take that away from him

Let’s move on with Jose
COYS

Fair enough

Maybe I’ve been spoiled with experiencing and even meeting the great Billy Nic
I loved Burkinshaw, Ossie, Tel, Jol, Harry and was proud to have them as our managers but boy did we have some pillocks in between

As I said Poch gave us two good years and brought some pride back as teams hated playing us
No one can take that away from him

Let’s move on with Jose
COYS
I feel very envious in a positive way of people like you who have experienced the 60s !

Yes, let's move on and go back where we truly belong!

COYS!

I get the feeling if Poch goes to United he’ll get eaten alive. That experiment will not end well.

Experiment?

They've had Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose and now Ole since Fergie left. Poch would do fine there and we all know it hence some of the panic.

Plenty of younger players he can get his teeth into and Donny and Bruno are both players he'll enjoy working with.

Pogba though I'm not so sure about.

Back
Top Bottom