In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll keep it brief, interested to hear your thoughts though as you questioned my statement.

When poch signed for spurs, points aside Southampton were right up there, 2 places behind spurs at the end of the season, apositive goal difference, few goals conceded, plenty of draws but a sign that he could achieve with very little - age was also on his side.

Brighton have negative goal difference, won half as many games as spurs currently(bearing in mind the travesty of a season spurs are having) and are 15th fighting it out with burnley and Newcastle.

In any other industry it would be absurd to consider a move like this but apparently with football it's worth a punt because he's young and the football looks alright

I agree about Leicester being well run but they were struggling under Puel. He also took over a mess at Liverpool when they finished 8th and almost won them the title the year after. Celtic have been rubbish since he left as well. I know he is a bit of a dick, probably has his limitations and is never going to be someone here for 5 seasons but i think he's 2nd choice after Naglesmann. I think he'd have us in or around the top 4 and the football would be 100 times better than we've seen for 2 seasons. For me that will do for a couple of seasons.
Purl got fired for a poor, ineffective style of play (sound familiar). Leicester were also struggling to replace Kante and Mahrez .

Rodgers has benefited from brilliant recruitment at Leicester, at Liverpool he had no Europe and Luis Suarez (why no mention of his crap 18 months once Suarez left) , at Celtic it was a 1 team league and he still couldn’t get them to make an impact in Europe.

He is at best, Beta-Pochettino.

Managers have less of an impact than many of us give them credit for. Where would Klopp be without the recruitment team he has behind him at Liverpool? He's on record as saying he didn't want Salah for example. Similarly Rogers is benefitting from some very savvy transfer dealings at Leicester.

Improving our recruitment / scouting is the most important thing. Buy good players and we'll be in good shape, even if we pick a so-so manager.
You could buy the best player in the world in every position and still be nowhere. Still need to be put in a system, style, tactics that work by a manager

I'll keep it brief, interested to hear your thoughts though as you questioned my statement.

When poch signed for spurs, points aside Southampton were right up there, 2 places behind spurs at the end of the season, apositive goal difference, few goals conceded, plenty of draws but a sign that he could achieve with very little - age was also on his side.

Brighton have negative goal difference, won half as many games as spurs currently(bearing in mind the travesty of a season spurs are having) and are 15th fighting it out with burnley and Newcastle.

In any other industry it would be absurd to consider a move like this but apparently with football it's worth a punt because he's young and the football looks alright

The stats back up the thinking that they're a good striker away from rocketing up the table - the same sort of stats that showed that in Pochettinos last full season at Spurs, despite being close to the top of the table at the half way point of the season, we were in a false position and likely to plummet, which of course we did. Brighton don't have the luxury of a Kane or Son but if you were to add in the over performance to Brightons under performance then on paper that'd be an incredible swing of points that'd put them way above where a club like Brighton have any tight in being.

He has several years experience abroad taking a 4th tier Swedish to the Europa League over a few season where he beat teams like Woolwich & Galatasary away from home, won the Swedish Cup - he's shown adaptability to different challenges, shown he can find a waybto win those sorts of big games by tactically out thinking hos opponents and has shown he can build teams that ca

He's built a team with a stron

hadn't heard that before, interesting - do Brighton not have their own people employed in this sort of role?
At Östersund and Swansea he was part of Graham's squad as analyst. But when Graham moved to Brighton he moved into the position of head of scouting for Brighton. But his contract is as long as Potters and if Potter moves you assume that Macaulay will follow.

He's had the same team more or less since Östersund it seems.

So in a scenario where Potter comes to us, Macaulay could be made Head Scout/Head of Scouting and work under Hitchen who has the role of Technical Director.

I wonder if we would fire Jose before the summer, money be damned, in a hope to capture a CL spot. Or at least a Europa League spot, since that adds an avenue for getting back into CL next season.

Would show some ambition finally.

Back
Top Bottom