Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes I feel that as a Spurs fan in Spurs forum I can call out pathetic and grumpy good-for-nothings about just pointless name-calling towards player who has been giving his best for Spurs (even if this best is lacking in quality at times).

BTW, yea, plenty of people (including myself) can see he has not made progress many Spurs fans hoped. But thats whole different thing than just randomly calling childish names.

Also - Yes, in fact I beleive he deserves more respect in the sense that he came through academy, is staying here and doing work, not making fuss about lack of playing time. Nothing to do with being sentimental. Avoiding name-calling and pointing out that name calling is stupid is just basic manners.

Haha, and I look cunt for... well, not supporting name calling of Spurs players in Spurs fan forum? Yea, sure Im the real cunt here... :D
What name-calling are you on about? People are mostly saying (in various ways) he's shit and contributes next to fuck all. Of course you can disagree, but that is standard fare for football supporters and has been since time immemorial. Maybe you need a thicker skin if that type of stuff really upsets you.

Winks definitely doesn't get any more stick on here than Sissoko or Davies and yet you're not up in arms about their treatment? You seem to think because he came through the Academy he should be treated differently to them, which is just fucking hypocritical. EVERY player that wears the shirt should be held to the same standards.

Also, you haven't got a clue about whether he makes a fuss about not playing enough. There are plenty of reports of him doing exactly that. He's been linked with at least 1 club in Spain multiple times so all the bollocks about him being 'Spurs through and through' is just laughable. He's a professional footballer and will do what's best for his career. If that meant leaving Spurs, he would be as likely to leave as anyone else.

We have given Winks a good go, but he's just not good enough. Might as well give Skipp a run in his place. Home grown for home grown, but at least with Skipp he might potentially come good. We can be pretty sure Winks won't, he seems to get worse as time goes on.
Always Winks to the ladies on your way home.

Dont get the winks hate tbh. Good squad option
I don't hate Winks. Far from it. But he's been off-colour for a long time and I think it would suit him being a demigod for a season in the championship league rather than struggling at PL level. The guy's confidence looks shot at the moment. Loan him out. Doing what Skipp's doing and running rampant with a team like Norwich would be a feel good season. Their fans love Oliver. Get those happy, creative moments flowing again.

Dont get the winks hate tbh. Good squad option
I was listening to our friend Steve Perryman on his latest podcast and he is concerned about how we are treating our home grown players as fans. I have to agree. Harry is one of our own.

I remember beating holders Real Madrid at Wembley not too long ago and Winks was exceptional. He was on top of his game then and can be again. He has had a bad spell along with the team.

He had a good performance against limited opposition on Thursday. Hopefully that brings some confidence back to him.

Last edited:
I think Winks has suffered, a bit like Dele, because it’s not quite clear where he plays. I couldn’t tell you if he’s a holding midfielder, a more attacking / creative one, or a bit of both - both Poch and Jose have asked him to be more defensive and he’s not really suited to it.

He will look better paired with better players (only one of Moussa / Harry at any time) - but he struggles in the deeper position, for certain, and I’m not convinced when he pushes on as he is so short of confidence.

I think Winks has suffered, a bit like Dele, because it’s not quite clear where he plays. I couldn’t tell you if he’s a holding midfielder, a more attacking / creative one, or a bit of both - both Poch and Jose have asked him to be more defensive and he’s not really suited to it.

He will look better paired with better players (only one of Moussa / Harry at any time) - but he struggles in the deeper position, for certain, and I’m not convinced when he pushes on as he is so short of confidence.
He is supposed to be a playmaker, pulling strings from deep midfield. That is the role both Poch and Mourinho have played him and dont think moving around excuse applies to him.

His issue is that he is not very good in any of the areas (passing, vision, positioning, physicality etc) that is needed to play the role at the highest level.

not sure we will sell him unless we get in another HG player, yes we have Skipp but we need a few HG players to allow us to have big combined squad

not sure we will sell him unless we get in another HG player, yes we have Skipp but we need a few HG players to allow us to have big combined squad
I'm struggling to think of HG players that are good enough to do a significantly better job than Harry but Jose wants him replaced and Harry wants out it seems.
H has now almost zero chance of making the Euros so it's a shame the business was not done in January.

Ohh look your knickers are in quite a twist aren't they? Who the fuck do you think you are to tell other people what they can and can't say about anyone? Fuck off and card yourself you soppy cunt.

Winks has not progressed as a player and plenty of people on here can see it. You seem to think he deserves some level of special care because he's a nice lad and came through the Academy. I don't because he's not good enough and unlike you i'm not sentimental or prepared to hide that opinion to prove what a great fan i am.

You can melt like the pompous fuckwit that you are but guess what the next time he plays and does fuck all you'll look like an even bigger cunt than you already do.

As for dedicating my life to posting shit about him, that's just your idiotic opinion. You've typed more words about my posts than i've ever done about him. So it's clear you've got fuck all else to do other than cry like a baby on the internet.
pathetic shameful supporter

surplus to requirements

He is not, and has never been a "defensive" midfielder

but people still batter him with the same stick

I use to love Winks and be an advocate for him staying

But recently..

I think he came on v Liverpool and Everton . I'd never seen a sub lose the ball so much and he was playing at CM where he's meant to retain the ball and give us control.

I've come to the conclusion that all he really does is pass the ball sideways and backwards and then most infuriating of all he just shoots from outside the box now for no reason. Nothing EVER goes on target.

If he wasn't homegrown he'd be long gone before now. Time to replace. Grant him his wish in la liga and move on best for all parties involved.

Not till Skipp comes back.

Shame to lose a HG player. He's Spurs through and through and no one could fault his attitude or effort
Yep. Skipp will be back in Summer and for me he just replaces Winks

He has a lot of effort but quality just ain't there. I thought it was I mean for me he was one of our best players in the CL finals but he's never improved from there..

Can't wait to see the back of him. As long as he is in the squad Mourinho will always be tempted to plonk him into the playing XI

Will he? Outside of a very brief run of matches a couple of months ago he has essentially been banished from the PL team this season.

The writing is on the wall for him. He is only ever going to be a reserve player from now on.

Back
Top Bottom