In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All these shit ass managers being linked with us and I haven’t seen one single report that we’re considering Ten Hag who I think is a mile better than Santo or Sarri. Ffs Tottenham

At least get Potter in if it’s not Nagelsmann or Ten Hag.

I’m wary of Ten Haag, he could be great yes, but again similar to Rodgers he’s at an extremely well run club.

Petr Bosz looked the business as well and flopped badly at Dortmund

I'll keep it brief, interested to hear your thoughts though as you questioned my statement.

When poch signed for spurs, points aside Southampton were right up there, 2 places behind spurs at the end of the season, apositive goal difference, few goals conceded, plenty of draws but a sign that he could achieve with very little - age was also on his side.

Brighton have negative goal difference, won half as many games as spurs currently(bearing in mind the travesty of a season spurs are having) and are 15th fighting it out with burnley and Newcastle.

In any other industry it would be absurd to consider a move like this but apparently with football it's worth a punt because he's young and the football looks alright

Do you watch Brighton?

I’m wary of Ten Haag, he could be great yes, but again similar to Rodgers he’s at an extremely well run club.

Petr Bosz looked the business as well and flopped badly at Dortmund
Bosz was bad at Dortmund but did decent at Leverkusen. I also think that Ten Hag is a better manager than Bosz, but the idea was that we’re linked with all sorts of managers who aren’t that good so why not Ten Hag? Can’t be worse than Wolves manager.

Also every managerial appointment comes with a risk of not working out, but if we’re not willing to take risks, we’ll be left behind.

Potter

I am in the state of mind.that if I say his name enough, it will come true!!!
I don’t get this obsession with Potter here, Brighton are where they always are, around the bottom 3 and he couldn’t get newly relegated Swansea promoted .
Yes they play football the right way, but he doesn’t get more positive results out of players . I don’t see how anyone can have him above Rodgers or Ten Hag, who are proven to play attractive football whilst also improving results on the pitch.

The ex Scum managers haven’t been brilliant either

Nope, and that provides a measure of the difficulty.

We all kind of know what we want although those who say style over results are a strange breed. Plaudits don't bring kudos but hey ho.

It's tough brining success to a club and invariably I feel you need to have a strong workable core, one or two youngsters about to make an impact and to to make your first transfer window a success. And you always need players who will give you their all.

I think we have some of the quality of player but they are scarred, not sure on the youngsters and the transfer window poser is always an unknown.

We might get the next manager right bit we are just as likely to not, and as above for caveats.

I don’t get this obsession with Potter here, Brighton are where they always are, around the bottom 3 and he couldn’t get newly relegated Swansea promoted .
Yes they play football the right way, but he doesn’t get more positive results out of players . I don’t see how anyone can have him above Rodgers or Ten Hag, who are proven to play attractive football whilst also improving results on the pitch.
And I personally don't get the fascination with Rodgers. He hasn't made Leicester much better either. He's gotten them back to playing for European places each season. But they've also become a half a season team, with them starting to stutter during the tail end of both his seasons in charge.

Potter is a promising manager that shows a lot of signs of being able to become a big name. He's worth gambling on like we did with a certain Argentine a few years ago.

All these shit ass managers being linked with us and I haven’t seen one single report that we’re considering Ten Hag who I think is a mile better than Santo or Sarri. Ffs Tottenham

At least get Potter in if it’s not Nagelsmann or Ten Hag.

Yeah I'm surprised Ten Hag isn't linked more. Like you say in another post any managerial choice is a risk but with someone like Ten Hag at least you know the football will be modern, technical and attractive. He can mould young players, isn't afraid of a touch of experience in his teams too, considering the state we are in right now on the pitch and off it he could be the right man.

And I personally don't get the fascination with Rodgers. He hasn't made Leicester much better either. He's gotten them back to playing for European places each season. But they've also become a half a season team, with them starting to stutter during the tail end of both his seasons in charge.

Potter is a promising manager that shows a lot of signs of being able to become a big name. He's worth gambling on like we did with a certain Argentine a few years ago.
When Rodgers took over they were a mid table team, had come 9th season before and were sitting 12 th after 26 games .
He Came 5th in his first full season and is currently sitting in 3rd, I would say he has definitely improved results for them lol.

Brightons last 2 finishes under Hughton were 15th and 17th
Potter finished 15th last season and they're currently 15th this season, if had taken them into the top half or something like that i would understand the clamour for potter more.

Last edited:
I'd prefer us to get in a manager who has a track record of successfully implementing his methods and style at multiple clubs.

Names like Sarri, Ten Haag, even Nagelsmann concern me to an extent because their successes seem to have largely been with one club. In these cases you're left with the question of whether the success was down to the manager himself or the perfect storm of club infrastructure, players, circumstance and the manager all perfectly aligning.

Now on the face of it, you might look at the proven track record at multiple clubs and point to Mourinho and how that has turned out, but I'm not specifically referring to silverware. Using Potter as an example, he had his success on a small scale in Sweden, has moved to Brighton and seemingly successfully transferred his methods over smoothly.

I don't know much about Sarri, and I'm too lazy to Google, but it's a red flag to me that his main success was his spell at Napoli, and he has then been bombed out of 2 clubs after 1 season despite winning silverware.

TLDR, I would like Potter, see if he can continue his upward trajectory.

Back
Top Bottom